PDA

View Full Version : Feb 28th North Wales/Cheshire Meet

Lloyd Barnes
03-02-10, 11:03 AM
Next meeting of the North Wales & Cheshire branch now on 28th Feb at Pant-yr-Ochain in Wrexham.

Meeting from lunchtime onwards for a bite to eat and a lemonade :-) More info from Graham, contact details in Snaketorque.

Pant-yr-Ochain - Welcome - Gresford, Wrexham (http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/pantyrochain/)

Big Dai
03-02-10, 10:23 PM
Now I might just be able to get along to that - probably in SWMBO's MX5 though :( then again that means she will have to drive ;-)

David Large
04-02-10, 06:46 AM
Maybe we could have a trip from Walsall to that.

Dennis, Geoff, Mark, Steve, Russ - what do you think.

David

janandchris
04-02-10, 01:06 PM
OOOhhhh.....will try to be there! ;-)

Lloyd Barnes
05-02-10, 01:01 PM
I didn't make it in Jan... too much snow!! Short of it pi$$ing it down I'll be along there in the cob...

Graham did say he likes to know rough numbers as they tend to book space. Might be worth dropping him an email, or I'll zip one across to him closer to the meet once we've a rough idea of who's going

dave1952
11-02-10, 08:01 PM
Hi, I have just joined the forum, 1 week after reading your posting for the 28th Feb. I do not have a "Cobra" yet but after watching the multi replay on Discovery of Mark Evans building is Pilgrim I decieded I could do just as well. Pease do no laugh yet but my initial thinking is I would like to use an XJ12 as the donor car keeping the V12 and auto box and if poss the power steering, sounds a bit soppy but as you get older you like things done for you. Living is this area there are no shortage of Jag parts. I would be interseted in any coments from like or other minded soles. I intend to attend your meeting on the 28th ad maybe chat over a few ideas. Hopefully I canget my son to drive and I can join you in a coke?:)
Look forward to any comments.
Dave

chesterak
11-02-10, 08:49 PM
I'd like to go but unfortunately I'm working 6 day weeks at Shell, Stanlow, with Saturdays off.

I'm going to AK on 20th is anyone wants anything small/light taking/ picking up......

Mr Pink
11-02-10, 09:50 PM
Hi Lloyd, if it's okay I'll pop down too as you suggested a few weeks back. Like Dave I don't have a Cob yet, but I'm keen to pick some brains cos I'm hoping to finalise my manufacturer choice by the Stoneleigh bash so I can put an order in then ....

Lloyd Barnes
11-02-10, 10:19 PM
Hi, I have just joined the forum, 1 week after reading your posting for the 28th Feb. I do not have a "Cobra" yet but after watching the multi replay on Discovery of Mark Evans building is Pilgrim I decieded I could do just as well. Pease do no laugh yet but my initial thinking is I would like to use an XJ12 as the donor car keeping the V12 and auto box and if poss the power steering, sounds a bit soppy but as you get older you like things done for you. Living is this area there are no shortage of Jag parts. I would be interseted in any coments from like or other minded soles. I intend to attend your meeting on the 28th ad maybe chat over a few ideas. Hopefully I canget my son to drive and I can join you in a coke?:)
Dave

Hi Dave

welcome to the forum. Might be worth dropping an intro up in the "newbies" section as not everyone will read the regional threads.

See you on the 28th then. If its dry enough I'll be bringing the cob along. If you've not yet experienced the lunacy that is a cobra then we can always have a quick run around the block in mine if you like :shock: :-D

Re Jag V12 , it can be done, albeit its now rare. Mainly because resale value is significantly affected, (most people want a V8 ), but also the Jag motor is heavy, not that powerful considering its size and parts are pretty expensive. Perhaps an autobox behind a V8 is another option to consider. If you are determined on the V12, then Dax offer a chassis to take that engine.

