PDA

View Full Version : Fitting body before starting engine

Les
18-05-10, 09:51 PM
Hi all

Has anyone fitted the body on their Sumo before starting the engine for the first time? I know it would be easier with the body off but i have been waiting for my exhaust to come from Gary at sidepipes for ages now and was wondering if anyone had had any problems fitting the body first or should i wait until i get the headers? (could be a while yet!!)

Les

robcob
19-05-10, 07:14 AM
Hi all

Has anyone fitted the body on their Sumo before starting the engine for the first time? I know it would be easier with the body off but i have been waiting for my exhaust to come from Gary at sidepipes for ages now and was wondering if anyone had had any problems fitting the body first or should i wait until i get the headers? (could be a while yet!!)

Les
Hi les,
no problem starting the engine with the body on just make sure you have the temp and oil gauges wired up and the neighbours are out,btw i am still waiting for my exhaust off gary promised 4 weeks now into 12 weeks.
rob

Big Thirsty
19-05-10, 11:42 AM
Hi all

Les

Les, you have a pm.

jonny m
19-05-10, 12:00 PM
Just my personal thought, but wait. I ordered the body too early and needed to fit due to space shortage, but not only made the job harder, but longer too.

Simple little jobs took so much time to get to and work around; I'd resist temptation and get yours rolling as much as possible first.

Jon

GrahamSh
19-05-10, 05:56 PM
I'm in almost the same position - pretty much finished the rolling chassis - just wheels and exhaust to go before I order and fit the body.

Am thinking of ordering exhaust from Gary - been exchanging emails on specification - he is quoting 5 weeks waiting list and a week and a half to make / fit - is this going to be realistic from what you guys are saying - are they any good alternatives for underslung exhausts?

Les
19-05-10, 07:43 PM
I ordered my exhaust off Gary in Jan and am still waiting :(
I have ordered sidepipes maybe underslungs are quicker to make!

Les

robcob
19-05-10, 08:27 PM
I ordered my exhaust off Gary in Jan and am still waiting :(
I have ordered sidepipes maybe underslungs are quicker to make!

Les
No there not :rolleyes: .
rob

Steve
20-05-10, 02:48 PM
forgot when i ordered, he said 6 weeks, i (must have been 8 weeks ago.)

when i asked last week, he said.......6 weeks

lovely chap, good work, but ignore the dates he gives

Paul B
20-05-10, 04:24 PM
Les,

Will you be running a newly rebuilt engine ? If so then you really need your exhausts to be able to run for 20 minutes breaking in your cam. However, if it is not, then just start it up without the pipes, just to know it runs !!

Once done you will keep finding excuses just to spin it up again...... just to check something :)

Paul