PDA

View Full Version : Clarkson's SR rebuild

Clarkson
27-04-10, 09:08 PM
After thinking really hard over the last few months due to my bad body fitting/alignment and rusty chassis i've decided to bite the bullet and remove the body to get my chassis shot blasted, repowder coated along with a few mods to bring my car up to date. I will be sorting out the bumpsteer issue with a new Ford P.A.S rack, seatbelt mounts, EFI return fuel line, might have a single roll bar and fuel cap on the wing. A retrim and paint job, and then fit my fancy new engine.

I have been in the garage since sat and the body is loose and just needs lifting off.

Here are a few pic's and will update them throught out my new rebuild.

Helpful comments only please!;-)

craggle
27-04-10, 09:14 PM
Wow, Never realised the SR chassis has radius arms to the rear wishbones. Looks a nice setup.

Think your doing the right thing though, Seems a shame to do all that work on everything else and not sort the chassis first.

When do you want a lift off with the body and into the van?

Craig.

kdavies3
27-04-10, 09:15 PM
Blimey Dave you are going for it. :D
I'm sure your Dad would be very proud.

Clarkson
27-04-10, 09:32 PM
Wow, Never realised the SR chassis has radius arms to the rear wishbones. Looks a nice setup.

Think your doing the right thing though, Seems a shame to do all that work on everything else and not sort the chassis first.

When do you want a lift off with the body and into the van?

Craig.

Thanks Craig will do as soon as I've sorted out a powder coating company, also big thanks to craig for storing it for me in his shed. I'll need your advice on how to tidy up the inside of the body.

I like the SR Chassis, it's a proper strong thing, just a shame have to start from scratch.:(

Clarkson
27-04-10, 09:40 PM
Blimey Dave you are going for it. :D
I'm sure your Dad would be very proud.

Yes, Car is 20 years old now and built it with him at the grand age of 17 without the help of this website LOL, what I thought was correct at the time is not so right now.

Hopefully it should last another 20years.:D

Purple AK
27-04-10, 09:41 PM
I wouldn't call it "Starting from Scratch" more like a Refresh. 99% of the work is done! It's just the Fine Detail that you are doing now. Sadly that can be the expensive bit :(

craggle
27-04-10, 09:43 PM
Not a problem with the storage David, Happy to help and it seems a good place to keep it in the dry while the rolling chassis is sorted out. I guess we could bring the engine crane back with it to get it out your way as well and I'll return it when the engine needs to go in?

I'll get the shed sorted out this weekend as it's full of old Range Rover wheels at the moment! :p

Just let me know when you are ready for a lift and I'll cruise over. :cool:

Craig.

Clarkson
27-04-10, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't call it "Starting from Scratch" more like a Refresh. 99% of the work is done! It's just the Fine Detail that you are doing now. Sadly that can be the expensive bit :(

Yes! The car has only really been in a mock up stage, just hard striping down as it's a very relible car. My interior and paint has always been in a mess, so looking forward to getting it done at last.

Robin427
28-04-10, 12:36 PM
I'll get the shed sorted out this weekend as it's full of old Range Rover wheels at the moment! :p

Just sold 5xRostyle wheels with tyres on eBay. Got the princely sum of 8.39 :(

craggle
28-04-10, 12:45 PM
Mine are all alloys. The 18" ones I took of my Range Rover and the 16" ones that came off my Parents Range Rover.
Probably not worth much more than you got!

Craig.

Robin427
28-04-10, 12:53 PM
I was going to take them to the tip anyway - at least this way someone else pays for the fuel!

runt
28-04-10, 03:53 PM
Looking forward to updates on this, are you changing your dash layout Dave and are you going for a nice evil black paint finish like the previous SR demo car, or a Shelby blue/white, why are you going for pas as I think of you as a keen pilot..?
As you say one can imagine these cars lasting for years if looked after, chassis looks very sturdy.

Paul

Clarkson
28-04-10, 04:55 PM
Looking forward to updates on this, are you changing your dash layout Dave and are you going for a nice evil black paint finish like the previous SR demo car, or a Shelby blue/white, why are you going for pas as I think of you as a keen pilot..?
As you say one can imagine these cars lasting for years if looked after, chassis looks very sturdy.

Paul

I don't think I can have the same dash style like yours, just don't have the room between the dash and the stainless panel behind it.

Black with a cream stripe is my no1 choice, but to have black on a GRP body needs to be perfect down the sides. I also fancy a few blues and one modern blue found on the new Audi R8. I also would like it in Yellow and white!!

Do you remember the old SR demo car?? I will never forget the first ride out in it, I was only 17 and Brian scared me shitless!! It only had 350hp.

Ever since I drove Steve's MK4 GD, it was a must have mod esp with my ropey bumpsteer with the MGB rack.

Got a few decent quotes today for shot blasting and powder coating and one for "E" coating, just trying to decide which way I'm going with it.

Going to Madgwick cars on Sat to pick up my new steering rack brackets and some folded sheet metal to remove the unwanted box section on the left hand side of the transmisson tunnel.

runt
28-04-10, 05:43 PM
Actually I have a standard Dax dash layout Dave, but although it looks nice and so easy to read the guages, the design DB has come up with for a Shelby 427 s/comp type layout is my plan, like Brian has done.
My old Chimaera was Midas Pearl Yellow, great color for any extreme sports car, Rod Stewart had a yellow AC Mk4.
That SR black demo is described as ballistic by all who tried it, just goes to show, some people's 350 horses are fitter than others!
I assumed there was nowt wrong with MGB rack, as so many Cobs have it?
My powder coat is doing its job but in one or two places I had to wirebrush/Hammerite where it was JUST starting to flake, how about that POR 15 stuff..?

