PDA

View Full Version : Best place for the MSD-6AL in a RAM Cobra?

bahari
19-07-10, 03:27 PM
Hi,

I'm replacing the original GM-Delco Remy HEI distributor w/ vacuum advance by MSD equipment (Pro-Billet distributor, blaster coil, 6AL ignition control).

As the the 6AL box is fairly big (10x20) and needs to be as far as possible from heat but not too far from a direct (+) current source, I wonder if anyone had found the ideal place to fix it under the bonnet?

It seems rather straight forward to install, but if someone ran into issues, please let me know.

Thanks - Gunther

craggle
19-07-10, 03:39 PM
My Accel equivalent unit is mounted inside the car behind the dashboard.

All you need to do is run a few wires through the bulkhead and plug it in. Keeps it cool and out the elements too. It does make a noise though?

Craig.

bahari
19-07-10, 03:48 PM
My Accel equivalent unit is mounted inside the car behind the dashboard.

All you need to do is run a few wires through the bulkhead and plug it in. Keeps it cool and out the elements too. It does make a noise though?

Craig.

Seems to be a good idea, Craig. But does it get hot, doesn't it need any airflow for cooling?

craggle
19-07-10, 04:01 PM
The MSD may well be different but it doesn't seem to generate too much heat and the manual just says keep it away from heat sources if mounted under the bonnet but don't mount it in an enclosed space like a glovebox?

Accel DFI (http://www.accel-dfi.com/ProductDetails.aspx?modelNumber=75606&productID=6264&majID=475&minID=4753&selection=0&minselection=2)

Friend of mine has an MSD 6AL unit mounted in the footwell in his hotrod and that has survived a few years of use so far.

Craig.

RogerKnill
20-07-10, 02:18 PM
Hi

I have it mounted in the engine bay on the passenger footwell plate has been OK for the last 8 yrs or so. I do have undercar exhausts and would not put it there if I had side pipes as the headers would be very close.

cheers

bahari
22-07-10, 07:16 PM
Hi

I have it mounted in the engine bay on the passenger footwell plate has been OK for the last 8 yrs or so. I do have undercar exhausts and would not put it there if I had side pipes as the headers would be very close.

cheers

Finally I've put it behind the dashboard, there was enough space. Thanks to all who gave their advise.

Installation of MSD distributor, coil and 6AL box was incredibly easy and straight forward. They publish many videos and rather good documentation, plus Q&A and forum. The car started right away, but as I had vacuum advance before and the new distributor doesn't, I set the advance low/high at 12/35. The motor is much smoother and the car delivers good torque from 1800 rpm onwards. I bought my stuff at summitracing.com, they are real cheap, fast (delivery 4 days), and nice guys to talk to.

Antony
03-01-11, 04:53 AM
Finally I've put it behind the dashboard, there was enough space. Thanks to all who gave their advise.

Installation of MSD distributor, coil and 6AL box was incredibly easy and straight forward. They publish many videos and rather good documentation, plus Q&A and forum. The car started right away, but as I had vacuum advance before and the new distributor doesn't, I set the advance low/high at 12/35. The motor is much smoother and the car delivers good torque from 1800 rpm onwards. I bought my stuff at summitracing.com, they are real cheap, fast (delivery 4 days), and nice guys to talk to.

I have MSD 6AL and MSD Distributor for my 351w, and like you have I am going to mount it behind glovebox area in my Ram, wondering though as some of the 6AL can cause problems from time to time, is there a way of getting home if it packs up, another 6AL is expensive, some distributors dont need a box but mine aint one of them.

bahari
03-01-11, 06:40 AM
I have MSD 6AL and MSD Distributor for my 351w, and like you have I am going to mount it behind glovebox area in my Ram, wondering though as some of the 6AL can cause problems from time to time, is there a way of getting home if it packs up, another 6AL is expensive, some distributors dont need a box but mine aint one of them.
Hi Antony, did you ever hear of a 6AL that stopped working for no apparent reason, without any prior announcement, like car using power for example? If that happened more or less frequently, it would seriously damage the image of MSD, and I suppose they would have to look into that. Also, if you look at the circuits, they are rather sturdy devices. I would suppose that once properly installed, there must be some external issue (e.g. important short-circuit, loose cable) to damage it. When I installed it, I mixed up connections and it still worked afterward.

Antony
03-01-11, 10:18 AM
bahari,

I reckon you may get prior warning, and anything electrical can pack up, I have heard that MSD is great with repair service if you send a faulty box in they will fix it!
I am not concerned about my MSD packing it in, I have had many years with other cars using 6AL and no problem.

bahari
03-01-11, 10:43 AM
bahari,

I reckon you may get prior warning, and anything electrical can pack up, I have heard that MSD is great with repair service if you send a faulty box in they will fix it!
I am not concerned about my MSD packing it in, I have had many years with other cars using 6AL and no problem.
I wasn't concerned either, Antony, at least before you asked your question. Because you are right, if fancy electronics suddenly fails, at 100 miles from home it can become a costly matter, especially on a long weekend. I carry minimal stuff and tools, but you can't repair a 6AL box on the side of a road.

