PDA

View Full Version : original dash knobs

KevinW
10-12-09, 08:50 PM
OK guys, does anyone want one each of these correctly marked fluted knobs:

http://www.primequip.net/images/65%20427%20SC/Dash%20Wiper-Panel.JPG

one is for the wipers, the other is for switching on the dash lights.

This is for the knobs only, NOT the rheostats that they operate.

I have enquired about getting the plain ones engraved correctly, and setup costs means it aint worth it.

You cant get them from any of the usual outlets (europa/holden etc). I have tracked down several potential vendors and I propose trying to get a deal on them, but if we go to the US the shipping costs will im sure be reduced if we go in as a group buy.

If interested, you will need a deposit once i have ascertianed cost. Total cost likely to be somewhere in the region of £25 for the pair (which is a bit f a guess as i havent started negotiating yet)

any interest?

Gonch
10-12-09, 11:57 PM
I'm interested! When were you thinking of ordering them? Could other awkward to find things be sourced like this at the same time?

KevinW
11-12-09, 10:06 AM
plans to order early in the new year.
anyone else interested?

Bigblock
11-12-09, 03:12 PM
Kevin

Might be, do you have a cost yet or is it still the guess?

KevinW
11-12-09, 04:59 PM
starting point; have a look on the era website, and look at the options. thats one of the places i plan to approach. however, as none of us have era's, then i know they will add a surcharge (I know because i tried to get these when i was in the US last oct, but ran out of time to be assured of delivery to my hotel).

adriant
16-12-09, 10:16 AM
Kevin,

I would be interested.

Adrian

KevinW
16-12-09, 08:23 PM
Great, thats 5 if Allan gets around to signing up!

Superarnie Mk2
17-12-09, 07:31 AM
Please count me in too. I've been trying to obtain these 2 knobs for some time.
Many thanks.
Gary

StewbieC
17-12-09, 08:14 AM
Kev,

Put me down for a pair pls.

Cheers,

Allen
17-12-09, 11:39 AM
I'm in for a pair
Allen

Steve
17-12-09, 01:24 PM
me too please

KevinW
17-12-09, 03:31 PM
nearly up to the magic '10' !

FatBoy
19-12-09, 03:30 PM
Could be interested, subject to being able to source suitable rotary switches to go with them.

Paul

KevinW
20-12-09, 06:33 PM
Paul, switches are available from Holden, theres a thread on clubcobra that has details.
not cheap though. I was going to see if i could find an RS alternative once i have the knobs.

thanks for the battery pic - is it possible to send me any more?

cheers,
Kevin

rsk289
29-12-09, 09:22 AM
Hi Kevin,

pm sent.

rsk289
29-12-09, 09:26 AM
Paul, switches are available from Holden, theres a thread on clubcobra that has details.
not cheap though. I was going to see if i could find an RS alternative once i have the knobs.

I don't think you'll succeed with RS or any of the other usual suspects. The correct switches are big, old fashioned rheostats designed for automotive use, and I've never seen them anywhere else in some years of looking. That's why they're so expensive!

Roger

V8bassman
29-12-09, 09:52 AM
Count me in please Kev.

KevinW
04-01-10, 05:34 PM
OK folks, Ive got enough interest now, and we're in double figure for number of sets wanted. Thanks to all who posted here and those who have sent pms.

I'll be approaching several suppliers, as well as a local classic car resto company (who can engrave the blank knobs, but told me he needed at least 10 sets to make the price viable due to set-up costs) over the next fortnight or so.

I will be sending pms to you all with details about then anyway. But watch this space for further announcements, just in case i forget to include you in the pm i'll be circulating.

KevinW
11-01-10, 07:49 PM
OK guys, you should now have all received A PM WITH details of what happenning from me.
If you havent pm me!

kev.

RCCob
15-01-10, 10:25 PM
OK guys, does anyone want one each of these correctly marked fluted knobs:

http://www.primequip.net/images/65%20427%20SC/Dash%20Wiper-Panel.JPG

one is for the wipers, the other is for switching on the dash lights.

This is for the knobs only, NOT the rheostats that they operate.

I have enquired about getting the plain ones engraved correctly, and setup costs means it aint worth it.