Paul

Clarkson
28-04-10, 06:52 PM
Oh thought you had the same dash as Brian.

I think this yellow Cob looks the tits, this colour will suit my radical solid roller camshaft.

The engne in the black demo SR was only a stock GM crate HO motor, I think it was quick cause I've never been a performance car like that before.

The MGB rack was far too short for the SR chassis

runt
28-04-10, 07:15 PM
Oh thought you had the same dash as Brian.

I think this yellow Cob looks the tits, this colour will suit my radical solid roller camshaft.

The engne in the black demo SR was only a stock GM crate HO motor, I think it was quick cause I've never been a performance car like that before.

The MGB rack was far too short for the SR chassis

Yep, looks wild, as a Cob should!
That stock motor, perhaps as we've said before, a motor making decent low range torque can feel quicker on the road than a 'top end' lopey motor that delivers at 5000 revs upwards..?

Paul

Steve
28-04-10, 08:46 PM
i was amazed at how strong a stock ls engine was, with only 350hp, it was definitely the solid low down delivery which made it feel quick.

Dave, seems like you are taking the bull by the horns!

slogger
28-04-10, 10:04 PM
Nice one Dave. Bet you get it sorted before mine actually runs again!!;)

Mine would have been a whole lot easier with the body off, I must admit, and could do with a new body to really sort it, like me.:cool:

Brake mods coming along well with the balance bar box and twin master cylinders just fitting with 5mm to spare. Callipers off the weekend if all goes to plan.:-D

V8 BJC
29-04-10, 08:19 AM
Dave
looking at your car the other day I think you could do the dash by moving the ss panel forwards. Seemed to be lots of room? If so, you could do like mine with flat panel and flat bottom. To make it look right you need to mod the body under dash lip and maybe doors also like I did.

Alternative would be to make one with flat bottom but fix as current with ends curving inwards at each end

are you going to use one of the original style indicator arms on your column

Brian

Clarkson
29-04-10, 09:38 AM
Dave
looking at your car the other day I think you could do the dash by moving the ss panel forwards. Seemed to be lots of room? If so, you could do like mine with flat panel and flat bottom. To make it look right you need to mod the body under dash lip and maybe doors also like I did.

Alternative would be to make one with flat bottom but fix as current with ends curving inwards at each end

are you going to use one of the original style indicator arms on your column

Brian

Bring your template round next time and I'll take a view.

Neil O
29-04-10, 10:50 AM
I don't know....with you guys getting into these authenticity mods you'll be fitting Ford engines soon. ;)

Bold decision to go back to the start Dave, good luck with the renovation. :-D

Clarkson
01-05-10, 09:53 PM
It's off!

Have to say big thanks to Craig, and his mate and brian for hiring the trailer and towing it to his home address to store the body for me and bring back a rolling chassis.;);)

craggle
02-05-10, 08:15 AM
Not a problem David, It was a fun day apart from the heavy rain shower just as were unloading the body!

I was thinking about when we move the chassis next time to the blasters and I may get you to measure it and I'll see if it will fit in the back of a LWB transit as I can borrow the works one. May be easier than a trailer again just to move a lightweight bare chassis frame and it will be even cheaper.

Today's job is to try and reattach the rear bumper on my Range Rover! It has well and truly hanging off now!

Craig.

P.S. I may have given your body shell a clean......... :mrgreen:

Steve
02-05-10, 08:20 AM
P.S. I may have given your body shell a clean......... :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

Dave was hoping that might be the case, infact we are all planning to leave various car bits at yours for a while...just in case

V8 BJC
02-05-10, 09:02 AM
Glad to help.

Found the pick of the black car from the ring in 2007. It very nearly tempted me away from the colour I went with.

craggle
02-05-10, 09:06 AM
I like the hardtop. :mrgreen:

I can see what DB modelled his one on now.

Craig.

Clarkson
02-05-10, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=craggle;355331]Not a problem David, It was a fun day apart from the heavy rain shower just as were unloading the body!

I was thinking about when we move the chassis next time to the blasters and I may get you to measure it and I'll see if it will fit in the back of a LWB transit as I can borrow the works one. May be easier than a trailer again just to move a lightweight bare chassis frame and it will be even cheaper.

Today's job is to try and reattach the rear bumper on my Range Rover! It has well and truly hanging off now!

Craig.

P.S. I may have given your body shell a clean......... :mrgreen:[/QUOTE

Who ordered the rain today?!:(

I'll measure the chassis later and let you know.;)

Thanks for the wipe over, the body was full of metal dust,but feel free to polish it if you want!:-D

Clarkson
02-05-10, 01:28 PM
Glad to help.

Found the pick of the black car from the ring in 2007. It very nearly tempted me away from the colour I went with.

Yes I remember that car, very nice indeed also nice for the owner to have a chat with us!:-D

runt
02-05-10, 04:22 PM
So things are moving along, have Madgwick made any mods to chassis/suspension that interest you Dave?

Paul

Clarkson
02-05-10, 07:53 PM
So things are moving along, have Madgwick made any mods to chassis/suspension that interest you Dave?

