PDA

View Full Version : Rear Arm Bushes

karl_tanner
08-08-10, 02:50 PM
I HAVE MY CHASSIS WOOHOOOO!!!!

Sometime ago I had to remove the bushes from the rear arms, (Pr*ck in a wizard sleeve comes to mind)... So now I'm throwing bits at my shiney new chassis, I ask this.... What is the general consensus.. Rubber or Poly bushes?
I'm thinking that rubber did the car parts fine until wear started to set in at 100K+ miles, but which will give you a better "feel"? I'm sure Ford sourced rubber bits won't be cheap.. but is the Poly version an upgrade?

Thanks for any input chaps!

Karl :D:D

Did I mention I got my chassis?

Sidecarbod
08-08-10, 04:24 PM
I HAVE MY CHASSIS WOOHOOOO!!!!

Sometime ago I had to remove the bushes from the rear arms, (Pr*ck in a wizard sleeve comes to mind)... So now I'm throwing bits at my shiney new chassis, I ask this.... What is the general consensus.. Rubber or Poly bushes?
I'm thinking that rubber did the car parts fine until wear started to set in at 100K+ miles, but which will give you a better "feel"? I'm sure Ford sourced rubber bits won't be cheap.. but is the Poly version an upgrade?

Thanks for any input chaps!

Karl :D:D

Did I mention I got my chassis?

My vote is for rubber!

craggle
08-08-10, 04:35 PM
Yep, Given my previous experiences with Poly bushes, I'd go for the rubber bushes every time. :p

Craig.

robcob
08-08-10, 06:22 PM
My vote is for rubber!
That explains your avatar.;)
rob

Sidecarbod
08-08-10, 06:47 PM
that explains your avatar.;)
rob

lol!!! ;););)

slogger
08-08-10, 09:20 PM
My vote is for rubber!

I'd go for this every time!http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/13/article-0-0A02F0FB000005DC-919_226x672.jpg

cobracol
08-08-10, 09:38 PM
For more "Feel" you need polybushes, however these will also transmit more vibrations, which is ok if you plan to trackday it alot, personally i would go for rubber bushes too, which are perfectly adequate for everyday driving, but i think they need replacing after four or five years, as they do distort, no biggie though!

AlexB74
09-08-10, 09:26 AM
if you've got big wheels go for rubber, if you have say 15s go poly...

I went poly on my front end as part of its refresh and its sharpened it up nicely, but the sidewall depth still give enough flex to keep things comfy..

Alex

karl_tanner
09-08-10, 09:48 AM
Strangley, the picture of Katy Perry in tight rubber won it for me!!

Thanks for that chaps!

I'll pop into Ford to see if they have any(and how much!), if not it'll be Mill Autos or Autoparts... They were a basta*d to get out... Do you need a special tool? My Dad made one years ago for a mk2 Granada... But as you can imagine... looooooooong gone!!

Cheers!:D

Noel
09-08-10, 10:44 AM
Strangley, the picture of Katy Perry in tight rubber won it for me!!

Thanks for that chaps!

I'll pop into Ford to see if they have any(and how much!), if not it'll be Mill Autos or Autoparts... They were a basta*d to get out... Do you need a special tool? My Dad made one years ago for a mk2 Granada... But as you can imagine... looooooooong gone!!

Cheers!:D

This is a common problem found regulaiy on LandRovers and the tool that is made for it is called a Bushwacker. There is an alternative method either using an air saw or fire!! Will expand if you want it?

Sidecarbod
09-08-10, 03:45 PM
This is a common problem found regulaiy on LandRovers and the tool that is made for it is called a Bushwacker. There is an alternative method either using an air saw or fire!! Will expand if you want it?

A bush fire...there has got to be a joke in there somewhere, along the lines of of women that smoke in bed. And as for "bushwacker".... :p

karl_tanner
10-08-10, 09:45 AM
Haha! I thought the same.... But I've never seen a bushwacker! I'm thinking of some Oz nut in a hat!
I've tried doing some searches on "bushwacker"... to no avail...:confused:

Where would you find one?:???:

Daryn Smith
10-08-10, 07:26 PM
Congrats on getting your chassis Karl.

If you are still fitting your Rover V8 engine I have a set of powder coated engine mounts if your interested and the Alternator bracket supplied to me by Pilgrim before I decided to fit a Chevy.

I also have a tremec slip yoke to suit T5 gearbox, if thats what you are using.

pm if your interested.

Have fun with the build ;)

karl_tanner
10-08-10, 09:58 PM
Hi Daryn!

I've left you a PM!!! (about said parts and stuff....)

Thanks mate, yes I've finally got the bugger, and just finished the delight of sealing it... Mark from Pilgrim suggested I did the brake linings first, but I got carried away with worrying about rear swing arm bushes!!!

;)