PDA

View Full Version : Cortina axle off, Granada axle grafted on (eventually)

kevchard
28-12-09, 05:50 PM
Hi All
I have not been active on here for quite a while, but have still been fiddling with the Viper.
With winter upon us and i am not keen on driving the Cobra in this miserable weather so i have started to remove the 'live' Cortina axle and fit my Granada Cossie one instead.
The Cossie axle should be able to take the abuse from the 2.9V6 for a lot longer.
I have to grind off the original axle mounts from the car, then get a floor pan welded in and make up some brackets for the diff/coil overs and front subframe mounts. After that i have to change hubs to 4 studs, move handbrake cable mounts and run 2 new brake lines from master cylinder to the axle.
The Chassis main box section needs cutting aswell as the pivot point on the subframe hits it :(.
Pics attached are as from a couple of days ago.
Granada axle is in foreground, Corty is further away :-

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/PoweredbyFordcouk/Kevchard/DSCF1228.jpg

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/PoweredbyFordcouk/Kevchard/DSCF1234.jpg

Pics of axle held in postion, showing frame mounts and mods reqd. :-

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/PoweredbyFordcouk/Kevchard/DSCF1242.jpg

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/PoweredbyFordcouk/Kevchard/DSCF1246.jpg

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/PoweredbyFordcouk/Kevchard/DSCF1252.jpg

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/PoweredbyFordcouk/Kevchard/DSCF1260.jpg

I'll update as/when i get around to doing the jobs reqd.
Cheers
Kevin

craggle
28-12-09, 08:50 PM
Wow, looks a serious job Kev. :o

Are you using the small coil over dampers or re using the separate springs and dampers from the old axle?

Craig.

kevchard
29-12-09, 08:55 AM
Hi Craig
I am using a pair of bespoke Gaz coilovers (to match the front ones). With them i can adjust the ride height of the car.
I will be beefing up the recess on the subframe that the shock fits into, my mate will be welding a big hefty plate of mild steel in there to spread the load of the car across a bigger area.
The biggest stage was to grinding off the lower Cortina arm mounts off the viper chassis, there was no turning back after that.
After i know for sure that the Granada lump will fit, then the Cortina complete axle will be up for sale (to partially cover cost of coil overs).
I'll keep you all posted.
Cheers
Kevin

craggle
29-12-09, 09:48 AM
Good move on the adjustable coil overs. At least you'll have the option to fine tune the damping and ride height as you said.

Doesn't look an easy job but I'm sure the results will be worth it once done. :D

Good luck

Craig.

Cobra Rob
29-12-09, 11:33 AM
Nice to see the work you are doing its an interesting project and not without its complications on getting everything setup true and mounts sorted.
Seen the snow and decided your a brave chap working in that :)

dolphinboy400
29-12-09, 12:14 PM
kudos to you for taking that on but then again you do have a viper, and if you can build one of those then this should be easy ;)

kevchard
29-12-09, 05:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.
The Cortina axle has been holding up well, but the Granada one has a better ratio for fuel economy and should also stand up to future engine modifications :).
The Granada bracketry sets all the pieces up in relation to each other, so the only bit you have to work out diff height at the back and height of suspension mounts/lower arm. I presume people aren't using the anti roll bar.
Cheers
Kevin

Geoff's Project
29-12-09, 05:41 PM
That definitely looks like a story for ST

kevchard
29-12-09, 05:49 PM
That definitely looks like a story for ST

A story for a medical journal more like........"my life after frostbitten extremities" :p
Cheers
Kevin

steamyrotter
30-12-09, 09:09 PM
As if a viper wasn't hard enough!!!!

Was thinking about doing the sierra rear for mine but can't be bothered....
(which is a shame as i have 2 in the garage!!)
Might do it one day but you know my setup back there would not easily transpose without a lot of re-thinking....