Paul

Main mod is the new steering rack in which I'm doing. They have done a few other mods which I don't agree with. I quite fancy a single hoop roll bar, but I'll need a new fuel tank.

Clarkson
22-05-10, 09:36 PM
Just thought I'll update my thread, nice hot and sunny today, so I decided to get stuck into my car. Welded my new P.A.S brackets and fitted the rack. Just waiting for my steering arms and rose joints.

BLOKE
01-08-10, 11:21 AM
HI DAVID, Not sure if you picked this post up I placed on your P.M.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Dave , this is a copy of my post in general postings see below.
Frank. BLOKE.

Sr v8 owners. Note.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all SR V8 owners, We now have our own section in TEC TIPS.
As most of you will know, I have been trying to get this opened for some time, I have a list of 25 + owners, that I don't know what to do with yet, If I list them, where do I put it, has anyone got any suggestions, ( clean ones).
In the mean time and as I am just back from holiday, I will let it gather momentum, and will start to monitor it and help were I can after I settle back in.
Regards Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

PS. Note for Dave. Since our chassis were built, Dave Corruthers has made some improvements to it, you may wish to consider these, I can help with this info. if required as Dave and I go back a long way. Frank.

Clarkson
01-08-10, 03:23 PM
HI DAVID, Not sure if you picked this post up I placed on your P.M.

Hi Dave , this is a copy of my post in general postings see below.
Frank. BLOKE.

Sr v8 owners. Note.

Hi all SR V8 owners, We now have our own section in TEC TIPS.
As most of you will know, I have been trying to get this opened for some time, I have a list of 25 + owners, that I don't know what to do with yet, If I list
them, where do I put it, has anyone got any suggestions, ( clean ones).
In the mean time and as I am just back from
holiday, I will let it gather momentum, and will start to monitor it and help were I can after I settle back in.
Regards Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

PS. Note for Dave. Since our chassis were built, Dave Corruthers has made some improvements to it, you may wish to consider these, I can help with this info. if required as Dave and I go back a long way.
Frank.

Hi Frank, yes received your pm and I've noticed we have our own forum now. ;)

No comment on your second statement.:(

Clarkson
11-09-10, 08:30 PM
Update.

After spending lots of dirty weekends carrying out mods, welding,grinding etc, I've got my chassis back on Friday and I'm so pleased with the results from keep powder coating company done a fantastic job shot blasting it and powder coating it. While it was gone I got a chance to paint the garage too.

Now the assembly begins.:-D

I also should have my engine built and dyno end of month.

Clarkson
11-09-10, 08:34 PM
Oh my bloody camera is broken, I'll try to upload some pics from my iPhone.

Anybody got a cheap digital camera for sale?

cobrascim
29-09-10, 09:51 PM
Dave,
Meant to ask. After taking out the extra piece of tunnel on the passenger side did you fully weld in new panel or did you leave some as a removable section for future work?
Any pics of the area? I'm hoping to start my mods soon.
Regards.
John.

Clarkson
30-09-10, 09:53 PM
Dave,
Meant to ask. After taking out the extra piece of tunnel on the passenger side did you fully weld in new panel or did you leave some as a removable section for future work?
Any pics of the area? I'm hoping to start my mods soon.
Regards.
John.

Hi John

I fully seam welded mine in, no need for it to be removeable as there is nothing there to be worked on. You could make it that way if you want as it's not structure.

I'll post up some pics for you in the weekend.

I need to update this thread anyway.

I'm now at rolling chassis stage with everything powder coated. Looks like a new build. Nearly ready to refit the body once I've sorted out my PAS steering

bloke from stoke
30-09-10, 11:20 PM
pics, pics pics pics and narative PLEASE, interested, so let us see, please.

Kind regards Lester

cobrascim
30-09-10, 11:26 PM
Look forward top viewing Dave, thanks.
John.

Hagster
01-10-10, 08:48 AM
Very interested as well Dave, so we need pics and descriptions + narative.

Well done that man :)

Guy

cobrascim
12-11-10, 06:05 PM
Dave,
You finished yet?
I was speaking to Pete Jones and this is the type of thing he would be interested in for an article in the club mag. There are a lot of members that dont frequent the website and a wee write up and information would be good for them. As well as helping to get some mags out. Wouldn't even need to be a large write up if it had lots of pictures. Be interesting seeing a re-build in the mag as opposed to a new build for a wee change.
I've promised another couple of page fillers myself so could do with getting my finger out.
Regards.
John.

pete the b
12-11-10, 09:03 PM
Well impressed with your efforts so far. The only thing I might have done in such a drastic rebuild would be to have dropped the floorpan a couple of inches to get down in the car a little better. If you really want some more work you could modify the body to sit over the chassis properly. If you look at pictures of Franks car "Bloke" it sits down at the back because we cut the rear bulkhead down an inch or two and reglassed it up. We also moved the boot floor further forwand to give more space inside. His car now sits very well. By the way a lot of interest has been shown in your rebuild do you want to put it in Snake Torque and share it with all the club, I'm sure it would go down well and I need the material! keep the faith, Pete.

Clarkson
13-11-10, 12:27 AM
Hi guys,

it's 1.25am, bit pissed and I'll comment later in the week.

