PDA

View Full Version : Track Day at Llandow Anyone?

kdavies3
13-04-10, 12:52 PM
Hi all,
just a thought at the moment but would anyone be interested in a track day at the Llandow circuit near Cowbridge?
As for noise limits last time I asked, I was told that I think we have a noise meter somewhere. :D:rolleyes:
It's not a big circuit but at least it would give us a chance to open the cars up a bit. :D
I know that Ed (Bitsilly) has been there numerous times as has my eldest son with his various toys.
The options would be to have an exclusive Cobra day or join on with another group or open session.
The price would depend on numbers too.
That said it's one of the cheaper circuits that I know of. :D

Llandow Circuit (http://www.llandow.com/)

bitsilly
13-04-10, 07:57 PM
I have never seen them check noise but they did once use the sound meter to breathalise some woman driver!
I love it there as it is almost homely compared to say Coombe and half the price of anywhere else.

Kev, with what normally turns up to a day there and the length of the straights I would without doubt say lets try for an all Cobra or big cc/classic car day. The alternative is to have lots of lightweight 7 thingys flying past you just before each corner.
They are helpful if you want to organise a day yourself, but an alternative is to swamp one of their own days with Cobras, they would also help with that.

I am a dead cert unless I'm away or dead. Danny (Ram) has also expressed interest. Then there's you.

It is 40 cars max normally and then they charge about 80, so about 3200 (MAX) for everything on the day (stewards, ambulance and now a posh coffee van who sells things like mocha skinny half double lattes) but IIRC you can get exclusive use for around 2400 .

You know it makes sense!

Paul B
13-04-10, 09:20 PM
Hi Kev

One of our guys, Harry Holgate, regularly takes his cob around there and often seems to mix it up with other cars without too many problems. It probably helps that he is a Kiwi and as mad as a box of frogs !!

He keeps suggesting others to come with him and says that noise is definately not an issue.

I am uncertain about taking mine around in case I am not as good a driver as I think !!

Paul

Noel
13-04-10, 09:40 PM
A group of us in Cob's did it last year and it was very enjoyable, highly recommended....also helps that there is no noise limit ;) :cool:

Clarkson
13-04-10, 09:53 PM
When???:confused:

kdavies3
13-04-10, 10:27 PM
Hi David, at this point it's just an idea but if there's enough interest I'll gladly organise it. :D
Some time in the summer I guess it's cheaper Monday to Friday too but those of us that are self employed might not be too happy about that. :D

If there's enough initial interest I'll talk to Llandow and get a definite date. ;)

I only live a few miles from the circuit so I often hear nice noises coming over on the breeze. :rolleyes:

I could probably offer a couple of bed and breakfast places too for those have along way to come. :p

Happy Jim
13-04-10, 11:02 PM
Yes please :D

Jim

Clarkson
13-04-10, 11:04 PM
Hi David, at this point it's just an idea but if there's enough interest I'll gladly organise it. :D
Some time in the summer I guess it's cheaper Monday to Friday too but those of us that are self employed might not be too happy about that. :D

If there's enough initial interest I'll talk to Llandow and get a definite date. ;)

I only live a few miles from the circuit so I often hear nice noises coming over on the breeze. :rolleyes:

I could probably offer a couple of bed and breakfast places too for those have along way to come. :p

Cool! count me in for b&b, otherwise I'll steal Purple AK caravan.:D

chedz
15-04-10, 02:27 AM
Some of us did Llandow last year through a friend of a friends charity track day...I loved it, very friendly, no pressure to try and kill yourself, safe track with plenty of run off (luckily) and cheap. Quite short so no 120mph straights.

There is a nice campsite about 0.5 miles away.

Getting there and back was interesting, but I won't embarass noel, Seb or Robin by telling you the details. :D:D:D

Hope to go again this year one way or another.

G.

kdavies3
15-04-10, 08:03 AM
Some of us did Llandow last year through a friend of a friends charity track day...I loved it, very friendly, no pressure to try and kill yourself, safe track with plenty of run off (luckily) and cheap. Quite short so no 120mph straights.

