PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox compatability

elldee
06-02-10, 08:53 PM
Hi everyone, Got a question that im hopeing someone has the answer to. I have been offered a new Ford Tremec t56 gearbox for 800, which sounds a good price, however i want to attach it to my Chevy 350 engine. Is this easier said than done? Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Noel
06-02-10, 08:59 PM
Just had a quick look on Tremec website to try and find an answer...]

Didn't know Aston Martin fit Tremecs as standard?? :cool::cool:

A quick call to either Mike Huddart or British American should get you your answer? You will obviously need the correct bell housing to adapt the gearbox onto the engine, no prob on the TKO's

elldee
06-02-10, 09:08 PM
Thanks Noel, i shall do that first thing monday. Ive noticed on Real Steel site they list two part numbers for the t56, one for ford and one for chevy, so there must be a difference and they dont include the bellhousing in the price.

Dutch Paul
06-02-10, 09:18 PM
Thanks Noel, i shall do that first thing monday. Ive noticed on Real Steel site they list two part numbers for the t56, one for ford and one for chevy, so there must be a difference and they dont include the bellhousing in the price.
One difference between GM and Ford will probably be the splines/length of the input shaft.

Purple AK
06-02-10, 09:20 PM
IF it fits, Quicktime will do a bellhousing to do it. If they don't list one it probably won't ;) Quick Time Performance Products (http://www.quicktimeinc.com/products.html)

Noel
06-02-10, 09:23 PM
One difference between GM and Ford will probably be the splines/length of the input shaft.

Splines on a Tremec relate to the amount of torque the box can handle

Steve
06-02-10, 09:31 PM
the ford tremecs are normally for the modular ford,(unless its an aftermarket one)

as far as i know, there isnt a ford t56 to chevy bellhousing

elldee
06-02-10, 09:48 PM
Just had a look on Quicktime's site. i cant see one on there. Looks like its back to the drawing board. :(
A big thanks to everyone for your invaluable help as always!!!!!!!

Dutch Paul
07-02-10, 03:47 AM
Splines on a Tremec relate to the amount of torque the box can handle

Hmm - see what you mean. The 26 spline T56 will take 450lb/ft whereas the 10 spline will only manage 450lb/ft. :confused:
More importantly the number of splines dictates whether a GM or Ford clutch will fit. :rolleyes:

http://www.rsgear.com/articles/2002_07.pdf