Power steering is pretty common nowadays and a worthwhile upgrade, although expect some level of pi$$ taking for having it on a "mans" car!! :razz:

Lloyd Barnes
11-02-10, 10:24 PM
Hi Lloyd, if it's okay I'll pop down too as you suggested a few weeks back. Like Dave I don't have a Cob yet, but I'm keen to pick some brains cos I'm hoping to finalise my manufacturer choice by the Stoneleigh bash so I can put an order in then ....

The more the merrier!! :-) Whats your thinking so far on who you are going for?

I've not been to this particular meet myself yet as the cobra is only just on the road and I've been to the Midlands meet instead. Didn't spot there was a branch of the club in this area until recently.

Here's hoping its dry enough for a few cobs to turn up...

Mr Pink
11-02-10, 10:46 PM
The more the merrier!! :-) Whats your thinking so far on who you are going for?

I've not been to this particular meet myself yet as the cobra is only just on the road and I've been to the Midlands meet instead. Didn't spot there was a branch of the club in this area until recently.

Here's hoping its dry enough for a few cobs to turn up...

At present from an aesthetic, donor, engine/trans, ease of build (very cramped working/storage space) perspective, I'm kind of thinking Dax/Dax De Dion, AK or GD MK4. Friendliness/helpfulness of the manufacturer will play a part in the final decision. Cost will have to enter into the equation at some point as well.

It would be really awesome to see all the beasts in the flesh ... on paper any make adds up to one hell of a ride, as did my old bike, but I do so prefer flesh :D

Lloyd Barnes
11-02-10, 11:11 PM
At present from an aesthetic, donor, engine/trans, ease of build (very cramped working/storage space) perspective, I'm kind of thinking Dax/Dax De Dion, AK or GD MK4. Friendliness/helpfulness of the manufacturer will play a part in the final decision. Cost will have to enter into the equation at some point as well.

It would be really awesome to see all the beasts in the flesh ... on paper any make adds up to one hell of a ride, as did my old bike, but I do so prefer flesh :D

sensible approach... not like me, went out in Dax's big block car, came back with a silly grin and ordered a chassis on the spot!! :mrgreen: Not that I've regretted it... Three great cars you've shortlisted. Ak in particular have a superb reputation for customer service.

if you've not yet been out in a Dax then as per prev post happy to take a run around the block if you like. Hopeless if its wet though, damn thing's lethal :razz: See you there.

slogger
11-02-10, 11:16 PM
Dave

Dave hi. Good luck with your quest for a Cob.

I would say that the Jag V12 may not be the best choice of motor for many reasons so please have a look at this thread: http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/newbies/36422-newbie-project-v12.html

The power steering is also another issue. Dax now use the Corsa electric PAS, but there are a few here running with hydraulic. Have a good search around this site and ask as many questions as you like (excluding how to remove a 3 Cobra alarm from a teen wreck Corsa).

Good luck.:cool:

Mr Pink
11-02-10, 11:18 PM
went out in Dax's big block car, came back with a silly grin and ordered a chassis on the spot!! :mrgreen:

Standard human response then :D

cobrageoff
12-02-10, 02:41 PM
Dave.....

This looks pretty good, its says on the web site.

" Eat burger. Drink beer. Live your life."

And my addition to that is

"Drive Cobra as often as you can"

Probably we can get a few from Walsall to come along then.

RCCob
12-02-10, 05:10 PM
Maybe we could have a trip from Walsall to that.

Dennis, Geoff, Mark, Steve, Russ - what do you think.

David

Count me in all tho in the tin top as I'm doing the dash wiring at the moment:grin::grin::grin:

Russ & Jane

Lloyd Barnes
25-02-10, 11:06 PM
Just checked the forecast and there's even supposed to be a bit of sun this weekend...!

well done all V8 owners for warming Wales up.. damn it needed it :-D

Big Dai
26-02-10, 11:49 PM
Hopefully see you all there guys - weather & wife permitting!! :rolleyes:

David Large
27-02-10, 11:45 AM
The weather forecast for tomorrow is pretty grim so i think my journey from Walsall will not happen.