Purple AK
13-11-10, 04:40 PM
Hi guys,

it's 1.25am, bit pissed and I'll comment later in the week. You still know what time it is! You really must try harder ;)

Clarkson
14-11-10, 08:07 PM
Pete/John.

Thanks for your comments, never thought about doing an write up for the mag, to be honest, I've not really got the time of it and will consider it when I've got it finished!!

Clarkson
14-11-10, 08:18 PM
Chassis fully built up and rolling now. I spent the day setting up the suspension using fishing line only to find out my rear wheels are toeing out!! Looks like I'll be removing the rear axle again to sort out the rear toe shims. Also I have excessive neg camber at 1.4/1.6 which is a simple shim between the brake disc and driveshaft.

Engine is fully built now and just waiting for dyno time.

Need to look into a petrol tank mod for efi.

V8 BJC
15-11-10, 04:37 PM
You still know what time it is! You really must try harder ;)

Harder we tried the night before. They threw us out of the pub at 2am. We learned the hard way that this is not clever when you are planning to dyno 400ci of V8 power 6 hours later :(

Clarkson
15-11-10, 09:17 PM
Harder we tried the night before. They threw us out of the pub at 2am. We learned the hard way that this is not clever when you are planning to dyno 400ci of V8 power 6 hours later :(

Haha, changing 16 valve springs on a hot engine is no fun with a bad hangover! Next time do it yourself.

V8 BJC
15-11-10, 09:40 PM
Haha, changing 16 valve springs on a hot engine is no fun with a bad hangover! Next time do it yourself.

Tim explained our various roles numerous times ;)

Steve
15-11-10, 09:48 PM
hey chap...sig change in order

Clarkson
22-01-11, 07:41 PM
Thought I'll post a few pics up.

Clarkson
22-01-11, 07:51 PM
And some more.

Clarkson
22-01-11, 08:03 PM
Couple of engine pics in the making. Engine is now fully built and waiting for couple of days testing on the dyno. Can't seem to find the latest pics?

poor pics from a camera phone

Clarkson
22-01-11, 08:30 PM
I will post up some more pics tomorrow.

The chassis is complete fully rolling on it's wheels again.

Front tracking and camber has been set up,but when mearsuring the rear axle it's a different story! Have to remove 1 degree of negitve camber (each side) which is not a problem, just adding shims, but my N/S/R wheel is slighty toeing out and my O/S/R wheel is parallel, So I think I will have to remove the rear axle again and adjust the lower arm with some shims which is a real pain in the ass!!

Anyone have a quicker method in doing this??

I have spoken to a Jag racing team that races E types seen at the classic racing, and they say to heat the back side of the lower arm??:confused:

Steve
22-01-11, 10:10 PM
took me half a day to align the wheels on the last jag cob....no real shortcut

Clarkson
22-01-11, 10:15 PM
took me half a day to align the wheels on the last jag cob....no real shortcut

Rear axle toe??

Steve
22-01-11, 10:37 PM
yep, using shims, measuring toe, thrust line etc, really depends on how accurate you want to be, but as your chassis is bare its worth getting it right.

i worked by using laser levels clamped to the rear hubs, after levelling the chassis and getting solid bars for springs to ensure the axles were at ride height.

Pointed the laser beam at the front stub axles, so i could get toe correct and ensure thrust was centred and symmetrical about the front axle. (have to set the front alignment first though.

Got to the point whereI couldnt get it any more accurate due to the laser light having a circle about 2mm dia, so just marked the mid point on the laser spot

Clarkson
22-01-11, 10:44 PM
yep, using shims, measuring toe, thrust line etc, really depends on how accurate you want to be, but as your chassis is bare its worth getting it right.

i worked by using laser levels clamped to the rear hubs, after levelling the chassis and getting solid bars for springs to ensure the axles were at ride height.

Pointed the laser beam at the front stub axles, so i could get toe correct and ensure thrust was centred and symmetrical about the front axle. (have to set the front alignment first though.

Got to the point whereI couldnt get it any more accurate due to the laser light having a circle about 2mm dia, so just marked the mid point on the laser spot

I used fishing line, very accurate, but yes it needs sorting out! That's my next job, but could not get hold of wards.:(

pevans
23-01-11, 08:46 AM
Your car is going to be awsome. I love the engine !!!!!

What are the blue lines running the length of the chassis ? fuel ?

Steve
23-01-11, 11:12 AM
yes EFI flow and return for the TWM system

Clarkson
23-01-11, 01:02 PM
Your car is going to be awsome. I love the engine !!!!!

What are the blue lines running the length of the chassis ? fuel ?

Hi Paul,

Yes fuel lines for efi, supply and return, Russel sell blue aluminium anodized fuel pipe.

Mick H
23-01-11, 01:08 PM
Hi David, when I adjusted the rear end on my car, which ever side needed adjustment, I slckened off only that side from the diff and pushed in a shim with a slit in it then tightened it back up for a quick check. Once all the tools you need are to hand it doesn't take that long. Any adjustment to lower wishbone, alters camber though as the hub carrier pivots from this point. Pictures look good!

Mick H

Clarkson
23-01-11, 01:16 PM
Hi David, when I adjusted the rear end on my car, which ever side needed adjustment, I slckened off only that side from the diff and pushed in a shim with a slit in it then tightened it back up for a quick check. Once all the tools you need are to hand it doesn't take that long. Any adjustment to lower wishbone, alters camber though as the hub carrier pivots from this point. Pictures look good!

