PDA

View Full Version : Road Spring Compressor needed

Ian C
22-02-10, 09:54 PM
Hi,

Making progress despite the freezing weather and continued lack of heating in the garage. Chassis cleaned, degreased (filthy job), sealed (even worse) and painted (not pleasant but at least the end result was worth it). Now getting to the enjoyable bit of assembly, having nearly completed the refurbishment of the Granada donor parts, but have come up against a problem.

I was assembling and trial fitting the front suspension tonight when it became apparent that you have to compress the road springs in order to fit them on the shock absorber (even with the adjusting rings at the end of the threads). I started to make a Heath Robinson affair out of sash clamps and bits of wood & angle iron but thought better of it when it "pinged" off" a couple of times sending bits flying across the garage.

So has any one in the North East got a road spring compressor that I could borrow for a day or two?

Ian C - still thawing out
(I thought of lighting a fire in the pit but it might not do the chassis any good)

Pilgrim Sumo Mklll - Granada: Rover V8 3.9 EFi

Gonch
22-02-10, 10:00 PM
When I had to assemble my Dax coil-overs I nipped down to the local quick fit and had them compressed on there machine for the price of a drink.

Ian C
22-02-10, 10:08 PM
Gonch,

Good idea, will be worth a try if I can't borrow one.

Thanks for the tip.

Ian C

Noel
22-02-10, 10:18 PM
Hi Ian....think something must be wrong as I haven't heard of anyone else having to compress the springs to get them on:confused:

Noel
22-02-10, 10:20 PM
Did you get those red springs from Pilgrim?

Ian C
22-02-10, 10:43 PM
Noel,

Yes, got the springs & shocks from Pilgrim when I picked up the bulk of the kit. With the two locking collars screwed as far down as they can go and the spring sitting on the collar lip there is insufficient clearance above the spring to slide the top collar on to the shock absosber arm below the attachment eye. The springs only need to be compressed about 20 - 25 mm in order for the top collar to slide into place but it is more than I can manage without a compressor.

Am I doing something wrong here?

slogger
22-02-10, 10:49 PM
Noel,

Yes, got the springs & shocks from Pilgrim when I picked up the bulk of the kit. With the two locking collars screwed as far down as they can go and the spring sitting on the collar lip there is insufficient clearance above the spring to slide the top collar on to the shock absosber arm below the attachment eye. The springs only need to be compressed about 20 - 25 mm in order for the top collar to slide into place but it is more than I can manage without a compressor.

Am I doing something wrong here?

............If they are anything like mine on the Dax, I put the top collar in place. Slid the spring on then fitted the seat and locking ring. The top collar is quite thick and the top eye drops into the recess.:cool:
Good luck.

PS. Just got your pic to load. Yep! Put the top collar on first then screw the adjuster collar and lock ring on the bottom.

Ian C
22-02-10, 11:02 PM
Ian,

Thanks for the quick response - to do as you describe I assume that the bottom collars must unscrew from the bottom of the shock absorber body? On the GAZ shocks that I have got the knurled adjusting screw prevents the collars unscrewing any further and being removed. The spring can only therefore go on from the top and to do this the top collar must be removed. I have attached another picture to show the position of the lower collars and the adjusting screw.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

slogger
22-02-10, 11:11 PM
Ian,

Thanks for the quick response - to do as you describe I assume that the bottom collars must unscrew from the bottom of the shock absorber body? On the GAZ shocks that I have got the knurled adjusting screw prevents the collars unscrewing any further and being removed. The spring can only therefore go on from the top and to do this the top collar must be removed. I have attached another picture to show the position of the lower collars and the adjusting screw.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

Hmmm. Now I see. On the Spax units the collar clears the adjuster. Looks like a pair of spring compressors it is then. The cost of sending mine up to you would be more than a pair from Halfords or machine mart.
I don't think that adjusting knob is removal. Does anybody know?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht224-3piece-coil-spring-compressor
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_20 3375_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Noel
23-02-10, 10:08 AM
Hi Ian, still doesn't look right to me??

Give Mark a call at Pilgrim and explain what's happening, the spring looks too long!!

tonym
23-02-10, 02:30 PM
can't say I've ever heard of a spring compressor being used on a Pilgrim either. Have you tried to fit the collar with the shock off the car in case the suspension is stopping full movement of the shock? Just a thought :D

Ian C
23-02-10, 02:50 PM
Noel,

Took your advice and called Pilgrim, apparently I need to incline the spring and use a bigger hammer.

Tony,

Tried with the shock absorber off the car first, I only put it on to check if there was some trick way of doing it on the car - there isn't.

Have attached a couple of additional photos to show detail - off into the garage now with a big hammer, I may be some time.

Noel
23-02-10, 03:44 PM
noel,

took your advice and called pilgrim, apparently i need to incline the spring and use a bigger hammer.

tony,

tried with the shock absorber off the car first, i only put it on to check if there was some trick way of doing it on the car - there isn't.

Have attached a couple of additional photos to show detail - off into the garage now with a big hammer, i may be some time.

Sounds like Mark alright............LOL :D :D :D