PDA

View Full Version : Sidepipes saved my life ( Possibly!!)

Henry Piper
21-03-10, 09:41 PM
Hi all
As today was such a wonderful day I decided to take the cobra out for its first run after being off road since last December whilst I replaced a blown head gasket and did some other work to valves , valve guides Etc.
Had a splendid run out to Seaton and Lyme Regis stopping fo a Quick (non Alcoholic! ) drink at the Harbour inn Axmouth,
As we where returning along the road from Seaton to Sidmouth travelling at about 60 MPH A horse box coming towards me being towed by a tatty old Land Rover itself doing a fair old speed decided to shed a Wheel !! this wheel overtook the vehicle it came off of, and came straight towards me on my side of the road while the horse box lurched drunkenly downwards at on corner and ploughed to a halt further up the road.
I was faced with an agonising decision do I put the cobra into the hedge and hope to escape with not too much damage or just brake like hell and hope- before I had a chance to decide ,said wheel slammed into the front of my sidepipe bounced off and went back across the road in front of its "donor" vehicle, hit the kerb bouncing again, this back onto the other carriageway in front of the vehicle behind me.
If I had Undersling Exhausts the wheel would have gone straight through the door and out the other side in all probability, I,m convinced that the sidepipes saved me from very serious injury or worse (gulp!!) and possibly less importantly a big bill for repairs. I can hardly bear to think of the consequences if the wheel had hit head on, it would have run up the bonnet,through the windscreen and landed on me or my passenger at a closing velocity of something like 80-90-MPH
As it happens the damage was limited to a smallish dent to the front of the heatshield on the exhaust- I was so stunned that i didnt even take the other parties details, just checked that neither people or horse was injured and that my damage was minimal. I suppose with hindsite I should have made an insurance claim but I just felt releived at not being seriously injured.
Any way the car is back on the road running really Sweetly after its head overhaul and I hope see you all at the monthly meets over the Summer

All the Best Henry Piper

Purple AK
21-03-10, 10:02 PM
Glad you're OK Henry (and everyone else) It just goes to show how vulnerable we are on the roads, and not only in Cobras :|

craggle
21-03-10, 10:03 PM
Blimey, Sounds like a real brown trouser moment! :eek:

Glad to hear there was minimal damage to you and your car.

I often wonder about the state of some horse boxes I see around here, Chances are they are dragged out the corner of the field a couple of times a year without any maintenance or even checks done on them. Some of the big truck type boxes are even worse, I followed one the other day and had to drop back a few hundred meters so I could see where I was going past the smoke screen it was kicking out!

Craig.

Henry Piper
21-03-10, 10:21 PM
Blimey, Sounds like a real brown trouser moment! :eek:

Glad to hear there was minimal damage to you and your car.

I often wonder about the state of some horse boxes I see around here, Chances are they are dragged out the corner of the field a couple of times a year without any maintenance or even checks done on them. Some of the big truck type boxes are even worse, I followed one the other day and had to drop back a few hundred meters so I could see where I was going past the smoke screen it was kicking out!

Craig. Hello Craig.
From what I could see of the wheel as it went past it looked like it had just sheared off the axle, I thought all trailer type vehicles had to undergo some kind M.O.T test these days- if not they bloody well should !!.Brown trousers is an understatement I really thought for a second or two my time was up !! I once saw what remained of a cow that had fallen of a bridge on th M25 Id hate to think of the carnage that a Horse, Four people and at least three cars could create if the wheel had hit the car behind me (A Volvo Estate) and the situation had escalated.Fortunately we all got of lightly
Henry

Miket
21-03-10, 10:23 PM
Lucky escape Henry, glad there was very little damage, catch up at the next meet. ;)