Mick H

Hi Mick,

I don't think you can access the bolts as the grease tube is in the way and they have been lock wired!

slogger
23-01-11, 07:30 PM
Hi Mick,

I don't think you can access the bolts as the grease tube is in the way and they have been lock wired!

Looking good Clarkson m8. One hell of a lot of work because of an embarrassing hole in the wing!;):p

Love the motor BTW.:cool:

Clarkson
23-01-11, 07:40 PM
One hell of a lot of work because of an embarrassing hole in the wing!;):p

Errr Yes!:eek::oops:

Steve
24-01-11, 12:19 AM
what hole???

V8 BJC
24-01-11, 06:39 PM
Rear wing. Was for a radio ariel many years ago.

Clarkson
09-02-11, 10:29 PM
Well excited today, finally got my new my new motor built and run in today on the dyno after 2 years!!

We started a base line fig with a carb fitted to test 2 cams I bought for testing on this motor before fitting efi throttle bodies.

Engine made first pull with no setup With a wild mech roller fitted it made 511hp at 6,300/6,500 rpm and 491tq at 5,200rpm:eek::oops:

Going to fit a milder solid roller tomorrow with 10 degrees less timing at .50.

I'll post up dyno sheets when I'm back at home.

Further Results will follow.....

slogger
10-02-11, 05:17 PM
Well excited today, finally got my new my new motor built and run in today on the dyno after 2 years!!

We started a base line fig with a carb fitted to test 2 cams I bought for testing on this motor before fitting efi throttle bodies.

Engine made first pull with no setup With a wild mech roller fitted it made 511hp at 6,300/6,500 rpm and 491tq at 5,200rpm:eek::oops:

Going to fit a milder solid roller tomorrow with 10 degrees less timing at .50.

I'll post up dyno sheets when I'm back at home.

Further Results will follow.....

Nice one! :cool:

Clarkson
11-02-11, 11:02 PM
first cam tested solid roller 249/249 on 108 with a jic jnr intake and 750 speed demon carb

Clarkson
11-02-11, 11:05 PM
ignore this post wrong sheet, this one was V8 BJC motor!

Clarkson
11-02-11, 11:14 PM
Then changed the cam to a milder solid roller 238/244 on 112 with no other changes.

EFI to be mapped next month, expect another 25hp/tq.

Clarkson
12-02-11, 06:11 PM
short video clip.

http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc482/skyrocket38/?action=view&current=cobrarebuildpics060.mp4

JR
13-02-11, 02:37 PM
david,

Will all that engine fit under the bonnet?
Looks like you may need a periscope to see where you're going!
Well done for taking the plunge with a complete re-build.
Jr

Clarkson
13-02-11, 02:50 PM
david,

Will all that engine fit under the bonnet?
Looks like you may need a periscope to see where you're going!
Well done for taking the plunge with a complete re-build.
Jr

Hello JR,

Not under an SR bonnet thats for sure, will fit ok under a dax scoop, but i'm gonna have a custom ally scoop made for it.

nealgs
27-05-11, 11:42 AM
only just seen this reply for some reason - will be interested in the Scoop design when complete Dave :cool::p.

also, any more pictures/updates for us SR fan :)

regards
Gary

Clarkson
29-05-11, 04:47 PM
only just seen this reply for some reason - will be interested in the Scoop design when complete Dave :cool::p.

also, any more pictures/updates for us SR fan :)

regards
Gary

Hi Gary,

Engine is fully complete now and fitted to my rolling chassis.

Need to make up a steering coloum linkage, once I've done that,I can get the body back on!

Update with pics soon.

nealgs
29-05-11, 05:31 PM
cool - look forward to seeing them and the ongoing progress :)

Gary

Clarkson
04-06-11, 11:48 AM

Engine fresh of the dyno, check out last dyno sheet to see the difference between carb and IR efi:oops:

Clarkson
04-06-11, 11:52 AM

2 Years later it's finally back in the car.

Clarkson
04-06-11, 12:00 PM

Need to makeup a steering shaft from coloumn to steering rack

Mock up fitting of the racing battery and heater box

Clarkson
04-06-11, 12:08 PM

Got the body back from storage, many thanks Craig!!

Started prepping the inner wings, filled up the holes,some filler primmer and a coat of satin black

kdavies3
04-06-11, 12:14 PM
So is the expense of putting on the TWM system worth it for 10 or 11 hp? If I read the sheets correctly.
It's worth it for the looks for sure. :D
If funding allows I might just do it on the big block. :D

Clarkson
04-06-11, 12:17 PM

Few random pics,

Engine levelled in chassis

2nd pic of the rear axle after messing about with camber and toe shims

Mocking up o/s header for steering shaft, is this a problem for me as only the US sells the UJ's and splined shaft, need to make up a centre support, need help NOW!!

Clarkson
04-06-11, 12:19 PM
So is the expense of putting on the TWM system worth it for 10 or 11 hp? If I read the sheets correctly.
It's worth it for the looks for sure. :D
If funding allows I might just do it on the big block. :D

At the top of the rpm scale yes, but made a massive 100ftlb lower down, at the top it equaled a carb

dolphinboy400
04-06-11, 03:16 PM
forgive me for being dumb , but wouldnt you want max HP/torque to come in mid range ( 3-4k ) , from your dyno sheets your making max HP at max revs. Unless you can rev your motor to 8k :D

Clarkson
04-06-11, 03:35 PM
forgive me for being dumb , but wouldnt you want max HP/torque to come in mid range ( 3-4k ) , from your dyno sheets your making max HP at max revs. Unless you can rev your motor to 8k :D

Yes if you want a nice shopping engine.

