PDA

View Full Version : Space Saver Wheel

Don347
14-07-10, 09:37 PM
Ford have made some 5 stud space saver spare wheels for their various models over the years. Does anyone know if there is one that will fit the Granada 5 stud hub?
TIA
Don

kdavies3
15-07-10, 10:24 AM
Google is your friend here.
Look at wheel suppliers and see what else has the same PCD with 5 studs.

Purple AK
15-07-10, 12:13 PM
The Granada/Scopio is a "oneoff" in the Ford range with 5 x 112mm pcd. Audi, Mercedes or the later VW models are your choices with the VW most likely to yield a space saver.

Mili427
06-08-10, 02:46 PM
I used a 2CV 15" dia wheel with their standard 3 bolt fitting and had made an adaptor plate that fits onto the 5 stud Granada wheel. Have further info if you wish. Alex.

Geezer
06-08-10, 03:11 PM
On this subject... What effect would a space saver have on a LSD?

Example - My Dax runs 235/45 17 F (1962mm Circumference) and
255/45 17 R (2017mm Circumference)

His Toniness loaned me a (Jag?) spacesaver - 115/85 18 (1991mm Circumference)

Obviously these are get you home items for when you are just tooling around on your own and have the space available for a road wheel. My question is if the difference in rolling circumference for the rears is enough to damage the LSD?

Cue Chris...

BLOKE
06-08-10, 05:17 PM
This one has come up so many times in the past, the thing to think of is where do you put the wide wheel you remove, it wont go in the boot, so the only place left is the passengers lap, one owner found this when abroad and jokingly said "what do I do with this throw it over the hedge.
Most of us carry two of the aerosol cans that get you going, and use AA or similar.
Regards Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

Geezer
06-08-10, 05:53 PM
This one has come up so many times in the past, the thing to think of is where do you put the wide wheel you remove, it wont go in the boot, so the only place left is the passengers lap, one owner found this when abroad and jokingly said "what do I do with this throw it over the hedge.
Most of us carry two of the aerosol cans that get you going, and use AA or similar.
Regards Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

As I said, only if you have space available to stow the offending wheel. I too carry aerosols but many tyre repairers aren't interested in repairing a tyre that has been foamed. So, if you are on your own do you really want to scrap a tyre that only has a small puncture?
Appreciate this has been shagged to death but...... what if:confused:

Richo427
06-08-10, 07:34 PM
Audi / VW fit I tried one the other day from a hire car :-)

wilf
06-08-10, 07:38 PM
To answer the question about the effect on an LSD.........

You are talking about 1.4% difference in rotational speeds across the axle.
Dont go far, and don't go fast, and your LD will be fine, 50 miles won't kill it.

Or.....drop the pressure significantly in the "spare" and the rolling radii will even out. Just don't get pulled. ;)

Purple AK
06-08-10, 08:04 PM
To answer the question about the effect on an LSD.........

You are talking about 1.4% difference in rotational speeds across the axle.
Dont go far, and don't go fast, and your LD will be fine, 50 miles won't kill it.

Or.....drop the pressure significantly in the "spare" and the rolling radii will even out. Just don't get pulled. ;)
Why should getting pulled be a worry? Just about every production car sold these days has a "sillyspare"! (at best!) :rolleyes:

Purple AK
06-08-10, 08:07 PM
Audi / VW fit I tried one the other day from a hire car :-)
See post #3 ;)

Geezer
06-08-10, 08:07 PM
Why should getting pulled be a worry? Just about every production car sold these days has a "sillyspare"! (at best!) :rolleyes:

I think Wilf was talking about decreasing the rolling circumference by reducing the pressure in the space-saver 'significantly'. That's probably what was meant... :-D

wilf
06-08-10, 08:36 PM

Because the "spare" will look well underinflated to the puller.....spacesaver spares usually run 60psi or so.

Purple AK
06-08-10, 08:50 PM
In reality we are not talking about a difference worth worrying about. Barely more than the difference between a new and worn tyre ;) Legally it is an MOT failure to have two different tyre sizes on the same axle! But vehicle manufacturers seem to conveniently forget that bit :rolleyes:

Richo427
08-08-10, 08:34 AM
See post #3 ;)

ah missed that ! well done

BLOKE
09-08-10, 11:54 AM
All this wear on the diff. is blown out the window, the L.S.D. can cope with different diameters after all you only travel in a straight line abut 10% of the time.
Frank Dowsett. BLOKE.

Don347
10-08-10, 08:38 PM
Thanks for this info, I'm shortly off to a nearby VW breakers to have a look at the ones they have. If no luck there, I'll come back to you.

slogger
10-08-10, 08:59 PM
As I said, only if you have space available to stow the offending wheel. I too carry aerosols but many tyre repairers aren't interested in repairing a tyre that has been foamed. So, if you are on your own do you really want to scrap a tyre that only has a small puncture?
Appreciate this has been shagged to death but...... what if:confused:

In most cases you would have run the offending tyre flat so it is more or less stuffed anyway. This is quite often the case on wide, not so low profile tyres. I'd stick with the foam.