PDA

View Full Version : Fuel sender puzzle

martin_t
27-02-10, 03:24 PM
Hi

I have an ETB fuel gauge with an ETB top mounted fuel sender that I want to fit to my GD supplied petrol tank. What is puzzling me is how to retain some length in the sender arm, so it reached near enough the bottom of the tank, while still allowing it to move upwards as the tank fills and not be obstructed by the internal tank baffle. Essentially I need to shorten the arm by about two inches to clear the baffle. If I do this I am some way off the bottom of the tank.
Has anyone else had this problem, and solved it? If so I would love to hear from you as its driving me nuts!!

Regards

Martin

oglyoodoo
27-02-10, 04:20 PM
Hi

I have an ETB fuel gauge with an ETB top mounted fuel sender that I want to fit to my GD supplied petrol tank. What is puzzling me is how to retain some length in the sender arm, so it reached near enough the bottom of the tank, while still allowing it to move upwards as the tank fills and not be obstructed by the internal tank baffle. Essentially I need to shorten the arm by about two inches to clear the baffle. If I do this I am some way off the bottom of the tank.
Has anyone else had this problem, and solved it? If so I would love to hear from you as its driving me nuts!!

Regards

Martin

Most of us have had the problem of not being able to sense the level of the fuel between full and empty with a standard sender unit.
I made a new circular top plate out of a bit of 3mm stainless and then welded a piece of 1/4" tube to it and fixed the sender unit so the pivot point was half way down the tank. It can then pivot throughout it's range without hitting the internal baffle.
Have look at this:-

Holden | Gauges | Fuel Tank Senders | Top Mounting for Smiths Classic Gauges (5 hole fitting) (http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?sg=&pgCode=070&sgName=Search&pgName=Gauges&agCode=0621&agName=Fuel+Tank+Senders&pCode=070.091)

Perhaps you could modify your sender unit similarly.

HTH

Denis

CD427JAG
27-02-10, 09:43 PM
Fitted an adjustable fuel probe (ATLKS146)from Aero Tec Labs, Milton Keynes. 01908 351700. You just have to alter the angle of the mounting hole on the tank. It works accurately empty to full.

Gonch
28-02-10, 09:50 AM
Fitted an adjustable fuel probe (ATLKS146)from Aero Tec Labs, Milton Keynes. 01908 351700. You just have to alter the angle of the mounting hole on the tank. It works accurately empty to full.

Did this work with standard gauges like Smiths etc, or did the gauge need to be calibrated?

CD427JAG
28-02-10, 04:39 PM
Using standard Smiths gauge p/n BF2242-03C
Charlie

mclinc
02-03-10, 07:22 AM

Do you find the fill level is affected by the make of fuel you use ?

I have read these are affected by the amount of ethanol present in the fuel.

~
Mike

CD427JAG
02-03-10, 08:38 PM
Shell Turbo Max definitely affects fill level. It's 4.64 a litre and the Evo does about 1.3 miles per litre on the stage!!!!!