PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filler vs IVA

cperry
17-01-10, 11:18 AM
Hi all. I bought this fuel filler cap (I think from Brasscraft) a while ago as one that suits the SVA test. However, looking at the new IVA regs it states a maxiumum protrusion from the bodywork as 50mm but this closer to 70mm.
Does anyone know if this will pass the IVA as it is ?

pete knighton
17-01-10, 11:32 AM
if i.v.a regs says 50mm then i think it means 50mm, mine is sunk so it`s less than 50mm no trouble with i.v.a ,pete

cperry
17-01-10, 11:36 AM
I questioned it as the cap is less than 50mm off the mounting but more than 50mm of the fibreglass. For the IVA is the lower half of the cap considered to be part of the body work or part of the fuel cap?

Purple AK
17-01-10, 01:47 PM
Sorry but AFAIK it won't pass IVA, neither would it have passed SVA as the limit was 50mm as well. It would have been sold as SVA/IVA compliant because the contactable edges have the required radius, but on the understanding that it would be receased into the rear wing. Time to look for a cheap Aerocap ;)

JimmyJazz
17-01-10, 03:56 PM
Andy at GD sells an Aston cap, I think he gets that from Brasscraft and when I spoke to him about the IVA he said it was fine. Now I,m not saying that yours is the same but it's simular.

jason barnes
17-01-10, 04:26 PM
mine was the same and it failed the iva.

southenddave
17-01-10, 04:49 PM
when i put mine through the SVA, it took the cap off and radiused the edges of the flange with a file and some wet and dry. After a polish it looked better than new.

Miket
17-01-10, 08:09 PM
Read the post, nothing wrong with the radius, the cap stands over the 50mm regulation height from the body line.

Noel
17-01-10, 08:14 PM
Can confirm that the Brasscraft cap definitely fails IVA :(

Neil O
17-01-10, 08:59 PM
They look better sunk into the wing anyway, so just do that, assuming the car isn't already painted of course.
I seem to remember an article (maybe Snaketorque) about how to do it.

wilf
18-01-10, 07:43 AM
"sinking in" - aka "frenching" in the hot rodding world. (ftf)

Hubby
18-01-10, 09:55 AM
Sorry to highjack this thread but i was thinking about sinking my fuel filler cap in to the rear wing on my sumo, is this possible on a sumo? is there any how to guides on doing this?

Cheers

Andrerw

KevinW
18-01-10, 10:41 AM
all things are possible but it depends how much hassle you want to embrace.
the issue (at least on a Mk III) would be that you would need to have a new fuel tank. I am pretty sure there is insufficient room if you drop the filler cap below the body - the filler hose is only 2-3" long (from memory) and tight in normal setup, and you'd loose that headroom frenching in the cap.

southenddave
18-01-10, 11:51 AM
Read the post, nothing wrong with the radius, the cap stands over the 50mm regulation height from the body line.

Read the answer! I took off the cap and radiused the flange. What's hard to understand here?

Ian 46
18-01-10, 08:04 PM
Dave,

I bought my IVA compliant Aston Filler cap from Brasscraft and I expect it to pass the IVA if nothing else does.

It is sunken into the rear wing and hardly sticks up above the wing profile. See my gallery photos.

Ian

Miket
18-01-10, 09:14 PM
Read the answer! I took off the cap and radiused the flange. What's hard to understand here?

Sorry I can't see how putting a radius on the flange can get the cap down down 20mm. :confused: :confused: :confused:

nuf_said
18-01-10, 09:43 PM
Perhaps taking off the hinged cap (and throwing it away) and then the stump that's left is less than the 50mm, but needs the now exposed sharp edges of the filler tube to be radiussed. There will be a lockable cap within the filler tube - the flip top is just decoration. Maybe?
Nuf Said

KevinW
18-01-10, 11:51 PM
a-haaa clever!
i also thought he meant the outer edge/lip of the mounting flange, and didnt understand either.

southenddave
19-01-10, 08:27 AM
Nuf Said,

That is exactly what I meant. Looks lovely once it is all polished up.

Ian,
I get your point and agree with you.

cperry
19-01-10, 05:43 PM
thanks chaps, I've just unscrewed the cap off the mount and it is under the 50mm, I'll try some edge piping to hide the sharp edges and let you know if it IVA's.