PDA

View Full Version : weather for detling good

dave.n
02-04-10, 05:19 PM
Thank goodness the weathers looking good for detling.
occasional scattered showers on sat, bright in the south.
brighter on monday

gareth08
02-04-10, 10:26 PM
Thank goodness the weathers looking good for detling.
occasional scattered showers on sat, bright in the south.
brighter on monday

It's been 5hit here all day....will let you know what it's like Saturday and Sunday morning....

gareth08
03-04-10, 10:46 PM
It's been 5hit here all day....will let you know what it's like Saturday and Sunday morning....

Sunshine here all day today except for a very light shower at about 11am this morning. For those going I will post up in the morning what it is like here if it's of any use.

dave.n
04-04-10, 12:24 AM
Sunshine here all day today except for a very light shower at about 11am this morning. For those going I will post up in the morning what it is like here if it's of any use.

Thanks Gareth
It's good to have a mate on site(or near as damn it).
CHUCKING IT DOWN AT PRESENT AND HAS BEEN FOR 2+HRS SE LONDON.
BBC say rain till about 08;00am, rain about 10;00am then rain about 4;00pm.
So wet getting there, then wet when it opens, then wet all the way home. no change there then.:(
However looking on the bright side. Detling has it's very own climate. This often means that it can be raining everywhere except at detling or it can be sunny everywhere and snowing at the top of Detling hill. So we'll soon see who got their cobra for driving and who got their cobra for posing:cool:

gareth08
04-04-10, 08:57 AM
Thanks Gareth
It's good to have a mate on site(or near as damn it).
CHUCKING IT DOWN AT PRESENT AND HAS BEEN FOR 2+HRS SE LONDON.
BBC say rain till about 08;00am, rain about 10;00am then rain about 4;00pm.
So wet getting there, then wet when it opens, then wet all the way home. no change there then.:(
However looking on the bright side. Detling has it's very own climate. This often means that it can be raining everywhere except at detling or it can be sunny everywhere and snowing at the top of Detling hill. So we'll soon see who got their cobra for driving and who got their cobra for posing:cool:

Overcast but sunny spells at the moment.Was a bit of light drizzle earlier. As you say Dave could be tropical storm at Detling.;):D

gareth08
04-04-10, 10:39 AM
No idea what its like 4 miles up the road but its pissing down here now :(:(

V8 BJC
05-04-10, 09:56 AM
Yesterday was one of those days that reward the positive thinkers.

Got car out of garage at 8am. Rain had stopped.
Cup of tea later just started to rain, would have been sooooooo easy to put car away and not bother.
Decided to go for it, drive to 7-indulgence was light rain, not enough to get personally wet but spray on the road left little fun in the drive.
7-indy put on a good show. Lots of cars there, tea, coffee and bacon butties too - thanks again guys :D
Nice dry drive with southern kitcar group do Detling. Good to catch up with some people, have a nosy round and pick up a few bits.
Nice drive home in the sunshine, very fresh but blue sky.
Even got back to meet the family in time for roast turkey, roast gammon and all the trimmings.
What a great day.

greenwood03
05-04-10, 08:22 PM
Glad to see a few of you chaps at Indulgence, the boys there did us proud.
Sorry didnt get a chance to catch up with you Brian....next time!
Nice to see that at least 20 Cob owners know that they won't shrink in the rain :-)
Yesterday was one of those days when it would have been easy to blow the Show out - bit of rain early doors and then dry for the rest of the day.

Don't know if any of you will fancy getting involved - next 2 'events' that we're organizing with Southern Kit Cars:
Sunday 25th April - Big Brekkie Run
Friday Evening May 7th - Fish n Chip Run.

Details as usual on southernkitcars.com/forum
thx
Mark

dave.n
05-04-10, 08:34 PM
Mark
Sorry didn't catch up with you.
Graham and Jon recon they had a real good time.
As for the shrinking violets, great to see so many of your guy's braving it. Always the same with cobra owners there are those who get out there, and those who think that their car is gonna depreciate if it see's a bit of weather.
Before I get stamped all over it is their choice what they want to do.
Great to see all the people, old friends and new. A very special thank you to those who had their cars on the stand.

SO WHO'S GONNA POST THE FIRST CARAVAN PICTURE. I got loads but can't get them on here (pc busted) possible the star of the whole show.

Purple AK
05-04-10, 08:59 PM
Yep a Great Weekend, and a pleasure to catch with old friends and put faces to names on some new ones :D Detling does seem to have it's very own weather system :rolleyes: But we missed most of it even if it was a "tad chilly" ;) Looks like it's down to me to post the first picture of the Caravan :( But the first ones are of Dave's hardtop "in progress" just to show we've both been busy! ;)

Clarkson
05-04-10, 09:10 PM
Yep nice to meet the southern kit car guys and must say thanks to ratboy and 7-indulgence for breakfast and coffee! Top man:D

RichardG
05-04-10, 09:30 PM
Caravan is excellent Chris, nice one.

