PDA

View Full Version : Rover V8 in MK2??

cobra_col
29-06-10, 03:39 PM
All,

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere or if im being daft but i seem to remember reading somewhere that the RV8 will not for in the MK2 Chassis. Is this correct?
The reason i ask is i may of found a part built mk2 that currently has a 2.3v6 fitted but i would want to remove and fit the v8.

Thanks

Col

KevinW
29-06-10, 03:54 PM
anything is possible with determintation. But perhaos ask why the original owner hasnt finished it after all these years.

But,
the difficulty of the task depends on the year of manufacture as the mkII came in at loeast 2 different versions. Talk to Den Tanner at Pilgrim is my advice.

btw A MkII may also have problems [passing IVA. Nothing insurmountab;e, more inconvenience.

btw, the MkII will not allow deep dish wheels to be fitted at the rear.

cobra_col
29-06-10, 04:16 PM
Thanks kevin.

I will give them a call.

He said he bought it as an unfinished project but never found the time. It has all the body pieces unfitted and looks to be a rolling chassis with the v6 in place but not plumbed in.

What problems would i encounter with the IVA?

cheers

stu e
29-06-10, 06:09 PM
Hi
I converted my 2.8 V6 to a Rover V8.
My car is Granada based and so doesn't have the Cortina back axle.
I believe the way the Cortina axle mounts is the weak link, although several people have done it.
We also SVA'd a MKII V6 last year, took two attempts, but looked at the first one to tell us what to put right, so not sure how different the IVA is other than cost.
HTH Stu.

robinj66
29-06-10, 06:26 PM
Me too:D

V6 out and replaced with a RV8. You might have to weld new engine mounts (get a set of the Mk III mounts, cut them down and weld them to the lower chassis rail) then all you need is new headers, a gearbox, new prop, change of coolant hoses and possibly radiator and you're sorted.:shock: :p

cobra_col
29-06-10, 06:48 PM
cheers guys,

I take it the best option is the LT77 box or would i have to get a bellhousing to convert to a ford box?

BrettG
29-06-10, 07:16 PM
I did it too, but wouldnt do it again LOL :D

cobra_col
29-06-10, 08:25 PM
mmmm, maybe a rethink is in order. maybe ill go down the mk3 route!!

AlexB74
29-06-10, 09:11 PM
think the fact that its a 2.3 rather than 2.8 means it'll be cortina bits rather than granada. which might make adding any power an issue..

there is a long thread on here somewhere that details everything that needs to be changed, dials? Fuel pump in boot etc etc.

There are a couple of 2.8 mk2 to granny v6 24v cosworth conversions around (similar block, wider heads so might need a swap to a different master cylinder, needs a better box than the type 9 if thats what your running. Its a lovely engine (very smooth, efficient, reliable 230 bhp - nicer than an rv8??) but was chatting to the chaps at Austec who upgrade a lot of TVR wedges with the cossie lump, and they reckon the cossie bits are starting to get hard to find already (gasket kits etc) so in another 5 years might be problematic..

If it helps Den Tanner has done lots of swaps on mk2 v6's - he reckoned a swap to an rv8 is the best option, he's done lots and lots with all the bits on the shelf already to go (manifolds, prop etc) reckoned c5k, around 3k of which would be the rebuilt 3.5 engine and box.

Alex

MK2, 2.8 looking at an engine swap!

robinj66
29-06-10, 09:43 PM
Alex has a point - you need to check which rear axle you are using. Post up some photos.

A change to the later 2.9 engine (Cosworth or not) will still mean you have to change gearbox, headers, prop et al so not that cheap an option.

You may be better going for a 2.8 which is a straight swap - but rebuilding a V6 is more expensive on parts than rebuilding a RV8.

cobra_col
29-06-10, 10:16 PM
I havent actually bought it yet. I wasnt sure what to do as although there is alot of pieces of the kit there for 2500, i would basically be starting it again. I think in the long run i may be best starting a new kit bought direct from pilgrim rather than trying to bodge up an old one.

Think ill give den a call tomorrow and get a build manual and a price list sent out :p

KevinW
30-06-10, 12:00 AM
new kit will give you less pain and greater resale value. but ofcourse, will cost more.

the v6 engine is prob just junk, so no real resale value for that item.

a used kit of parts will be cheaper, but you would also have to assume you would be stripping everything of and almost starting again. and if its an old kit, then there will be more issues than a new kit.

there are quite a few unfinished projects that come up on ebay so if you want to go that route, just keep an eye out and bid as you see fit.

cobra_col
30-06-10, 07:46 AM
If I bought it and bought a mk3 chassis from den would the body, bumpers and lights etc fit as that would still save me a little bit ?

robinj66
30-06-10, 06:31 PM
The earlier Mk II bodies were shorter by about 2-3 " and will not fit the later (ie, Mk III and some very late Mk II) chassis.

As alluded to in an earlier post, you need to ascertain whether the kit is based on the Cortina rear axle or the Granada II axle - the latter will take more power through it than the former (purely on the way it attached to the chassis). Once that is determined, you will be able to make a better cost/benefit analysis with all the different pemutations available to you.

dinosoar
30-06-10, 06:52 PM
Hi,

I have converted at least two Sumo SEV's (Cortina). Not sure how this chassis fits in with the Mk's but there are a few pointers to consider.

The IVA test will be a major consideration. It makes a lot of sense to convert an already registered car as it can only add value. Starting from scratch would probably negate the exercise compare to a car designed for the setup.

The tube supporting the rad will have to come out and should be replaced with a cross brace diagonally forwards from the suspension turret. A tricky area to weld without a ramp and make sure you get rid of alll that nasty zinc before welding. We have had a sumo with a chevy shoe-horned into one of these and the flex at this area was visible when jacking up and produced a rather interesting set of road manners.

You will need to make up a pair of engine mounts. Fairly easy but again get rid of that pesky zinc. The last car that had been part bodged before it came to me actually had one of the mounts come off with very little persuasion due to bird sh*t welding over galvanising.

It is pretty easy to fabricate a gearbox mount.

Clearance to the servo is marginal and the heater hoses will need a bit of a rework.

There is probably a whole lot more to add but I can't remember any more at present.

Andy