PDA

View Full Version : Should we change the forum completely....

robert
30-03-04, 11:32 AM
Guys and Girls, I have been considering changing the forum for a while to a different system probably vbulletin or similar. I have held off as there were no import functions , but these are available now. The options are stay with this forum system or change to something different. We would lose the threaded views, everything would be in linear format.

Dutch Paul
30-03-04, 11:38 AM
You can change it for me - I don`t mind either way.

A word of warning Robert - Watch out for the "I just got used to this one :( :( :( " complaints {-} {-} {-}

MetaJacko
30-03-04, 12:01 PM
Hi Robert,

What advantages does the new method give? Is it easier to read a thread, maintain etc?

Also "I just got used to this one" {-}
(I'm Joking! If it makes it easier for maintainance etc then go for it)

Paul

robert
30-03-04, 12:22 PM
>A word of warning Robert - Watch out for the "I just got used
>to this one :( :( :( " complaints {-} {-} {-}

Hmm, yes I am waiting for that. :} :}

robert
30-03-04, 12:24 PM
Vbulletin is more mainstream, therefore there are added integration options avalable to me, and subsequently you lot.

MetaJacko
30-03-04, 01:12 PM
Any sites that you know of that are currently using it?

We could all go and gate crash and see what its like! {-}

Paul

MetaJacko
30-03-04, 01:16 PM
BTW Robert,
Why is it listing you as only being a member for 1 day??!!

(I mean Wow! over 5000 posts in 1 day!! }( )

Paul

robert
30-03-04, 01:20 PM
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

MetaJacko
30-03-04, 01:39 PM
Looks good! :D

I must admit, I do prefer a linier method but I guess thats down to personel preference.

I guess that the colours etc are customisable?

Paul

nikbj68
30-03-04, 04:04 PM
I am on a couple of vb forums, so personally lean towards them...I find following posts in posted order a bit clumsy on this layout, but it doesn`t make much difference...It`s the nice people & quality posts that count.(where`s a vomiticon when you need one?!?! :9 :tu )

robert
30-03-04, 05:11 PM
VB 3 now has the option of threaded, so no probelm there, it is just there are a wide range of additional modules we can bolt on.

Dutch Paul
30-03-04, 05:23 PM
> there are a wide range of additional modules we can bolt on

What`s a mofule???
Is that computer jargon? {-}
Do you have to bolt them on - can`t you use self-tappers or rivets? :}

pugwash
30-03-04, 06:02 PM
well vb is very nice.. shiny.............shiny.................lots of lovely buttons................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............ doughnuts

(sorry turned a bit homer there- but do like VB- very professional- just like all of us :P )

Jim

robert
30-03-04, 06:03 PM
>> there are a wide range of additional modules we can bolt
>on
>
>What`s a mofule???
>Is that computer jargon? {-}
>Do you have to bolt them on - can`t you use self-tappers or
>rivets? :}

Mofules, don't know what you are talking about, i said modules.... after an edit. }( }( }(

nikbj68
30-03-04, 06:03 PM
I need a mofule coz my tanka is a gettin` empty.
{-} {-}

p.s. edits is cheatin`, Rob!:D

Dutch Paul
30-03-04, 06:56 PM
< i said modules.... after an edit.

:tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

Rodders
30-03-04, 07:03 PM
I haven't got a clue what you lot are on about so if you change it you my never hear from me again ( that would be one benefit) thought I would say it befor someone else did :D

nikbj68
30-03-04, 07:55 PM
Basically, it would mean that this forum would look more like the American 'ClubCobra' one, here: http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/index.php?s=

chesterak
30-03-04, 08:57 PM
Change for change sake??? Advantages/disadvantages with the suggested system? IT plebs like me need things simple. BTW, like the Dinosaurs!
Stan
:tu

Miket
30-03-04, 09:23 PM
Robert

If its as quick to load as the link you posted and the American Cobra site, I would definitely vote for a change ASAP.

How about tomorrow {-} {-} {-} {-}

robert
30-03-04, 09:23 PM
http://www.cobraclub.com/crcforum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=32436&mesg_id=32436&listing_type=read_new#32459

Miket
30-03-04, 09:26 PM
Bye Rodders, nice to have known you :7 :7 :7

euro_427
30-03-04, 10:25 PM
Go for it Robert :tu
Might be functional by Rockingham..
I notice from their site that there are a few teething problems encountered by administrators. :}
I hope you're lucky !! :tu
However, that said, I like the layout of Vb - but hope you could choose a better set of colours...
Fingers crossed ready for the changeover.
Good Luck
:tu :tu

Dutch Paul
31-03-04, 03:12 PM
< Bye Rodders, nice to have known you

Who`s Rodders??????? {-} {-} {-} {-} {-}

Rodders
31-03-04, 05:21 PM
HEARTLESS BUNCH x(

milner
31-03-04, 06:49 PM
Ultimately upto those who put the effort in to maintain the site. Thanks where it's due, without the site, I'd have possibly given up by now.

But, yes, i'm also from the just got used to it brigade.

I'd hope with any new system all the old postings would still be visable , if so, i suppose we could all pick it up as we go.

Jon

robert
31-03-04, 06:52 PM
>I'd hope with any new system all the old postings would still
>be visable , if so, i suppose we could all pick it up as we
>go.
>
>Jon

My main consideration for this is not to lose any posts. If we can't import the existing posts, we won't move. :tu :tu :tu

BILKO
31-03-04, 07:00 PM
Hi
suppose you could call it the v8bullitin, anything with a v8 in it sounds good especialy with side pipes. The new style definitly looks better.

Bilko

r0lex
02-04-04, 07:11 AM
v bulletin is the best software for forums and will make you life a lot easier robert, I am sure you wont but if you need help with v bulletin i can get my web master to sort stuff. he is wikid with that forum.

Paul

Trigger
02-04-04, 09:05 AM
I just didn't get used to this format yet! Looked at the Clubcobra site again and it looks ok so why not go that way? May give this site a boost. I see the front page of our site has reverted to topics in the middle instead of the side. That's good. Do we get a posting count if we vote? If no, I'll abstain! If we do I'll vote Yes. :P

nikbj68
02-04-04, 09:09 AM
post count whore! {-} :-;

robert
02-04-04, 09:44 AM
>v bulletin is the best software for forums and will make you
>life a lot easier robert, I am sure you wont but if you need
>help with v bulletin i can get my web master to sort stuff. he
>is wikid with that forum.
>
>Paul

Paul

Can your guy do custom templates for Vb3, if so, let me know. :tu :tu :tu

r0lex
02-04-04, 12:51 PM
yes
email dave@fdhost.co.uk thats his email addy and he knows about it cause i told him

Paul

gareth08
02-04-04, 09:19 PM
If its easier to maintain then change it.I expect well all get used to it in the end.
Gareth

James
03-04-04, 01:12 PM
Hi

Checked it out and the new format of V Bulletin looks good and assume is more interactive

Cheers

James
:tu

route66
12-04-04, 09:47 AM
In a word, Yes.
I've always thought this forum difficult to navigate and not very intuitive (not the people on it :) )

We use a number of other forums, a particularly good format is that used on a Le Mans forum http://www.clubarnage.com/yabbse/index.php

This uses YaBB SE which looks similar to VBulletin.

Eileen & Steve
East Anglian Regional rep.

robert
12-04-04, 02:41 PM
>In a word, Yes.
>I've always thought this forum difficult to navigate and not
>very intuitive (not the people on it :) )

Its all coming out of the woodwork now. :P :P :P :P