You cant get them from any of the usual outlets (europa/holden etc). I have tracked down several potential vendors and I propose trying to get a deal on them, but if we go to the US the shipping costs will im sure be reduced if we go in as a group buy.

If interested, you will need a deposit once i have ascertianed cost. Total cost likely to be somewhere in the region of 25 for the pair (which is a bit f a guess as i havent started negotiating yet)

any interest?

Hi kevin, email sent for confirmation of order.

Regards Russ

KevinW
27-01-10, 12:31 PM
emails sent to those that i have details for.

Adrian, Gonch, Gary, and one or 2 others, if interested, pm me asap, but by sunday at the latest. if i dont hear from you, i will assume you've lost interest.

KevinW
28-01-10, 01:39 AM
second email sent on switches for the knobs.

KevinW
29-01-10, 01:49 AM
final message pm-ed.
Guys on my list - I need deposits from you all by Sunday - order being placed Monday.

Gonch, Adriant and SuperArnie - Im assuming you have lost interest?

cheers,
Kevin

KevinW
20-02-10, 11:03 AM
ok, back on the case now.....

final spreadsheet sent to all on my list.
Please check your order/deposit details.

Russ/Allen - please also see extra mail message sent to you both.

cheers,
Kevin

Gonch
10-03-10, 12:46 PM
Hi Kev,
When do you think youll want the rest of the money?

KevinW
10-03-10, 03:32 PM
sorry, some really long stressful hours at work put paid to sorting this out promptly.

I have now submitted the order to SPF, and I am awaiting email from Dave (at SPF) to tell me final cost (in $) and an ETA. Spoke to him last night, hoping info arriving in the Inbox today.

KevinW
18-03-10, 08:06 PM
... still waiting for shipping costs. Seems SPF, SA have a rather relaxed attitude to email response. 2 reminders sent so far.

KevinW
03-04-10, 03:55 PM
Payment now sent to supplier.
All those on the list should have now received private emails on this.
Hopefully items ready for stoneleigh.

kevin

KevinW
30-04-10, 08:25 AM
Sorry guys, no chance for stoneleigh. Been sent email to say that some items still outstanding so order not yet dispatched :(
Will chase again next week.

KevinW
13-12-10, 07:43 PM
Its been a long 9 month pregnancy, but the SPF 'Mother......' has finally given birth.

Your little knobs will be with you shortly!

emails sent to all on the list.

kev

Hagster
13-12-10, 07:45 PM
Well done that man,

Regards Guy

KevinW
15-12-10, 02:50 PM
....Knobs.

pms sent.

Neil O
15-12-10, 03:05 PM
By "original", you mean that it takes so long to get them they become as old as the original ones then?

Just sayin' :twisted::mrgreen:

KevinW
16-12-10, 01:16 AM
it certainly felt like it!

Neil O
16-12-10, 12:50 PM
Did you charge the guys extra for "patina"? :D

KevinW
17-12-10, 05:42 PM
Nope, happy to throw them down the road for free.

Bigblock
17-12-10, 11:34 PM
Kev

Many many thanks, now pride of place on the side.

David

JimmyJazz
25-01-11, 08:28 AM
Sorry to drag this one up but missed it the first time :sad: Has anyone got a spare set they'd like to sell or can we get some more done or is there another source. Not holding my breath as reading through the post it seemed a bit of a mare.

KevinW
05-04-11, 12:22 AM
emails sent to all of you tonight.
if anyone wants to drop out, looks like alan is happy to pick up the slack!

KevinW
07-04-11, 11:50 PM
I'll contact Knobs Group Buyers next week - thanks for all those who have replied to me - seems everyone is happy with my proposal.
Im off work next week, so will look into doing a final sort out around then.

Kev

KevinW
12-07-11, 09:03 PM
Better late than never

- the knobs are in the post!

I will be in contact with you all shortly to ask for the balance, and some further info on implementation (well what I have done anyway)

Im sorry id sat on this for so long - work, life, and the thought of those bl***y SPF knobs pissing me off.... meant it kept dropping down the list.
Anyway, done now.

