PDA

View Full Version : Wanted shifter

iancobrafan
01-03-10, 06:16 PM
Before i order one from finishline and pay $45 postage does anyone have one for sale I know its a long shot

I like this shape better than the Europa one

Cheers
Ian

Gonch
01-03-10, 06:57 PM
j&s sell them, i got one in a box buried some where

Greg
01-03-10, 06:59 PM
Ian, I know its been mentioned before but Gary at Sidepipes used to have a really good relationship with Finishline and avoided paying the duty etc. on imported parts. Definately worth giving him a shout as I've seen one of those shifters in his workshop before, so you might be lucky.

iancobrafan
01-03-10, 07:19 PM
Hi Greg,

Can i just google Sidepipes? as i am still new to this site and not sure who or where they are
Cheers
Ian

wilf
01-03-10, 07:20 PM
Watch to which side the finishline shifter cranks - after all, US cars are LHD!

iancobrafan
01-03-10, 07:29 PM
Hi Wilf,

I will have to alter the end any way to fit my R380 gear box But good point

Cheers

Ian

ldtopham
01-03-10, 07:37 PM
Here is another option. I made one for my car. Do you have access to a welder and a few off cuts of stainless tube and bar? I simply tapped the bar for the gear knob, slid some tube over the top, ran a pipe cutter around a couple of times to score it, drilled a 4mm hole, inserted 4mm bar, bent the ends, filled them flat, cut the main tube and bar, bent to the angle that best suited my driving position, welded it, polished it and finally welded a flat plate to the end where it bolted to the transmission. Job done.

About 3 hrs work if you can get hold of a few bits of bar and tube. Try a local engineers scrap bin (with permission of course);).

iancobrafan
01-03-10, 07:52 PM
Hi lee,

No problem there i have loads of stainless steel tube and i have access to EVERY type of welding equipment you could imagine

This was my first attempt unpolished :???:

Cheers

Ian

ldtopham
01-03-10, 07:54 PM
Why have you decided to purchase one? You are almost there!

ldtopham
01-03-10, 07:57 PM
In fact now I have a lathe, it would take only minutes to turn the profile! It's much more satisfying to respond to enquires about various parts by saying that you made them;).

iancobrafan
01-03-10, 08:02 PM
Hi Lee,

Foot in plaster for the next 4 weeks :( just busy buying all the little bits i need to add to the car, might give it another go as i now have the drawing.

Cheers

Ian

iancobrafan
01-03-10, 08:09 PM
Hi Lee,

Know what you mean i have spent hours making small custom stainless brackets etc and polishing them to death

Cheers
Ian

ldtopham
01-03-10, 09:34 PM
Heck, no wonder you were thinking of purchasing one.......I struggle to weld with my hands let alone my feet:D Looks like my lift reverse wants trimming back a little:rolleyes:

The making of brackets etc becomes infectious. Especially when you realise you can make them in stainless often to a better standard and for less

Have a speedy recovery;)

iancobrafan
02-03-10, 11:46 AM
Hi Lee,

Some things you cant find or buy in the UK and to import some stuff especially for one off little items is expensive, i am busy ordering bits to make a stainless turnbuckle to fit the the alternator bracket just got the Rose ends with swivel bearings (over the top for what i need) but a nice polished 12mm stainless tube it will look a treat.

Sun is shining outside the cob is polished and with a full tank of petrol "Bugger"

cheers

Ian

iancobrafan
18-04-10, 06:02 PM
Got there in the end no lock out might add it later?

Ian

Gonch
18-04-10, 06:16 PM
Very nice! maybe you should start making them to sell!

ldtopham
18-04-10, 09:37 PM

Ian
looking good Ian, top job!

BenBaron
19-04-10, 06:39 AM

Ian

Really nice job Ian, well done! I suspect you could sell those...

Just as a side note Im looking to get my shifter reduced in diameter, if anybody can help then that would be great...obviously payment is not an issue.

pic of the shifter - http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/Karen4b/IMG_5648.jpg

Thanks all
Ben