PDA

View Full Version : Chevrolet Camaro 5.0L engine

Adam001
19-05-10, 06:27 PM
Hey,

I have stumbled across a friend who knows someone with a third generation 1989 Chevrolet Camaro 5.0L which has been sitting with a problem for around 2 years, this is all I know at this stage.

From my limited knowledge this leads me to assume that it is a 305CI small block V8 most likely LO3.

I intend to go see the car soon, but the guy apparently does not want much for it...so 2 questions.

Is this a viable engine option for a RAM? simple to tune and would I be able to use the camaro gearbox?

What would be a fair price for a non-running camaro?

Cheers
Adam

Adrian427
19-05-10, 07:50 PM
It most likely a Automatic gearbox , you can buy these engines for around 300-500 quid anyway. Id offer him 200 quid and strip the engine out, then weigh rest in for scrap circa 150+/- ton

Adam001
20-05-10, 09:39 AM
So if I could get it cheap it's worth pursueing?

Is 250/300 bhp a reasonable figure from these engines?

What bellhousing/gearbox combo do I need to hunt down?

Thanks
Adam

Lloyd Barnes
20-05-10, 12:40 PM
What would be a fair price for a non-running camaro?

Cheers
Adam

depends to a great extent on why its not running. If its because the engine is seized/has thrown a rod through the block then its not much use to you?

Adam001
20-05-10, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I intend to go along and jump the battery and see if I can get the car to turn over to hear the engine rotate, If I can't then I'll walk away and get myself a 351 instead.

l'spa ram driver
23-05-10, 12:36 AM
Why not buy a brand new Goodwrench engine wot works (real steel 1500 quid)and will fit easily in the Ram - best to fit macleod pressed steel bellhousing and a manual box, easier to sort than stripping a whole car!

Lloyd Barnes
23-05-10, 11:16 AM
Why not buy a brand new Goodwrench engine wot works (real steel 1500 quid)and will fit easily in the Ram - best to fit macleod pressed steel bellhousing and a manual box, easier to sort than stripping a whole car!

Adam's car still has to go through its IVA so unless he's happy to fit cats/chase the lower emissions levels needed, then this isn't an option.

Adam001
01-07-10, 07:49 PM
Sorry, to update, Car was a dead end, lower power 170 unit and couldn't start it, fuel pump was dead and he didn't want to sell cheap

As far as I am aware I still want to be hunting a pre-92 engine for the emissions side of things

At the moment I do like the idea of the Ford Cleveland :)

Adam

Lloyd Barnes
02-07-10, 08:25 AM
Sorry, to update, Car was a dead end, lower power 170 unit and couldn't start it, fuel pump was dead and he didn't want to sell cheap

As far as I am aware I still want to be hunting a pre-92 engine for the emissions side of things

Adam

Try adricar2 on here. He sells cutout engines. I know he has Windsors, not sure about Clevelands. Correct on the pre 92 bit. Check the casting code on the block before you buy any engine to make sure.

andicole0
02-07-10, 08:41 AM

Adam

Hi Adam,

I have a 350 Chevy that might suit. It can be traced to an '86 truck and has passed SVA under the 4.5%. However it is in bits and was only running on 7 when removed from my car by 7-Indulgence. I believe that all it needs is a bit of TLC and some internal cleaning. There's pretty much everything with it including inlet and carb.

Andi.

JimmyJazz
02-07-10, 10:33 AM
I was down at LSV8 Power (formely Rapid GB) yesterday and he had 302 (I think) fully built with all the bits for sale. Mark 01234 881135

Adam001
02-07-10, 09:42 PM
Thank you for the replies, I have chased around, see what comes up :)

Adam