Hagster
12-07-11, 09:55 PM
A big Thank you to Kev,

The effort and patience you have put in is considerable.

Once again a big thank you for all your work.

Regards Guy

JimmyJazz
12-07-11, 11:10 PM
Better late than never

- the knobs are in the post!

I will be in contact with you all shortly to ask for the balance, and some further info on implementation (well what I have done anyway)

Im sorry id sat on this for so long - work, life, and the thought of those bl***y SPF knobs pissing me off.... meant it kept dropping down the list.
Anyway, done now.

Still want some if anybody has fell by the wayside.

KevinW
13-07-11, 12:03 AM
one of the gang has 2 pairs. im sure if he wants rid of them he can contact you.
have you tired era in the us?

Lloyd Barnes
13-07-11, 01:33 PM
I'd be up for some if there's ever another group buy in the offing (I guess Kev that it won't be via you after your trials with this one!!!!)

KevinW
13-07-11, 02:13 PM
Correct - i'd prefer not to get involved!

There were 2 main issues in the sorry tail of this group buy that are worth posting:

1. SPF's inability to tell me when their factory in SA would produce enough of the highly prized knobs to fullfill my order. We waited many, many, months for this.

2. SPF gave me frequent poor and incorrect information on what other items were needed for these knobs, sent incorrect items, and incorrect quantities, repeatedly, that i then got charged at the PO for the privelage of receiving.

So, this could all have been settled so much quicker if i had simply stuck to my original plan to organise a group buy on pairs of fluted knobs and nought else.

If you do use these knobs, by far and away the easiest way to mount and connect them is to buy NOS Lucas switches from wither a car boot sale or from holdens. Its as simple as that, and you get the bl**dy bezels sorted at the same time. Nuff said!

KevinW
31-08-11, 06:18 PM
Gentlemen(?) of the Knobs Group Buy......

As stated previously, you have now all received the goods as promised some time ago.
I recently sent you all a copy of the spreadsheet with a request for payment.

I have had a few responses, and to those who have responded and/or coughed up - thank you, appreciated.

To those who havent - please, at least have the courtesy to acknowledge my email to you.

Neil O
01-09-11, 06:34 AM
Name and shame next time Kev.

StewbieC
01-09-11, 08:37 AM
Hopefully you've had my cheque already Kev!
Don't want to be associated with the incognito brigade!

KevinW
01-09-11, 11:13 AM
Hopefully you've had my cheque already Kev!
Don't want to be associated with the incognito brigade!

received with thanks!

Hagster
01-09-11, 11:13 AM
Same here,
as soon as I got back from Holiday I paid via pay pal on:

Date: 28 Aug 2011
Time: 15:20:31 BST

Its not a lot kev but I rounded it up a fiver and paid the fees just to make sure you not out on postage and bags etc.

Many Many kind regards Guy

KevinW
01-09-11, 11:35 AM
Same here,
as soon as I got back from Holiday I paid via pay pal on:

Date: 28 Aug 2011
Time: 15:20:31 BST

Its not a lot kev but I rounded it up a fiver and paid the fees just to make sure you not out on postage and bags etc.

Many Many kind regards Guy

received and much appreciated Guy!

FatBoy
01-09-11, 06:04 PM
I think you have already acknowledged my payment from way back, but just to be sure. :)

KevinW
01-09-11, 06:52 PM
I think you have already acknowledged my payment from way back, but just to be sure. :)

Abs Correct - you were the first or second to be all sorted on my ledger.

Neil O
01-09-11, 09:06 PM
So Kev, do we need to send the boys round?

KevinW
02-09-11, 12:40 AM
im giving benefit of the doubt in case some are on holiday....... but after the kids go back to school next week....... time for the Peckham Teen Shock Troops to raid a few houses.

Geezer
02-09-11, 08:52 AM
im giving benefit of the doubt in case some are on holiday....... but after the kids go back to school next week....... time for the Peckham Teen Shock Troops to raid a few houses.