Peaked at 4.5k and It's got a girlie cam fitted.

Purple AK
04-06-11, 03:53 PM

Few random pics,

Engine levelled in chassis

2nd pic of the rear axle after messing about with camber and toe shims

Mocking up o/s header for steering shaft, is this a problem for me as only the US sells the UJ's and splined shaft, need to make up a centre support, need help NOW!!
Huh!! CBS do splined shaft to any length you want, and some very nifty forged u/j's!

Clarkson
04-06-11, 04:00 PM
Huh!! CBS do splined shaft to any length you want, and some very nifty forged u/j's!

Oh ok, tell me more. Got any contact details? Cheers

Only place I know that fits my needs is Borgeson Universal Steering Components (http://www.borgeson.com/)

Purple AK
04-06-11, 04:44 PM
Here you go, and fairly local. I'm 99 percent sure they make splined shafts to length as well. Give then a bell?
CHROME STEEL CYLINDRICAL UNIVERSAL JOINT - UJCHR (http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/CHROME_STEEL_CYLINDRICAL_UNIVERSAL_JOINT_UJCHR)

Clarkson
04-06-11, 06:30 PM
Here you go, and fairly local. I'm 99 percent sure they make splined shafts to length as well. Give then a bell?
CHROME STEEL CYLINDRICAL UNIVERSAL JOINT - UJCHR (http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/CHROME_STEEL_CYLINDRICAL_UNIVERSAL_JOINT_UJCHR)

Thanks, Oh yeah got one of there mags from stoneleigh.

The biggest problem I've got is getting a UJ to fit the Mondeo steering rack. The UJ is I believe apart of the Mondeo steering column. I then have to make a support for the 3rd UJ.

After I've done that I can get the body on, till the above is done I can't go any further!:cry:

Steve
04-06-11, 08:28 PM
GD just use a rose joint at one end of the steering shaft, bolted to the chassis. the steering on every LS is like tat, as the water pump take off to the heater is in direct line with the steering shaft. // see no reason a similair method wont work for you.

Steve
04-06-11, 08:31 PM
The biggest problem I've got is getting a UJ to fit the Mondeo steering rack. The UJ is I believe apart of the Mondeo steering column. I then have to make a support for the 3rd UJ.
:cry:

just cut one off the mondeo shaft, and gat a suitably competent welder toweld it ontp the shaft......do you have any pics?.....i cant really see what is difficult

Steve
04-06-11, 08:52 PM
GD just use a rose joint at one end of the steering shaft, bolted to the chassis. the steering on every LS is like tat, as the water pump take off to the heater is in direct line with the steering shaft. // see no reason a similair method wont work for you.

poor photo, but this shows the arrangement

Clarkson
04-06-11, 10:00 PM
Thanks steve.

srv8dave
05-06-11, 08:03 PM
Hi Dave,
I've almost got the same set up as you, but with a manual sierra rack.
I got my steering column extended by a local engineering firm so it mounts on the same points on the chassis but the outer tube is also lengthened to hold the nose bearing at the very end to prevent any play.
I cut the old intermediate shaft, joining it to a piece of 17mm hex bar which goes onto a fiesta/escort knuckle joint to the rack. I turned both parts of the shaft down on a lathe, one female and the other half male for an accurate centre with a chamfer on the mating faces to aid weld penetration. When welded this was further sleeved and welded at both ends.
I now have no bump steer and using rose joints for track rod ends, no play at all.
A lot of effort but worth it, it cost about 80 quid for the column extension, the firm who did it used to extend columns if you wished to get huge wheels and suspension on a Hilux.
Can't help with phots yet as I'm away with work, but I'll try next week if you like.
Dave.

Clarkson
05-06-11, 08:55 PM
Hi Dave,
I've almost got the same set up as you, but with a manual sierra rack.
I got my steering column extended by a local engineering firm so it mounts on the same points on the chassis but the outer tube is also lengthened to hold the nose bearing at the very end to prevent any play.
I cut the old intermediate shaft, joining it to a piece of 17mm hex bar which goes onto a fiesta/escort knuckle joint to the rack. I turned both parts of the shaft down on a lathe, one female and the other half male for an accurate centre with a chamfer on the mating faces to aid weld penetration. When welded this was further sleeved and welded at both ends.
I now have no bump steer and using rose joints for track rod ends, no play at all.
A lot of effort but worth it, it cost about 80 quid for the column extension, the firm who did it used to extend columns if you wished to get huge wheels and suspension on a Hilux.
Can't help with phots yet as I'm away with work, but I'll try next week if you like.
Dave.

Hello Dave,

Thanks for that. I think I spoke to you on the phone last year about this? Think you said youve got a spare bonnet? May need that.

Post up your Pics whenever you can.

Can the guy still extend columns?

Thanks

srv8dave
05-06-11, 10:28 PM
Hello Dave,
Found the address & phone number:

Astar Fabrication Ltd
3 Darklake View
Plymouth
Devon PL6 7TL
01752 696434

It's worth sending him a drawing with exactly what you need.
Still got the bonnet, not a clue on how I'd post it though!
I'll see if I can sort out some helpful phots next week.
Dave.