Good luck Kev..

kevchard
31-12-09, 09:24 AM
Hi Dean
How the flip is your build going? Will all kit cars be banned from being built by the time yours is finished :p ?
It would be easier to change yours now if you are thinking of doing it. With the body in the way it does make things a tad tricky (although not impossible).
If you want to sell a pair of sierra hubs/disks and brake calipers give me a shout. My bits have gone awol with my mate :(.
Hope you and family are well.
Cheers
Kevin

kevchard
31-12-09, 07:10 PM
Whilst Helens been slaving away at work (her words, not my sentiments :p) i've been busy in the garage.
I've made the false floor plates to bolt the subframe onto. Our Viper chassis does not have a metal floorpan, it has a suspended fibreglass one instead. The plates are bolted on holding them in position until i can get my welder mate around here.
The subframe has fitted quite well, i have even got it mounted in the centre of the frame :D. I have only measured the hubs in the centre of the wheel arch as i do not have a 5 stud wheel to try on the fitted hubs, neither do i have my 4 stud hubs yet (my mate has a Sierra xr4i complete rear axle i am stealing off him when he's not looking ;)).
The chassis box section (80mmx40mm steel) cannot just be chopped out and a 'chamfer' piece put in place of the corner. The diagonal bit would encroach too much on the rear/side of the seats. Instead i'm going to have to create a 'notch' effect with 2 pieces of 80x40 instead of one diagonal piece of 80x40 :(.
More progress as i make it.

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/PoweredbyFordcouk/Kevchard/smallDSCF1263.jpg

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/PoweredbyFordcouk/Kevchard/smallDSCF1264.jpg

http://i513.photobucket.com/albums/t335/PoweredbyFordcouk/Kevchard/smallDSCF1268.jpg

Cheers

Kevin

langbond 15
31-12-09, 09:30 PM
kevln how much ground clearance did you have on your chassis,? i only had eight inches on mine wheels on floor. i did change mine to a steel floor but that didn,t affect the suspension mounting. i came off the outer chassis straight to fhe outer bushes on the wishbone. for the two inner mounts i cut the mounting brackets off diff mount and welded box section to the flat top of the mount then welded that to the slanted bars i had to move one bar over so it lined up. the hight of the box section guverned the amount off camber on the wheels hope this helps, steve. ring me if not clear enough i did pm you my no happy new year steve

kevchard
01-01-10, 09:05 AM
Hi Steve
Happy new year to you as well. Thankyou for the time you have taken to post :)
I have not fitted any wheels yet so dont know how much ground clearance i have. I couldnt get away with not chopping the corner of the main chassis rails off otherwise the wishbone pivot will be hanging 90mm below the chassis. My pivot point will be equal height to the chassis rail (eventually).
I will give you a ring, but i'll wait till i cant get on in garage or get completely stuck, otherwise i'm losing valuable 'fiddling' time :).
My sump is very low, so rear ground clearance is probably not so much of a worry as the front end.
Someone from poweredbyford sent me this link which i found help full :-
http://www.crustworld.co.uk/pdf/beambushes.pdf
Do you have any pics of your set up you could post please?
Cheers
Kevin

langbond 15
01-01-10, 10:52 AM
morning kevin i have never posted pics not sure how to but will ask my kids they no everything ha, ha, bear with me . hey could open a whole new world . steve

langbond 15
02-01-10, 08:34 PM
first try kev lets see if it works

Miket
02-01-10, 08:36 PM
first try kev lets see if it works

Well done Steve. ;) ;) ;)

langbond 15
02-01-10, 08:41 PM
second try kev lets see if it works

langbond 15
02-01-10, 08:53 PM
Well done Steve. ;) ;) ;)
cheers mike im still recovering ,god i hate computers

langbond 15
02-01-10, 09:17 PM
couple more cheers ,steve

Miket
02-01-10, 09:18 PM
god i hate computers

Never to old to learn mate, take me as an example. ;) :D :D

kevchard
03-01-10, 08:03 PM
Thanks Steve
Pictures speak a thousand words and all that.
My welder mate had a deco over it yesterday and has formulated a plan.
I'm sorry i missed your call the other night, but we had a full day then veged after we got home.
I spent over 2 hours grinding off the shock mounts and axle arm locating metal lugs today (on drivers side only so far). I am shattered now after wielding a 9" grinder for all that time. It is even more difficult with body on car with car 'finished'.
I'll phone you later in the week when i feel i've made more progress.
Cheers
Kevin
PS Congrats on getting pics uploaded, how many 'young people' did you get involved to get them on the computer :p?