Kev, I have a mate who does kneecaps for £75 + vat. Travelling expenses required for outside of the M25, so could get quite expensive if these chaps are far afield...;)

PS .......each

JimmyJazz
02-09-11, 09:38 AM
If anyone doesn't want them any more (maybe to embarrassed to say after all the trouble you went too :oops:) I can take them of their hands and pay for them pretty sharpish ;) Just a thought :D

aaronjb
02-09-11, 10:11 AM
PS .......each

..person or kneecap? :)

Hagster
02-09-11, 04:11 PM
Benefit of the doubt, very understanding of you Kev, personally I would be f***ing fuming by now after all the trouble you went through to get these items, and then have to wait for payment.

Regards Guy

Neil O
02-09-11, 04:20 PM
Serves him right really.

Phukin do-gooder.

;)

Hagster
02-09-11, 05:33 PM
Serves him right really.

Phukin do-gooder.;)

Actually Neil I can see your point,
order a few knobs wait countless months, send numerous emails, waste phone calls, create spread sheets, rally every body together thats to lazy to order there own, chase up companies for months on end, communicate to all involved, pay out of his own pocket first, negotiate dimmer units etc, collect, rebag, repost items, trips to shops / post offices.

and then has the nerve to moan about a few quid beling late paid.. yup I see your point I hate do gooders :)

If I recall there was some statment in one of them emails that fitting guides and help with dimmers was also to come, recieved none of this to date geez I feel cheated now, Ive a good mind to write a letter to someone.

Last time I deal with that Kev bloke.

Well apart to buy him a big drink I guess.

Guy

KevinW
02-09-11, 09:52 PM
Dear Client,

My case notes record everything was sent as promised including fitting instructions from SPF (several months before i posted all the stuff out).
Sent out another once I got toally exasperated, recommending e-bay/Holdens for NOS Lucas switches.

best regards,

Your Local Cobra Social(ist) Worker :)

ps I will be organising a Post Knobs-11 Collective Councilling session for anyone who feels their needs have not been adequatly met by the Group (Buy).
We can all then show each other our knobs. Brasso optional. Neil welcome.

kdavies3
02-09-11, 10:02 PM
Kev if only you hadn't posted them out prior to payment.
I might just have stepped in and taken a set off your hands (payment up front of course). ;)

KevinW
02-09-11, 10:13 PM
Let us welcome Mr Kevin Davies to our happy Group.

Now Kevin - would you like to tell the Group what we discussed privately? - that you are keen, with support from the Group, to take over organising the next Knobs Group Buy?
There are many many members of the group who will be rejoicing at this happy news.

Welcome! :-P

JimmyJazz
02-09-11, 11:02 PM
Kev if only you hadn't posted them out prior to payment.
I might just have stepped in and taken a set off your hands (payment up front of course). ;)

Hang on a minute:o I was in there first. Just because you've gonna gotta ya sen a US of A import all of a sudden dont give you first dibbs.

Now Kevin - would you like to tell the Group what we discussed privately? - that you are keen, with support from the Group, to take over organising the next Knobs Group Buy?
There are many many members of the group who will be rejoicing at this happy news.

Count me in Kev

Purple AK
02-09-11, 11:20 PM
Feel Free to Name and Shame when you feel the time is right Kev! Why do you think I now outsource ticket sales for Le Mans and Silverstone etc to a third party supplier!

Neil O
02-09-11, 11:40 PM
I'd like to buy a nob from Kevin but I am over stocked.

We have a couple down here already.....

KevinW
03-09-11, 12:20 AM
Feel Free to Name and Shame when you feel the time is right Kev! Why do you think I now outsource ticket sales for Le Mans and Silverstone etc to a third party supplier!

only 1 or 2 outstanding now .... and they might be on holiday still ;)

Bigblock
03-09-11, 08:25 PM
Kev

you mail box is full, can you clear some?

Warren
04-09-11, 12:55 AM
Have a little faith Gents, tell you what Kev, if you wind up out of pocket let me know the balance and I might even just send you a cheque. I sent out some hubs recently to a member and asked him to check they were OK before I cashed it. I can't see peeps on here leaving you short and if they do and you NEED it then it's yours.

W

Lloyd Barnes
04-09-11, 01:08 PM

There seems to be quite a few people who missed out on the first group buy (me included). Not sure if the post above is a jest, if it is then I'd be happy to try and organise another one (I know I will regret this post one day but I like a challenge!).

