PDA

View Full Version : Finally Pictures!

bitsilly
08-11-09, 01:51 PM
I have finally uploaded a few photos of my Rams build, and the finished article.
They are not vary informative technicnally speaking, but it's a start!
If anyone wants any particular shots (esp.Danny), just let me know.
Cheers
Ed

dolphinboy400
08-11-09, 08:13 PM
beautiful job mate , looks great! You should be proud :D

nice work on the roll hoop mod, why did you raise it and was it harder getting the body on afterwards?

The other thing i noticed was the connecting peice from the rear hub to the 2 rear shocks, i dont have those. Is it an addition from you or part of the original kit?

bitsilly
08-11-09, 08:40 PM
Cheers.
I raised it cos the mounting points for SVAable harnesses needed to be solid and triangulated.
The boy went on fine afterwards, I had measured the distance to the body and extended by a little less.
Not sure which piece you mean,, but the unfinished kit came like that, so I left it as.
I did fit traction control pick ups there for traction control??

dolphinboy400
08-11-09, 08:43 PM
Cheers.
I raised it cos the mounting points for SVAable harnesses needed to be solid and triangulated.
The boy went on fine afterwards, I had measured the distance to the body and extended by a little less.
Not sure which piece you mean,, but the unfinished kit came like that, so I left it as.
I did fit traction control pick ups there for traction control??

ya maybe thats it , it goes from the bottom of the hub to the mounting point for the rear shock.

mylesdw
08-11-09, 08:47 PM
I noticed those brackets too. They're not a Ram part but maybe they might be Jag and most people don't used them. I can't quite see what they do.

craggle
08-11-09, 09:23 PM
You mean these plates?

If so they are Jag parts and were fitted to my donor which was a 1990 XJR-S

I re-fitted them as I thought they can do no harm and I had them. My guess though is they are nothing more than a tie down point for transporting the car from the factory on a flat bed trailer.

Craig.

mylesdw
08-11-09, 09:26 PM
Sounds like a pretty good guess to me; I can't see what else they'd do.

dolphinboy400
08-11-09, 11:48 PM
You mean these plates?

If so they are Jag parts and were fitted to my donor which was a 1990 XJR-S

I re-fitted them as I thought they can do no harm and I had them. My guess though is they are nothing more than a tie down point for transporting the car from the factory on a flat bed trailer.

Craig.

yep them the ones :)

If they are just a tie down then surely it would be better to remove them , as they could restrict movement?

craggle
09-11-09, 08:12 AM
They won't restrict anything as they move with the suspension and there's nothing in the way for them to bump into.

Their not doing any harm so I'll leave them there.

Another thought is they were supports for the cradle the car sits on when travelling down the production line when the car was being built?

Craig.

bitsilly
09-11-09, 08:52 AM
Had a close look at the Ram build manual, and it's very difficult to make out, but I don't think they are shown.

They're 'go faster' bits then.

Purple AK
09-11-09, 05:47 PM
According to the Jaguar rear axle build DVD, They are "strengthening brackets which, may or may not be used depending on the model" ;)

craggle
09-11-09, 08:52 PM
Strengthening brackets.

I like that description. I'll keep them on there! :p

Craig.

Mac Stowt
09-11-09, 09:25 PM

The attachment identifies it as a tie down bracket, Craggle take a bow.

Terry

Purple AK
09-11-09, 09:31 PM

The attachment identifies it as a tie down bracket, Craggle take a bow.

Terry Having just trawled every pdf catalogue from SNG Barrett! I make you right Terry (and Craig) It seems to only appear on the XJS as "Rear Tie Down Bracket"

craggle
09-11-09, 09:36 PM
Yay, What's my prize? :rolleyes:

CRaig.

Purple AK
09-11-09, 09:55 PM
Yay, What's my prize? :rolleyes:

CRaig. 100 grams of useless extra weight??? :D

craggle
09-11-09, 10:01 PM
Bugger! :rolleyes:

Craig.

bitsilly
11-11-09, 08:18 AM
Jaguar must have had words with the AA!
Planning ahead, I like it, however it is also still obvious that they make my car go faster.

l'spa ram driver
19-11-09, 11:37 PM
Weirdly enough I only had one of those brackets left when I built my car. My mate who was supervising the build (he built rally cars for a living) didnt think they were important and we proceeded with 1 with a view to getting another.
I got it on the road and eagerly test drove before painting the body etcc..
After 1 long run (150 miles) I noticed there was something not right with the suspension - it was clonking on compression and didnt feel right. On inspection the shock absorber that didnt have the bracket had 'walked off' the bush and was mangling the retaining washer. I fitted another bracket with one from a scrap yard and have had no problem with it since.

Hugh

steve faithfull
20-11-09, 10:44 PM
Weirdly enough I only had one of those brackets left when I built my car. My mate who was supervising the build (he built rally cars for a living) didnt think they were important and we proceeded with 1 with a view to getting another.
I got it on the road and eagerly test drove before painting the body etcc..
After 1 long run (150 miles) I noticed there was something not right with the suspension - it was clonking on compression and didnt feel right. On inspection the shock absorber that didnt have the bracket had 'walked off' the bush and was mangling the retaining washer. I fitted another bracket with one from a scrap yard and have had no problem with it since.

Hugh

I think the problem you are describing is more to do with Spax shocks - it usually happens on the front where there were no washers on the inside of the lower wish bones to stop it.

Steve