PDA

View Full Version : One of those days!

bitsilly
19-03-10, 05:01 PM
Got my Ram to the rolling road on the trailer. As I undid the last strap, the bl&*dy thing rolled of the back as the handbrake had loosened off. Could have been a disaster of biblical size but luckily it stopped before hitting the wall, and as I have a skid plate under the nose this saved me big time. I did a small amount of damage under the nose but nothing serious.
That shook me up! It was just lucky that I had the ramps in place.

Then having recovered I went into watch the dyno at work and realised that due to the owner having done work on original Cobras, he had strapped the car down using the spinners! 'Er, they are only held on with grub screws'!
Then he burnt both trouser legs on my exhaust, at least it wasn't his legs, but I will have some cleaning to do!
Cannot fault the dyno work, and the guys were both really nice, but boy did I have a bad day.
Unfortunately, it seems the overrun cannot be cured. Which was a big reason for me getting it done in the first place!
Hey ho!
And it's been raining since I got back.
On a quick test run though it pulls like a train! So I can end on a high point!
Ed

clive a brown
19-03-10, 11:22 PM
so what did she pull Ed?

simon
20-03-10, 12:18 AM
Unfortunately, it seems the overrun cannot be cured.

Whyzat? whats causing it?

bitsilly
20-03-10, 09:32 AM
Clive, over 200bhp! Then the dyno ran out of numbers, it was really just to get the carb set up.
Simon, don't have a clue. Have started another post to try and get a bit more info.
Cheers

bitsilly
21-03-10, 08:13 PM
Well the good news is that I went for a proper run today and the car is gob smacking.
There is so much torque it is great for burbling along making hot hatch owners want their money back, but if you give it a bit of wellie the thing is really quite like a dragster.
I have owned an M3 and a Westfield with a 4.6 RV8 and driven a few quick cars but nothing like this!
Kev, if you are out there, I remember you saying, when I was fitting the engine, that I wouldn't be disappointed with a 383, well you were right!

kdavies3
21-03-10, 10:05 PM
Well done Ed,
I told You so!

l'spa ram driver
26-03-10, 10:29 PM
so where is this rolling road with the burnt trousers? would you always trailer a car there or could one drive/arrive, tune and then enjoy their handiwork on the way home? My local rolling road can dyno but don't know anything about Holleys...

bitsilly
26-03-10, 11:09 PM
Call Tim Adams, it belongs to his mate Lester.
If you need his number pm me.
Yes you can drive up.

Antony
29-03-10, 08:11 AM
Well the good news is that I went for a proper run today and the car is gob smacking.
There is so much torque it is great for burbling along making hot hatch owners want their money back, but if you give it a bit of wellie the thing is really quite like a dragster.
I have owned an M3 and a Westfield with a 4.6 RV8 and driven a few quick cars but nothing like this!
Kev, if you are out there, I remember you saying, when I was fitting the engine, that I wouldn't be disappointed with a 383, well you were right!

Hey Ed
Sound good all the hard work is paying off, I dream of the day when I can go for a run.

Myles DW when are you going to do your 383?