PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

davidlatimer
06-02-10, 07:33 PM
Guys

I have a finished Sumo, I have started my winte improvments in preperation for the summer, can anyone help with the following.

Were can I get the rubber seal on the brake master cylinder where the vacuum port plugs in

What is the best method to bleed air from cooling system, I have the rad upside down config.

Thanks

Noel
06-02-10, 08:49 PM
Guys

I have a finished Sumo, I have started my winte improvments in preperation for the summer, can anyone help with the following.

Were can I get the rubber seal on the brake master cylinder where the vacuum port plugs in

What is the best method to bleed air from cooling system, I have the rad upside down config.

Thanks

Either remove the thermostat housing and fill from there or remove the hose going to the heater and slowly fill from the expansion tank, when you see the water rising to the heater hose connection put the hose back on then run the engine. Top up as necessary. HTH

Rowly
07-02-10, 10:17 AM
I put a filler/bleed outlet in the hose which goes to the heater, from the top of the front part of the air manifold. (this is the pipe which is nearest to the top hose oulet). It is the highest point in the water circuit & can be used to top up & bleed air from the system. I heard that bleeding air from the system for these engines is critical, so I put this in & have never had any problems.
Also make sure that you have got a restrictor fitted to the return pipe to the filler tank, as hot water will take the Lazy route & recirculate through the filler tank, rather than the radiator.

davidlatimer
07-02-10, 01:51 PM
I put a filler/bleed outlet in the hose which goes to the heater, from the top of the front part of the air manifold. (this is the pipe which is nearest to the top hose oulet). It is the highest point in the water circuit & can be used to top up & bleed air from the system. I heard that bleeding air from the system for these engines is critical, so I put this in & have never had any problems.
Also make sure that you have got a restrictor fitted to the return pipe to the filler tank, as hot water will take the Lazy route & recirculate through the filler tank, rather than the radiator.

Thanks guys, Rowly where did you get the parts for your mods? do you have pics by any chance?

Anyone have any idea about the vacuum port grommet seal ?

Steve-Art
07-02-10, 02:04 PM
Scrapyard?

Steve

Noel
07-02-10, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys, Rowly where did you get the parts for your mods? do you have pics by any chance?

Anyone have any idea about the vacuum port grommet seal ?

I can knock up a restrictor for you David if you can't get hold of the right ally rod? It is essential that you have it in the circuit otherwise you rad is totally by passed and the expansion tank effectively becomes your rad!!!!

PS. have you also got the right fan switch installed and a 13lb rad cap on the expansion tank?

tonym
07-02-10, 07:00 PM
I used a standard 15mm copper pipe tap as a restrictor, that way I can set it to no restrict while I'm filling the system then restrict the flow once it's full.

Rowly
08-02-10, 03:57 PM
see photo of filler/bleed point in top heater hose, sorry, I totally forgot exactly where I got it from (3 years ago).

davidlatimer
13-02-10, 09:51 PM
Thanks Guys, sorry for the late reply I have been working away, Noel I have been trying to locate a new fan switch to replace the standard Pilgrim issue, I would like a fan switch that would operate my fans seperatly, I have purchased a new thermostat in the summer as the engine was running a little cold, forgotten exactly what thermostat it is, Im not sure how to knock up a restrictor for the expansion tank, anyone know where i can get an inline bleeder to fit as in rowleys picture.
Im still struggling to find the rubber grommet on the vacuum port of the brake master cylinder.

Thanks again

Gazzab
18-02-10, 10:00 PM
Thanks Guys, sorry for the late reply I have been working away, Noel I have been trying to locate a new fan switch to replace the standard Pilgrim issue, I would like a fan switch that would operate my fans seperatly, I have purchased a new thermostat in the summer as the engine was running a little cold, forgotten exactly what thermostat it is, Im not sure how to knock up a restrictor for the expansion tank, anyone know where i can get an inline bleeder to fit as in rowleys picture.
Im still struggling to find the rubber grommet on the vacuum port of the brake master cylinder.

Thanks again

David did you not get the Peugeot fan thermostat I told you about, it has two independant switches that allow each fan to come on at different temps i.e. 1st 87 on 78 off 2nd 105 on 97 off together with the restrictor in the vent line to the header tank should help achieve a good running temp without the fans running constantly as with the fan switch supplied by pilgrim, which was intended to work on the exit temp from the rad and not the input temp as with the upside down arrangement in the sumo mk3.

Gary

Stevednorris
19-02-10, 08:55 AM

Thanks again
You could try contacting this company for your grommet. They do kits for lots of master cylinders, I got a complete kit for mine from them for a few quid.