There is a nice campsite about 0.5 miles away.

Getting there and back was interesting, but I won't embarass noel, Seb or Robin by telling you the details. :D:D:DHope to go again this year one way or another.

G.

Ah! go on, go on, go on. :D do tell.

So could I count you guys in as potentials for this then? :D

daxed
15-04-10, 02:34 PM
Potential here please - campsite details too would be cool.

Steve

kdavies3
15-04-10, 02:38 PM
The Campsite is literally next door to the circuit. :D
There are also numerous B&Bs in the area.:p

MrHappy
15-04-10, 04:22 PM
We could be keen, but not in the Cobra. We'd bring the track car as it's set up for this sort of malarkey.

FatBoy
15-04-10, 05:28 PM
I'd be interested subject to when. :D

Paul

kdavies3
16-04-10, 12:33 AM
I think we have enough initial interest to kick this off then. :D

I'll talk to the circuit about an exclusive booking but I suspect we might struggle with just Cobras, or maybe not :D
Go on prove me wrong, :p I'll aim for a weekend date in August.

When I say just Cobra's I mean Cobra Club folks 'cos I know some of you have other toys too.

dolphinboy400
16-04-10, 09:15 AM
cool i will be up for this, and august is far enough away to plan ahead and tell the wife i wont be available ;)

Robin427
16-04-10, 03:33 PM
A group of us in Cob's did it last year and it was very enjoyable

Even the waiting around for someone who kept overheating... :D

David Large
16-04-10, 08:21 PM
I was there a few weeks ago in my new red toy. It is a short track and quite bumpy in places but certainly great fun, if i can make the date I would be keen to come.
David

bitsilly
16-04-10, 08:48 PM
When you come around the last corner keep left, it's much flatter.
Did you see a green Phoenix with a roll cage?

kdavies3
16-04-10, 09:47 PM
Ed, too many toys, too many toys. :mrgreen:

David Large
16-04-10, 11:49 PM
When you come around the last corner keep left, it's much flatter.
Did you see a green Phoenix with a roll cage?

There were 2 open sports cars there, one with a motorbike engine in it being towed behind a camper van and another one. There was an old grey Subaru doing quite well and a Peugeot 305 lookalike that was very quick.

I spoke to the guy with the camper van and had a look at the other car.

I was there on (oh dear I have forgotten and because I am stranded in New York (its ash in the air apparently) my ipaq does not store appointments over 4 weeks old, but it was a Saturday. I spun my little red car 3 times and went home in disgrace, but since then I have fitted wider wheels on the back and new tyres all around and the handling is now much better.

Cheers

kdavies3
19-04-10, 09:29 PM
Hi All,
I've made initial inquiries with Llandow about a Cobra Club track day. :D

Apparently Cobras tend to be a little loud :rolleyes: So if some of the cars were "closer" to the 105 dB limit they would prefer it if we held it on a week day.
So as not to upset the few neighbours they have (me included). :cool:

The cost would be around £80 per car. :p

Plus £170 to pay (between us) for the obligatory Paramedic. (which nobody wants to meet).

OK a stake in the Ground.

Tuesday 3rd of August 2010. :-P

Noel
19-04-10, 09:37 PM
Even the waiting around for someone who kept overheating... :D

Character building Robin ;) :D

All sorted now and Sidecarbod has breathed his magic on the engine.....it's now a monster :cool:

Happy Jim
19-04-10, 09:42 PM
Tuesday 3rd of August 2010. :-P

1. KDavies3 - Dax
2. Happy Jim - GD

Carry it on...

shadow
19-04-10, 10:46 PM
August eh? hmmmm :p

If it ain't ready, I'll bring a few spanners to throw down the track. :D

Shadow - GD or Spanners

Robin427
20-04-10, 07:48 AM
Character building Robin ;) :D

All sorted now and Sidecarbod has breathed his magic on the engine.....it's now a monster :cool:

Glad to hear it! Can't make that day, we're going on holiday with the other Robin