PDA

View Full Version : replace L77 box with Cosworth T5

twincams
04-12-09, 01:18 AM
replace LT77 with T5 gearbox in a hawk
'Hello advice needed I have a hawk 289 fitted Rover V8 and LT77 gear box. I did not build the car and find the gear box pretty poor to say the least so have bought a 1]BORG WARNER T5 MANUAL, FIVE SPEED GEARBOX AS REMOVED FROM A SIERRA COSWORTH .2. TVR BELLHOUSING (CONVERSION FROM ROVER V8 ENGINES (ALL) TO THE BORG WARNER T5 BOX). .3. ROVER V8 SD1 FLYWHEEL .4. SD1 PRESSURE PLATE .5. CLUTCH RELEASE ARM AND RELEASE BEARING INCLUDING THE SPECIAL RELEASE BEARINGSUPPORT).6. GENUINE AND COSWORTH CLUTCH PLATE FOR FITTING INTO THE ABOVE. 7. FRONT SLEEVE JOINT AND YOKE FROM SIERRA COSWORTH PROPSHAFT TO MATCH THE TAIL HOUSING OF THE GEARBOX. Has anyone done this as I assume I will need to make new gearbox mounting any one with pattern or should I buy new ford mounting and weld in place and can the gearbox be removed from under the car and finally are there any other parts or problems I should know Thanks All

twincams
04-12-09, 01:21 AM
Hello there is one more problem today on checking distance from front of bell housing to gear lever the distance seems to be about 21” on the Rover L77 box, but around 29” on the Ford T5 cosworth box so need to somehow move gear lever forward by around 6. ” I think the TVR box the lever is closer to the Rover so any information on how to shorten or I can possible make some sort of remote, come on lads i need some help

Clive
04-12-09, 01:25 AM
PM me your details! ;)

martin_t
26-02-10, 02:17 PM
Hello there is one more problem today on checking distance from front of bell housing to gear lever the distance seems to be about 21” on the Rover L77 box, but around 29” on the Ford T5 cosworth box so need to somehow move gear lever forward by around 6. ” I think the TVR box the lever is closer to the Rover so any information on how to shorten or I can possible make some sort of remote, come on lads i need some help

Hi

How did you get on with this? I am not at this moment in time ready to do this, but I would like to get the information together for future reference. I have an LT77 box on my 3.5 Rover in a GD Chassis. I got Jim at JRV8 to manufacture me a shortened remote shift to bring the gearstick forward. Did you do something similar on the T5? Which Bell housing did you use?

Regards

Martin

twincams
26-02-10, 08:05 PM
one more problem today on checking distance from front of bell housing to gear lever the distance seems to be about 21” on the Rover L77 box, but around 29”for T5 box

Hello martin I sorted my problem by doing exchange with another forum member Daryn, I exchanged my Ford Cosworth T5 box for a TVR T5 box distance is about right for my car 21 " and my box was correct for his car so was easy solution but do not forget my car is a 289 Hawk with rover V8. Have been told there are 3 T5 box's with measurments being from front bell housing to gear lever, Ford Cosworth 22" TVR 15" and another TVR 12"

martin_t
03-03-10, 01:33 PM
one more problem today on checking distance from front of bell housing to gear lever the distance seems to be about 21” on the Rover L77 box, but around 29”for T5 box

Hello martin I sorted my problem by doing exchange with another forum member Daryn, I exchanged my Ford Cosworth T5 box for a TVR T5 box distance is about right for my car 21 " and my box was correct for his car so was easy solution but do not forget my car is a 289 Hawk with rover V8. Have been told there are 3 T5 box's with measurments being from front bell housing to gear lever, Ford Cosworth 22" TVR 15" and another TVR 12"

Hi Thanks for the information.

The shortened remote that Jim did for me gave me a move forward of aprox 2" over the normal Rover remote. Is there any adjustmant of the T5 gearshift? Is it possible to just switch the tail section to a differenct variant but keep the gearbox?

Just a thought. As I mentioned, this is something for the future, but the plan was if I saw a T5 box available for a good price, I would buy it. I didn't realise there was such variation tin the size. Mine is the standard LT77 and standard bell housing, so I guess if you take of the 2" and had chopped off the remote, my distance from front of bell housing to gearstick would be about 19".
The other issue of cours is that I would need a differenct gearbox mounting bracket but I guess thats not insurmountable.

Thanks

Martin