Clarkson
07-06-11, 10:11 PM
Thanks Dave very helpful.

srv8dave
11-06-11, 06:48 PM
Hi David,
Trying to put pics up but the option asks for a http address, all I want to do is attach some from my pictures on the computer. Am I being a duffer?
Cheers.

craggle
11-06-11, 07:48 PM
Press the reply button then press the go advanced button.

The option to manage attachments is just below the reply window.

Craig.

srv8dave
11-06-11, 10:58 PM
Right then!
Cheers Craig, another Mr Betamax moment sorted:lol:

Clarkson
12-06-11, 11:01 AM
Wow you really extended that column. Think I'll go for a centre support either up from the chassis or off the side of the inner wing.

I was at my local breakers yard yesterday, plenty of Mondeos in there, so I'll be back next week with some tools.

Thanks for the pics Dave.

Clarkson
08-10-11, 08:10 PM
Update

Body is back on the chassis and sitting nice and straight, infact it's about 90% done now, will update with some pics next week. Going to fit the wiring loom tomorrow.

Really need it painted and trimed now, but out of funds now, so it's going to look like a rat rod for a year, need to drive it again.

slogger
08-10-11, 08:28 PM
Update

Body is back on the chassis and sitting nice and straight, infact it's about 90% done now, will update with some pics next week. Going to fit the wiring loom tomorrow.

Really need it painted and trimed now, but out of funds now, so it's going to look like a rat rod for a year, need to drive it again.

Well done that man! Rolled mine out today........oooooooooo..............Trial fit of seats to see if they still fit after tunnel mods. All ok.
Don't know how big the spiders are in the garage, but you would have thought a flock of birds had crapped on it!!!

Clarkson
08-10-11, 08:31 PM
Well done that man! Rolled mine out today........oooooooooo..............Trial fit of seats to see if they still fit after tunnel mods. All ok.
Don't know how big the spiders are in the garage, but you would have thought a flock of birds had crapped on it!!!

Time we all need to see yours on the road!!

How much more work have you got?

slogger
08-10-11, 08:37 PM
Not happening I'm afraid! Have the time but work have had us over and Cob money has gone. Got to wait a couple of months to see what happens, but can see me moving on which will result in not having the time for the thing................Looks like it will be on it's way to a new owner!! Shame.

Clarkson
16-10-11, 08:13 PM

2 weeks ago fitted body to chassis and aligned it correctly this time!

Have to say big thanks to Craig and his folks for storing the body for me.

Clarkson
16-10-11, 08:21 PM
fitted a brasscraft cap and dax recess, not for the faint hearted. Thanks Brian for getting me started.19764197651976619767

Fitted a custom made 18 gallon fuel tank with a built in swirl pot. Used a bosch 044 fuel pump with braided fuel lines through out.

Clarkson
16-10-11, 08:28 PM
OMG the bonnet fits, must only have 1inch between the ram pipes and bonnet scoop19768

Clarkson
16-10-11, 08:35 PM
19769197701977119772Glad the soft top still fits after the windsceen has been moved over to the left about 20mm

Side pipes, doors and finish wiring, then I can can start it, can't wait!!:D

craggle
16-10-11, 09:20 PM
Looking good David, Have you tried the steering column yet?

Craig.

Clarkson
16-10-11, 09:39 PM
Looking good David, Have you tried the steering column yet?

Craig.

Yes mate, fits perfectly!!

dolphinboy400
16-10-11, 09:44 PM
looking good David :D

Clarkson
07-04-12, 09:55 PM
Woohoo, after 4 years the engine starts again!!

388ci first start up - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7byo9L4-Ts&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

bloke from stoke
07-04-12, 10:09 PM
Nice one:cool:

Kind regards Lester

Purple AK
07-04-12, 10:15 PM
Sounds really sweat Dave. I'll leave the lack of carbs and breeding to Wilf! ;)

Clarkson
07-04-12, 10:20 PM
Cheers, don't worry it still smells like running on a carb!

wilf
08-04-12, 06:51 AM
That's all right then.

But it's still got the distributor at the wrong end..........

Clarkson
08-04-12, 09:43 AM
That's all right then.

But it's still got the distributor at the wrong end..........

No distributor fitted on this engine wilf.

Clarkson
08-04-12, 09:47 AM
Idling rather smoothly for a mechanical roller cam.

388ci with emerald ecu - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxYtlZKuQyQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

nealgs
08-04-12, 12:50 PM
Bloomin great work David :)

Looking forward to seeing here finally back on the road.

Gary

Lloyd Barnes
08-04-12, 01:32 PM
sounding good. Will you be back on the road in time for summer?

Clarkson
08-04-12, 03:38 PM
sounding good. Will you be back on the road in time for summer?

I meant to be going to Le Mans classic, but I don't think i'll get it done on time, if not i'll be back on the road shorty afterwards.

GARY
08-04-12, 06:39 PM
Sounds and looks sweet...very nice.

V8 BJC
09-04-12, 12:33 PM
Well done Dave. Really is looking and sounding good now. Be good to see you back on the road.

cobrascim
09-04-12, 10:12 PM
Now that's the mutts nuts!!!! Keep my fingers crossed you get it to the classic so I can get a closer look.
John.

