PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Driveshaft

Phil Peatfield
14-06-10, 06:46 AM
I'm looking for some advice about how to split the outer CV joint from the driveshaft.

I have the push fit type of Sierra driveshaft and have somehow managed to damage the threads at the end of the axle (outer CV). I've removed the gaiter, expecting to see a circlip to fasilitate removal ..... but no .... all I can see is a plastic dome shaped plate.

I'm not sure what diff I have, I think it's limited slip but can't be sure. I'm told that this type of push fit drive shaft is fitted to all sierra's with drum brakes.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Phil

cperry
14-06-10, 08:57 AM
Hi there, can't help with your specific question (sorry). But I don't think LSD's had the push fit drive shafts.

stevee8
14-06-10, 10:13 AM
You can check if you have a LSD by rotating one of the wheel drive flanges - if the other one rotates in the same direction you have a LSD.
On the driveshaft, if there is only relatively minor thread damage (ie the CV joint is OK) can you not use a triangular file to tidy up the threads? That would be easier than stripping the driveshaft.
If you are forced to strip it, I can forward the procedure with diagrams - let me know.

Bernie
14-06-10, 10:21 AM
When I broke off the key in the lock on the Sierra steering column, I had no choice but to buy another. It was delivered from a scrapyard I know not where and didn't cost much. Maybe this might be a more straightforward route for you.

B

Phil Peatfield
14-06-10, 12:29 PM
Hi Steve,

Unfortunately the threads are beyond repair, not why but the new nut supplied with new bearing kit picked up and destroyed the threads.

I can get a second hand complete shaft but can't be sure about internal condition, so would prefer to go down the route of replacing the CV complete with axle. Therfore I would very much appreciate you sending me the proceedure & diagrams.

Cheers
Phil

Gonch
14-06-10, 12:50 PM
I think the older Fords used a 'snap-ring' to hold drive shafts to C.V.s. These are meant to be replaced every time the shaft is removed and re-fitted. Itís basically a circlip with no ears on it. It sits in a recess in the shaft, and when the shaft is engaged into the C.V. the outer part engages in a recess in the C.V. Itís just a case of pulling them apart with a shock/jerk.

Phil Peatfield
14-06-10, 08:19 PM
I've attached a couple of photo's if it well help explain why I'm struggling.

kdavies3
14-06-10, 09:32 PM
Like Gonch said I think those are the knock off type.
To release the snap ring sometimes takes quite a thump or two from a lump hammer (using a block of wood or soft drift in between of course).

Gonch
14-06-10, 11:08 PM
I just dug out a Sierra Haynes and it says for your Tripode type driveshafts, you need to hacksaw the case to get to a circlip to get it apart!

Phil Peatfield
15-06-10, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the advice ...... I'll dig out my best hacksaw and get cutting.

Many thanks to all.

Gonch
15-06-10, 07:41 AM
I'll try and post up the chapter this evening

stevee8
16-06-10, 08:39 AM
Hi Steve,

Unfortunately the threads are beyond repair, not why but the new nut supplied with new bearing kit picked up and destroyed the threads.

I can get a second hand complete shaft but can't be sure about internal condition, so would prefer to go down the route of replacing the CV complete with axle. Therfore I would very much appreciate you sending me the proceedure & diagrams.

Cheers
Phil

Info from Haynes manual attached Phil.