I am going to stay at home and polish my other car ready for a track day next weekend.

David

janandchris
27-02-10, 04:46 PM
Hmmmm...forcast is for snow/sleet all day. So looks like we'll be doing the trip in the family taxi instead of the Cobra....

Lloyd Barnes
27-02-10, 04:52 PM
Hmmmm...forcast is for snow/sleet all day. So looks like we'll be doing the trip in the family taxi instead of the Cobra....

Supposed to be sunny today so with luck they are now wrong about tomorrow :-( I'll drop by in the tintop if all else fails.

janandchris
28-02-10, 09:13 PM
Well, weather held out for the 2 brave individuals who ventured out in thier cobra's!

Nice to see them there, and nice to meet a few of you!

No complaints about the venue either, lovely place...great food. Look forward to going again, hopefully on a nice warm day!

Lloyd Barnes
28-02-10, 09:16 PM
Well, weather held out for the 2 brave individuals who ventured out in thier cobra's!

Nice to see them there, and nice to meet a few of you!

No complaints about the venue either, lovely place...great food. Look forward to going again, hopefully on a nice warm day!

3 cobras!! you missed one!! :-D

was a bit parky but dry enough... nice to meet a few new people even if I couldn't stay too long.

Mr Pink
28-02-10, 10:04 PM
Thanks again to all those who pitched up in their Cobras, lovely beasts.

Thanks Lloyd for the spin in your monster, I'm still trying to wipe the grin off my face :-D

I'll be booking my visits to the manufacturers first thing in the morning ...

Lloyd Barnes
28-02-10, 11:20 PM
Thanks again to all those who pitched up in their Cobras, lovely beasts.

Thanks Lloyd for the spin in your monster, I'm still trying to wipe the grin off my face :-D

I'll be booking my visits to the manufacturers first thing in the morning ...

no problem Pete, now you know what you're building!! :-D

janandchris
01-03-10, 08:57 AM
[QUOTE=Lloyd Barnes;345005]3 cobras!! you missed one!! :-D

QUOTE]

...Oh Arse! lol

Daxman
01-03-10, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=Lloyd Barnes;345005]3 cobras!! you missed one!! :-D

QUOTE]

...Oh Arse! lol

I'm assuming i was number 3!! nice to put a couple of faces to names!

Russ

Lloyd Barnes
01-03-10, 06:13 PM
[quote=janandchris;345062]

I'm assuming i was number 3!! nice to put a couple of faces to names!

Russ

Did I drop you in it with the missus?? :oops::mrgreen: Come on, fess up, how much did you tell her paint was going to be???

Daxman
01-03-10, 07:01 PM
[quote=Daxman;345089]

Did I drop you in it with the missus?? :oops::mrgreen: Come on, fess up, how much did you tell her paint was going to be???

Oh YES!!! I keep telling her that the paint makes or breaks the car so it will be a little expensive.

She still thinks it only cost 20K to build;), so mum's the word at the next meet.:D

Lloyd Barnes
01-03-10, 07:12 PM
She still thinks it only cost 20K to build

Oh now, you really shouldn't have told me that!!! :razz:

Big Dai
02-03-10, 09:02 PM
Just to echo everyone else's comments - nice to meet & put faces to names - see you all again soon.

Turbo phil
22-03-10, 06:01 PM
Next meeting of the North Wales & Cheshire branch now on 28th Feb at Pant-yr-Ochain in Wrexham.

Meeting from lunchtime onwards for a bite to eat and a lemonade :-) More info from Graham, contact details in Snaketorque.

Pant-yr-Ochain - Welcome - Gresford, Wrexham (http://www.brunningandprice.co.uk/pantyrochain/)
Hi, just wondering if any meets organised for end of April, as Cob nearly finished, just got interior trimming to do so hopefully a couple of weeks work.
Put some picks of paint job on the album, hope you like it so far.
Phil.