Clarkson
02-06-12, 10:06 PM
Must say thanks to BJC today for fitting my quicklifts that I bought 4 years ago,7hrs later she is starting to look great now.

kdavies3
02-06-12, 10:10 PM
Your roll bar looks high from that angle Dave.
Maybe it's an optical illusion?

V8 BJC
02-06-12, 10:11 PM
Still think you have them on the wrong way round. Lol

kdavies3
02-06-12, 10:15 PM
I agree wrong way round.
I think you have the left on the right etc.

Clarkson
02-06-12, 10:16 PM
I'm fitting a single roll hoop with the 3rd leg inside the cockpit. Have to say bit thanks to AK cars for custom hoop.

Just need it Tig welding.227902279122792

Clarkson
02-06-12, 10:22 PM
Your roll bar looks high from that angle Dave.
Maybe it's an optical illusion?

Yes Kev, not yet cut the legs down yet, that's tomorrows job.

slogger
02-06-12, 10:33 PM
Looking good Dave. Nearly there I see. :D

slogger
02-06-12, 10:36 PM
I agree wrong way round.
I think you have the left on the right etc.

Take your pick which way round the quick lifts go!! See here: Shelby 427 Cobra, 1965 Original Competition Cars - cool cars, hot cars, fast cars - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3QxMKbN3js)

Clarkson
02-06-12, 10:40 PM
Still think you have them on the wrong way round. Lol

Helen thinks yours is the wrong way round, at least mine are straight.:rolleyes:

Neil O
03-06-12, 05:44 AM
Ahh the great "Innie and Outie" debate again....

Clarkson
03-06-12, 04:34 PM
Ahh the great "Innie and Outie" debate again....

Kirkham Cobra 504 At Idle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkAZhtM_qvw&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

I rest my case. Lol

slogger
03-06-12, 08:31 PM
Kirkham Cobra 504 At Idle - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkAZhtM_qvw&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

I rest my case. Lol

Take a look at Post #135 and make a decision.

V8 BJC
04-06-12, 09:13 AM
Helen thinks yours is the wrong way round, at least mine are straight.:rolleyes:

I know, I spent 7 hours (one of them in the rain!) making sure they were straight.

When did you start listening to Helen? I seem to have missed that report on Sky News :confused:

GARY
04-06-12, 10:26 AM
Hi all,
i`m sure i got mine right when i fitted them a couple of years back, same as the Kirkam`s, just check the pic on my avatar or photo album,
Gary.

Clarkson
07-06-12, 08:41 PM
Got a few hrs in the garage this weekend before the rain started, so I fitted my new roll hoop without fecking it up this time! I've mocked up the 3rd leg to see how she fits, really pleased with it and looks great with my new look of the car, just needs welding up now.

Clarkson
07-06-12, 08:52 PM
Changed my seat belt mounting points, they used to drop down behind the rear seat and bolt to the rear chassis floor, not a great idea.

I use 3mm box steel tube between the roll hoops and bolted up with m12 bolts

Clarkson
07-06-12, 09:09 PM
Once i've fitted the seats, I will be ready for a suspension setup on our 4 wheel aligment at work, then MOT/TAX/INS.

slogger
07-06-12, 10:50 PM
Well done that man!!

craggle
08-06-12, 07:11 AM
Hi David

I did get your text about welding the roll bar.
To be honest, for something so visible as the roll bar mounting I'd be reluctant to weld it myself. I'm sure I could stick it together but that needs a really nice, smooth and consistent weld to look good and my TIG skills are not quite there yet. I can't guarantee I'd achieve a good finish so reluctant to try.

Craig.

V8 BJC
08-06-12, 11:55 AM
Broom Broom !!!!

When you ready to roll, Ill come round and we can treat our Austrian shot-putter friend to a nice V8 duet

steve_h
08-06-12, 03:25 PM
Well done Dave

Leave the extra arm for the tow bar for now...........................................and get it on the ferry for LeMans!

tonym
08-06-12, 03:54 PM
Got a few hrs in the garage this weekend before the rain started, so I fitted my new roll hoop without fecking it up this time! I've mocked up the 3rd leg to see how she fits, really pleased with it and looks great with my new look of the car, just needs welding up now.

Dave, my mate Sarge has the exact same roll bar in his AK and I absolutely fu***ng hate it although he loves it. It really gets in the way of so many things for both the driver and passenger. Have you sat in both seats with it in place yet to see how it feels? Just saying so you can check before you get it welded.

Clarkson
08-06-12, 04:42 PM
Dave, my mate Sarge has the exact same roll bar in his AK and I absolutely fu***ng hate it although he loves it. It really gets in the way of so many things for both the driver and passenger. Have you sat in both seats with it in place yet to see how it feels? Just saying so you can check before you get it welded.

Hi tony, yes sat in both seats and it's ok, does not get in the way of gear changing either, guess its something that you'll get used to.

Purple AK
08-06-12, 05:50 PM
Dave, my mate Sarge has the exact same roll bar in his AK and I absolutely fu***ng hate it although he loves it. It really gets in the way of so many things for both the driver and passenger. Have you sat in both seats with it in place yet to see how it feels? Just saying so you can check before you get it welded.Erm. How can I put this Tone? :roll:

Nah.......... I'll leave it to someone else braver than me :D

Clarkson
09-06-12, 08:17 AM
Erm. How can I put this Tone? :roll:

Nah.......... I'll leave it to someone else braver than me :D

Not like you to be shy, say what you feel?!