PDA

View Full Version : how to mount sidepipes

alexandervdr
28-01-10, 08:35 AM
now that my side pipes arrived, any ideas about the best way to fix them to the chassis? Pictures?
ALexander

hyrosh
28-01-10, 08:45 AM
now that my side pipes arrived, any ideas about the best way to fix them to the chassis? Pictures?
ALexander

Easy...one at each side of the car...

Ok, i'll go away...:roll::D

alexandervdr
28-01-10, 09:14 AM
Easy...one at each side of the car...

Ok, i'll go away...:roll::D

interesting:rolleyes:

chedz
28-01-10, 04:27 PM
Hi Alexander,

I fitted mine to the sill using 2 brackets each side. The brackets are in 2 parts. A large T shaped piece to help spread the load. This piece is a box section design with rubber bobbins inside it. Then a flat bar fixes to the bobbins to attached to a stud on the sidepipe.

I have 2 each side as inside the engine bay I have large flexi-pipes to ensure engine rock and roll doesn't fatigue the expensive pipes. Others have used 1 fixing each side, but this only works is you have a more secure header/sidepipe connection as this them acts as the second fixing point.

This is probably not very clear, so I'll dig out some pictures for you later.

cheers

GRaham

Sidecarbod
28-01-10, 05:04 PM
I had no end of problems when my pipes were mounted at the front and the back, I guess if the front bracket is weak and bendy enough it won't cause the pipes to break. In the end I made the mounts shown in the pics below. The rectangular piece of steel goes inside the sill to spread the load. The engine can rock all it likes now without the pipes becoming an engine steady.

I've re-painted the brackets with decent paint since the photo's were taken!

chedz
28-01-10, 05:57 PM
Mine look a lot like that, but the bit that fixes to the chassis is about 5 inches wide to form a T-shape.

I don't think you have flexis between headers and side pipes do you Pete? Without them the movement would go straight to the front mounting point for the sidepipe.

I tried mine with only a rear fixing point and the pipe just flopped away from the chassis.

Cheers

dinosoar
28-01-10, 06:15 PM
I would advise fitting an engine steady bar first. This will control the engine rock and remove some of the stresses.
I would then suggest fitting using only the rear bracket on the pipes.
This is assuming you have a solid header type system that won't drop the pipe onto the body work.

Andy

Sidecarbod
28-01-10, 07:39 PM
Mine look a lot like that, but the bit that fixes to the chassis is about 5 inches wide to form a T-shape.

I don't think you have flexis between headers and side pipes do you Pete? Without them the movement would go straight to the front mounting point for the sidepipe.

I tried mine with only a rear fixing point and the pipe just flopped away from the chassis.

Cheers

No mate my headers connect up to four pipes that are part of the sidepipes, there are a couple of steel tags that overlap with a hole through them, a bolt goes through the hole so that the sidepipe can not come adrift.

The idea of the two bobbins on my support brackets is to allow very easy up and down movement at the front but at the same time stop any side to side floppiness.

Ian Lloyd
29-01-10, 09:33 AM
I used both front and rear mounts for the SVA then removed the front one to allow more flex in the system as several posts on here had mentioned fracturing the manifold welds on the standard Pilgrim system. So far (4 years) no problem. I mounted using a large exhaust rubber bobbin to the floor pan, the bracket is a simple 8mm x 50mm strip bent to get the side pipe parrallel to the floor.

MichaelR
04-02-10, 10:44 AM
I'm in the same dilemma. Thank you all for the tips.

Which height should you mount the sidepipes?
I'm interested in the distance between the door-opening on the body and the upper part of the side pipe.

Anyone who has any ideas?