If there is another group buy in the offing KevD them I'm in and I promise to pay on time/up front!! If not then perhaps KevW you could give me some pointers about who to contact at Superformance and general advice?

alex
04-09-11, 03:52 PM
Count me in if there is another group order.

Alex

alex
04-09-11, 04:00 PM
Anybody got any pics of the items as the original link doesn't seem to work anymore?

Alex

KevinW
04-09-11, 10:27 PM
pissing myself laughing here..... perhaps ive lost it.
Warren - kind of you to offer, but my jesting seems to be paying off - nearly all settled now.

Just clearing out all the posts Aaron has sent me in the Inbox....... BB - you know where to get me at work anytime - 'ts the interspleb.

KevinW
04-09-11, 11:19 PM
KevD has gone strangley quiet...... ;)
anyway, heres a crap pic of the knobs in question taken with a web cam.... 'fraid I cant be *rsed to flip the pic

Geezer
05-09-11, 12:19 AM
nearly all settled now.

I take it there's no business for 'Nobby the Knees' then....;)

Neil O
05-09-11, 09:31 AM
Nice shirt Kev.
Is it original?

kdavies3
05-09-11, 10:02 AM
Not gone quiet, just had a busy weekend. :D
Looks like Lloyd has volunteered his services anyway. :p

KevinW
05-09-11, 10:33 AM
OK folks, I hereby declare Lloyd to be the new Knobs Master.
Lloyd - I'll send you a few pointers via pm.

Neil - lovely shirt isnt it - the pattern is hand stitched, and bought in the best place for shirt haute couture - Devon, about 7 years ago.

wilf
05-09-11, 10:50 AM
They only sell pink shirts and holey socks in the SW.

JimmyJazz
05-09-11, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=kdavies3;408851]Not gone quiet, just had a busy weekend. :D/QUOTE]

Is that a busy BUILDING weekend, has Sandra been helping to tighten up your nuts.

Neil O
05-09-11, 02:10 PM
They only sell pink shirts and holey socks in the SW.

....and Kevin usually only buys smelly raincoats....

KevinW
05-09-11, 04:05 PM
....and Kevin usually only buys smelly raincoats....

ah yes - Exeter 2009, cant remember the conversation, but there was a smelly raincoat mentioned.

Lloyd Barnes
03-10-11, 08:23 PM
Just had an update from the factory in South Africa. Sounds like we should see them in about a week or so.

Hi Lloyd,
Please see the response from our factory below. Your order should be shipping soon.
Just waiting for the white lettering to be done, should go out either tomorrow or day after.
Thanks.
Dave Cope

KevinW
03-10-11, 08:26 PM
...ive heard that before............

Lloyd Barnes
14-10-11, 03:23 PM
Apparently the knobs have now shipped. I have a FedEx tracking number although its not showing any info yet. Usually takes a day or so for the info to appear so as soon as it does I'll be able to keep you updated.

I know that Andrew (Hubby) is looking for a set so if anyone has a spare set or has decided that they don't want theirs etc...

Lloyd Barnes
15-10-11, 01:34 PM
Knobs showing on Fedex tracking as now being in the UK so I guess they should be here this week assuming no hiccups with clearing customs etc. I'll post up some photos when they arrive and we can start organising to post out.

Regarding payment I don't currently have a Paypal account, although I have a friend who's account I could perhaps use if its a really popular way to pay. I'm happy with either cheques or bank transfers. Once the knobs are actually here I'll PM details over to the guys who have put their orders in of ways to pay. Once I have the cash I'll post out the knobs.

KevinW
15-10-11, 11:36 PM
congratulations on what seems to be an unbeleivably smooth transaction - hope the last stage goes as well.

Hubby
16-10-11, 12:57 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone that ordered 2 sets of these and would like to sell a set please let me know as i would really like a set or even if someone put there name down and now no longer require them

thanks

Andrew

Lloyd Barnes
16-10-11, 05:04 PM
congratulations on what seems to be an unbeleivably smooth transaction - hope the last stage goes as well.

it aint over till the fat lady sings!!! :-D Lets see what turns up!!