Purple AK
03-01-10, 08:18 PM
Glad you are making progress Kev. Don't you have a smaller grinder? A 4.5" with a 1mm cutting disc is a lot quicker/user friendly/and accurate than a big jobbie ;)

kevchard
04-01-10, 07:09 AM
Hi Chris
Trouble is the smaller grinder i have (115mm) doesnt have the reach needed to cut the larger parts off, the body of the grinder bottoms out before it has cut all the way through. The large grinder isnt too bad until it starts biting and yanking your arm off across the chassis at a frightening speed :mad:.
I'll be adopting Steve's method as my original plan of raising the pivot above the bottom level of the chassis means cutting too much floor pan out, and the seat wont fit far enough back in the cockpit.
Such is life. I've got a few bits of scrap metal coming off ebay to fabricate various brackets,lugs,plates etc to mount it all :)
Hope all is well in non Viper land.
Cheers
Kevin

Dixie
04-01-10, 10:51 AM
As if a viper wasn't hard enough!!!!

Was thinking about doing the sierra rear for mine but can't be bothered....
(which is a shame as i have 2 in the garage!!)
Might do it one day but you know my setup back there would not easily transpose without a lot of re-thinking....

Good luck Kev..

I had the same thought, but can't be arsed!! My Corty axle has 5 link support with Panhard rod so is very stable and more than enough for my little old RV8. But I do want to put disk brakes on.

Mark

Nick S
04-01-10, 02:13 PM
Hi Chris
Trouble is the smaller grinder i have (115mm) doesnt have the reach needed to cut the larger parts off, the body of the grinder bottoms out before it has cut all the way through. The large grinder isnt too bad until it starts biting and yanking your arm off across the chassis at a frightening speed :mad:.
I'll be adopting Steve's method as my original plan of raising the pivot above the bottom level of the chassis means cutting too much floor pan out, and the seat wont fit far enough back in the cockpit.
Such is life. I've got a few bits of scrap metal coming off ebay to fabricate various brackets,lugs,plates etc to mount it all :)
Hope all is well in non Viper land.
Cheers
Kevin

Hi Kev,

I have the same diff as you and I was wondering how you intend to mount it / support it. I have posted a thread earlier on today as I am having a few issues with mine. Are you going to use the 'differential cover mounting' at all (in original or fabricated form)

Cheers

Nick.

kevchard
05-01-10, 06:51 PM
Hi Kev,

I have the same diff as you and I was wondering how you intend to mount it / support it. I have posted a thread earlier on today as I am having a few issues with mine. Are you going to use the 'differential cover mounting' at all (in original or fabricated form)

Cheers

Nick.

Hi Nick
I am using the bracket that is rubber mounted on the back of the diff. I will get a 60mmx40mm lump of box welded widthways across the chassis and bolt the diff bracket to that. My mate is triangulating it to the sloping front tubes as well with some angle iron.
My setup will be similar to Langbonds.
Cheers
Kevin

kevchard
05-01-10, 06:53 PM
I had the same thought, but can't be arsed!! My Corty axle has 5 link support with Panhard rod so is very stable and more than enough for my little old RV8. But I do want to put disk brakes on.

Mark

Hi Mark
I will help you however i can, give me a shout if you need any advice. My mate has a selection of brake calipers (and disks probably), so dont go out splashing cash on newuns.
Cheers
Kevin

Dixie
06-01-10, 08:25 PM
Hi Mark
I will help you however i can, give me a shout if you need any advice. My mate has a selection of brake calipers (and disks probably), so dont go out splashing cash on newuns.
Cheers
Kevin

Hi Kev.

I'll take you up on that kind offer, see what you can do for me please?

Thanks Matey.

Mark

kevchard
06-01-10, 09:27 PM
Hi Mark
The axle pic attached is type b, notice the prop flange is very close to the housing and the nut protrudes past the face of the flange. On type a the nut is hidden by the face of the flange and the flange is not as close to the body of the diff.
I'll tap my mate up to see what brake parts i can rob from his collection :).