Biggred brake calipers for Saxo, Punto, Fiesta, Nova, Astra, 106, 206, Mini, BMW and more.... (http://www.biggred.co.uk/)

davidlatimer
19-02-10, 07:16 PM
David did you not get the Peugeot fan thermostat I told you about, it has two independant switches that allow each fan to come on at different temps i.e. 1st 87 on 78 off 2nd 105 on 97 off together with the restrictor in the vent line to the header tank should help achieve a good running temp without the fans running constantly as with the fan switch supplied by pilgrim, which was intended to work on the exit temp from the rad and not the input temp as with the upside down arrangement in the sumo mk3.

Gary

Hi Garry, hope your well.
I did take the number you gave to a peugeot dealer and was told it wasnt a pug part number, I did mean to call you at the time but Ive been so busy with the new business that my head has gone to mush.
Im happy with how to fit a restrictor and am about to order parts from CBS, I could really do with getting the fan switch then i can finish the cooling work, do you know where to get an inline bleed valve I think my heater hose is 5/8th but as usual im probably wrong.
I lost your number when my iphone went kaput, give me a ring sometime on 07575482200, im working all day sat though.
I have just got myself an industrial unit for the business, it has 3 phase lecky, 500 sqft and a roller shutter door so no more titting about in a single garage for me, yessssssssss

davidlatimer
19-02-10, 07:21 PM
You could try contacting this company for your grommet. They do kits for lots of master cylinders, I got a complete kit for mine from them for a few quid.

Biggred brake calipers for Saxo, Punto, Fiesta, Nova, Astra, 106, 206, Mini, BMW and more.... (http://www.biggred.co.uk/)

whey hey, stunning work steve.....thanks

Gazzab
19-02-10, 07:27 PM
Hi Garry, hope your well.
I did take the number you gave to a peugeot dealer and was told it wasnt a pug part number, I did mean to call you at the time but Ive been so busy with the new business that my head has gone to mush.
Im happy with how to fit a restrictor and am about to order parts from CBS, I could really do with getting the fan switch then i can finish the cooling work, do you know where to get an inline bleed valve I think my heater hose is 5/8th but as usual im probably wrong.
I lost your number when my iphone went kaput, give me a ring sometime on 07575482200, im working all day sat though.
I have just got myself an industrial unit for the business, it has 3 phase lecky, 500 sqft and a roller shutter door so no more titting about in a single garage for me, yessssssssss

Part not from peugeot but from interpart availiable from most parts wholesalers

Gary
P.S. left message on ur mob

davidlatimer
19-02-10, 07:37 PM
Part not from peugeot but from interpart availiable from most parts wholesalers

Gary
P.S. left message on ur mob

cool thanks again gaz, im going to be a real arsehole now, I lost the part number when phone went bang as it was on a text message....sorry.

What events are you going to this year gaz, fancy meeting up at one

Gazzab
19-02-10, 08:05 PM
cool thanks again gaz, im going to be a real arsehole now, I lost the part number when phone went bang as it was on a text message....sorry.

What events are you going to this year gaz, fancy meeting up at one

was hoping to go to classic le man but not made any plans as yet how about you...........

davidlatimer
21-02-10, 12:50 PM

Gary

Hi Gary

I found the fan switch you recommended, only problem is that the running temps dont match with the values you gave above
Intermotor part number 50103 cross ref to XEFS82
Radiator Fan Switch, 3 terminals M22x1.5 (97-92,101-96) C N/O

Part NumberPart Type50103Radiator Fan SwitchPart NumberPart Type50103Radiator Fan SwitchPart NumberPart Type50103Radiator Fan SwitchPart NumberPart Type50103Radiator Fan Switch
Part NumberPart Type50103Radiator Fan Switch http://partfinder.smpeurope.com/index.html?p=display_part&nocache=yes&partnum=50103&type=Intermotor
Comments3 Terminals M22 x 1.5 97-92/101-96deg C N/O

Gazzab
21-02-10, 01:07 PM
Hi Gary

I found the fan switch you recommended, only problem is that the running temps dont match with the values you gave above
Intermotor part number 50103 cross ref to XEFS82
Radiator Fan Switch, 3 terminals M22x1.5 (97-92,101-96) C N/O

Part NumberPart Type50103Radiator Fan SwitchPart NumberPart Type50103Radiator Fan SwitchPart NumberPart Type50103Radiator Fan SwitchPart NumberPart Type50103Radiator Fan Switch
Part NumberPart Type50103Radiator Fan Switch http://partfinder.smpeurope.com/index.html?p=display_part&nocache=yes&partnum=50103&type=Intermotor
Comments3 Terminals M22 x 1.5 97-92/101-96deg C N/O
sorry but I only guessed those figures are the same as the one I have fitted and work well.

Gary:)