Would be a good question: what is the minimal/ideal repair kit any Cobra driver should take along?

cobracol
03-01-11, 11:52 AM
Would be a good question: what is the minimal/ideal repair kit any Cobra driver should take along?<Quote>

An AA, RAC, or Green Flag card!, He He takes up very little room and is lightweight

But i normally have belts (fan and steering) lighting and fuse set, jump leads, 12v air pump+ light, bottle of tyre seal, Gaffer tape, a plastic bag,(dont ask!) small set of spanners and two screwdrivers, cuddly toy(not), and some wet/dry wipes, dont under estimate the last one! oh and an old white towel is great for drying if you or your car get wet, for protecting the wing as you lean over, for placing tools on, or use it for lying on as you wait for the AA LOL

Antony
03-01-11, 07:47 PM
BACKUP TOOL KIT
Spare Alternator and water pump drive belts
Module for the MSD distributor. (these are inexpensive)
MSD 6AL.
Spark plug wrench.

I reckon I will get a spare MSD they are USD$197, not that expensive!

queeniee
23-07-11, 08:47 AM
I do not have a MSD oin my RAM but a Mallory Hyfire 6. I change it quite often ( almost one very 6000 miles). It is located in the engine compartment, a bit too hot for it. I installed a loose heat shield, trying not to keep its internal heat trapped into the shield but this had not been sufficient to preserve the module.
I now think about installing a small cooling duct leading outside air towards the Mallory, with the help of a small fan like the ones used for computers. I also thought about using a cooling "Peltier" element but this would draw too much current.
I see no place to locate it in the "driver's compartment" nor under the dashboard. The glove compartment is excluded (and it would be too small)It must be of a quick access so that I can change the rev limiter'settings.
For the moment, my usual option is to carry an extra Mallory box as a spare part but when this ignition box fails during a race (as I experimented 2 weeks ago), the race is lost....

bahari
23-07-11, 09:33 AM
Hi queenie,[/URL]

That sounds like a rather annoying and costly experience, and your solution to cool the Mallory like a real "usine gaz"! It would be much easier to install it behind the dashboard (see photos below). If the Mallory is too big, use the MSD 6AL. To work at ease, you need to take the dashboard off, which is rather straight forward, and drill a hole to the engine compartment (plastic & aluminum). The white circle shows where the cables pass through the panel.

I have no heating issues with this installation. But I also use ceramic coating on my exhaust headers and have protected all devices that don't like heat in the engine compartment. Never had any trouble, even on hot days and sportive driving across the mountains of the French Riviera!

Cheers - Gunther

18712 18713
[URL="http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/members/queeniee.html"] (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/members/queeniee.html)

queeniee
23-07-11, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the reply and the pictures. But one of my problems is that when there is very heavy rain, I get some water behind my dashboard and for many reasons, I prefer to stick to the Mallory.

queeniee
23-07-11, 09:57 AM
The size is not a problem since these boxes (Mal and MSD) are similar. But (maybe I am wrong), I prefer to keep a full set up from the same brand: I have a Mallory ignition box-rev limiter, a Mallorry coil, a Mallory distributor) and I do not like to mix brands. And changing the values on the Mallory box takes only a few seconds which is quicker than removing the steering wheel, removing the dashboard with the possibility of disconnecting some wires....

FatBoy
23-07-11, 10:09 AM
I've mounted my 6AL on the cockpit side of the engine bulkhead using sticky back Velcro that I bought from Halfords. It is about 2" wide and two strips running the length of the 6AL hold it firmly in place, whilst also providing a degree of shock absorbtion. It has been there for 3 years so far with no sign of falling off.

Paul

bahari
23-07-11, 10:17 AM
Sure certainly better to keep it clean, you'd have to change it all. But for your information, the MSD 6AL has a remote rev control (2-Step Rev Control for Digital 6AL - 8732 (http://www.msdignition.com/Products/New_Products/8732_-_2-Step_Rev_Control_for_Digital_6AL.aspx)), no need to take the dashboard off and fiddle with the wires, or do it manually in the engine compartment, as for the Mallory.

queeniee
23-07-11, 01:12 PM
I used sticky Velcro for different purposes in my Cobra but I found that heat tends to "unglue" them. For instance, in winter, I put a heat-shield in front of my oil radiator with these Velcro and they got loose from heath.

I've mounted my 6AL on the cockpit side of the engine bulkhead using sticky back Velcro that I bought from Halfords. It is about 2" wide and two strips running the length of the 6AL hold it firmly in place, whilst also providing a degree of shock absorbtion. It has been there for 3 years so far with no sign of falling off.

Paul