PDA

View Full Version : Rover V8 Oil Temperature sender switch

iancobrafan
02-12-09, 08:58 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know if the hole in the block (left hand side looking at the engine mid way up and near the front) can be used for an oil temperature sender switch (it currently is blanked off with an old switch one spade connector, i think this was the old water temperature sender?:confused:.

I have ETB oil pressure gauge which works fine but the oil temperature gauge does not move, it is conected to the tee on the Mocal oil cooler where the pressure sender is located near the oil filter unit.

sorry if this does not make it clear, basically whats the best way to test the switch or the gauge to see if one or both are faulty. a friend of mine said to earth the cable that attaches to the spade connector on the oil temperatur sender as the unit sends a signal (which earths the conection) and the other cable on the back of the switch is to the live. dont want to burn the gauge out :cry:.

Or how do you test the gauge.

I would be fine if it was welding engineering related!

Electrical!!! red to red, black to black, blew to bits

Many Thanks

Ian

Sidecarbod
02-12-09, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure which holes in the block you mean but in my humble the best place to monitor the oil temperature is in the sump. You could weld a boss into the sump or maybe even modify the sump plug so that you could fit a sender in the sump.

iancobrafan
02-12-09, 09:45 PM
The sump plug would be easy to modify that may be the best option
cheers
Ian

parragonlee
03-12-09, 09:01 AM
The sump plug would be easy to modify that may be the best option
cheers
Ian

I Would be hesitant to fit a sensor in to the sump plug, I have heard of people doing this before on other cars and breaking them off with results you can imagine. An oil temp sensor is fitted to mine on the passenger side on the sump, where you are suggesting. Your welcome to have a look if you want. Although your sump is modified.

StewbieC
03-12-09, 10:12 AM
Hi,

If you are using an electrical gauge with a sender then Europa do a sump adaptor for them. Just need to cut the hole about 2" up from the bottom of the sump. The adaptor is complete with an O ring seal. Works a treat.
They modified one of these to fit my mechanical gauge bulb for me. I think it was Mary who I spoke to.

The problem with measuring from a block port is that you get false readings usually the block temp rather than oil temp.

HTH