Yep a Great Weekend, and a pleasure to catch with old friends and put faces to names on some new ones :D Detling does seem to have it's very own weather system :rolleyes: But we missed most of it even if it was a "tad chilly" ;) Looks like it's down to me to post the first picture of the Caravan :( But the first ones are of Dave's hardtop "in progress" just to show we've both been busy! ;)

Miket
05-04-10, 09:34 PM
Love the caravan Chris, excellent job, never seen a caravan with minilites fitted. :cool: :D

Purple AK
05-04-10, 09:44 PM
Love the caravan Chris, excellent job, never seen a caravan with minilites fitted. :cool: :D Blagged em off my local Mini Restorers for 20 :D The mudgaurds are only temporary (to get it on the road) Our good friends at & Indulgence have offered me 1st pick of their stock of spare Caterham mudguards :D

Purple AK
05-04-10, 09:51 PM
The mudguards are only temporary (to get it on the road) Our good friends at @ 7 Indulgence have offered me 1st pick of their stock of spare Caterham mudguards :D

Ran out of edit time.

craggle
05-04-10, 10:04 PM
Is this a Cobra towed caravan? Got any pictures?

Craig.

KevinW
05-04-10, 10:05 PM
Chris,

is that the same caravan that was for sale at exeter?
have you tried a night away in it yet?

cheers
kevin

Clarkson
05-04-10, 10:13 PM

Craig.

Yes, check out this post.;)

craggle
05-04-10, 10:18 PM
Bugger, That'll teach me to read the whole thread before commenting on the last post! :rolleyes:

Nice Caravan Chris. Are you going to paint it purple? :p

Craig.

kenf
05-04-10, 10:18 PM
More pics of the caravan

Purple AK
05-04-10, 10:24 PM

Craig.Yep ;) The faster you go the better it tows :D I could do with a professional polisher to help me out though :(

Purple AK
05-04-10, 10:26 PM
Chris,

is that the same caravan that was for sale at exeter?
have you tried a night away in it yet?

cheers
kevinNo Kevin, I built it from the ground up. And Stoneleigh will be it's first "sleepover"! While the others are erecting their tents I'll be sipping a cold beer from the 12v cooler :D

craggle
05-04-10, 10:30 PM
Excellent work Chris. I like that a lot. :cool:

You're thinking mirror finish on it are you?

Craig.

Purple AK
05-04-10, 10:32 PM
Excellent work Chris. I like that a lot. :cool:

You're thinking mirror finish on it are you?

Craig. Whatever you can manage :D

Purple AK
05-04-10, 10:45 PM
Whatever you can manage :D Seriously. I only peeled the protective firm off on Saturday and the roof already has some corrosion spots caused by "unknown" pinholes in the film! I would like to get it at least back to shiny all over! But I realise that a full blown polished finish is a step TOOOOOOOOOO Far! As far as maintenance is concerned!

craggle
05-04-10, 10:48 PM
It is a very big area and getting an even polished finished on it would be very difficult and as you say, a nightmare to keep looking good if you intend to actually use it in all weathers.

Maybe leaving it as a brushed finish and apply a few coats of good quality wax polish to try and keep the water away from the surface?

You could always polish a couple of stripes over the top. :p

Craig.

Purple AK
05-04-10, 10:55 PM
It is a very big area and getting an even polished finished on it would be very difficult and as you say, a nightmare to keep looking good if you intend to actually use it in all weathers.

Maybe leaving it as a brushed finish and apply a few coats of good quality wax polish to try and keep the water away from the surface?

You could always polish a couple of stripes over the top. :p

Craig.My thoughts as well! I just need to remove the finger prints of everyone that has been to Detling over the last two days first!

Clarkson
05-04-10, 11:40 PM
Why don't you spray it purple??

KevinW
06-04-10, 12:52 AM
i think you should polish all over and then add 2 satin stripes down it. :-D ;-)

steve_h
06-04-10, 12:52 AM
couple of photos from 7 iny

thanks to Mark for organising it and all at 7 for their hospitality

Steve

greenwood03
06-04-10, 10:21 PM
Steve ( and everyone else ) 'twas a pleasure to arrange, have passed on thanks to Jon/Graham - Rat Dawg and the others.....I think Graham is a bit gutted that many of his photos weren't up to scratch -'all the gear and no idea' :-)

If you enjoyed that the next thing for your diaries is the return of the Big Brekkie on the 25th. I think that's your normal meeting day? Perhaps you can wheel the cars out a bit ealier than normal, do the bekkie and have your meet as per normal?
It'll be at the Chalet Cowfold again, 10-10.30 arrival. Tyre kick, chat to new faces and then potter off to wherever you're headed.

I'll be looking for a show of hands on the Sothernkitcars.com/forum so that i can work out possible group runs to the Cafe like we did before.....
cheers Mark

steve_h
07-04-10, 01:17 PM
Unfortunatly we will be in Egypt doing a bit of diving, suffering the heat, and the all inclusive, food and drink package at the hotel!

will try to make the next one

Steve