PDA

View Full Version : LS2 loom - can I remove this?

rkmckinley
15-08-10, 10:03 PM
Hi everyone

LS2 thinning time!

I have been cautiously pruning my LS2 loom (its a GTO cutout) and have a connector which was not connected to the engine.

Its a on the left front of the engine, after the MAF connector a six pin connector with:

2 green wires, 1 goes back to the aircon pump
Red wire
Pink and black wire
Black and red wire.

Photo attached

Has anyone any advice?

Bob

Trevor
16-08-10, 07:22 AM
Have you discounted A/C and or PAS?

LS1 Tech is a valuable source for info and you should be able to get a list of your PCM pin outs.
I have a listing for my 2002 engine but not sure how much they have been changed.
The colours tend to A/C though.
Trevor

Mac Stowt
16-08-10, 08:03 PM
Hello Bob

In that vicinity you should find:

On the little 6-way BLACK connector, on one side is a red wire and a green wire, and on the other side there is a pink wire/ blue tracer (the wire in the middle of 3 wires).

The red, green, and pink/blue tracer need to be joined together and hooked to a 12 volts with key on power source.

On the big WHITE connector, there is a pink wire in the corner position. This wire is the O2 heater wire and must also be hooked to a 12 volts with key on power source.

This is what I did in following the instructions from John Spears whilst using his GTO J1 harness ( this replaced the Blue connector that came from the body harness) and of course retaining the connectors that come from the engine (after thinning them out)

Hope that helps

Terry

rkmckinley
18-08-10, 09:41 PM
Pin outs being removed
C2
#21 GN Low reference from oil sensor
#24 BN/WH Oil pressure signal
#37 BU/YE 5 volt reference from oil sensor
#50 GN/YE EVAP canister purge
#54 WH EVAP canister vent BUT LEADS TO LEFT COIL

C3
#2 L-BU HO2S Bank 1 sensor 2
#3 RD/WH HO2S Bank 2 Sensor 2
#18 BN/RD HO2S low signal bank 1 sensor 2
#19 PU/WH HO2S high signal bank 1 sensor 2
#20 PU/BK HO2S High signal Bank2 sensor 2
#21 BN/BU HO2S low singnal bank 2 sensor 2
#48 GY Skipshift solenoid

Also from the white connector which seems to connect to the body harness
#49 BK Low reference
#51 L-GN AC compressor clutch relay control
And other wires from the white connector which seems to connect to the body harness
Reverse lockout solenoid wires
Reversing light

And finally for now!! How do you open the C2 and c3 connectors to remove the wires?

Bob

Happy Jim
19-08-10, 01:55 PM
And finally for now!! How do you open the C2 and c3 connectors to remove the wires?

Bob

I ended up snipping from the back of the plug, and just left the pins in place!!

Tony Merry
19-08-10, 02:02 PM
Hi I tried to convert my LS1 loom, but unless you are really clued up its not easy, in the end i bought the engine loom from GD, every thing then just plugs together, into body loom and dash harness,the reverand has a few schematics for engine loom, best wishes.

tosspot
19-08-10, 06:12 PM
Bob,
Looked at all my elec pics & found nowt like your plug so the LS2 harness must be different to the LS1.
As for the plugs if they are the same, the backs unclip & just pull the wires out.
See pics.13148

It will all fall into place (eventually) & I'm sure it came free with the engine so much cheaper than bespoke.
Brian

rkmckinley
19-08-10, 08:02 PM
Thanks Happy Jim, Tony and Brian

Yes, I had thought about the GD loom - but just throwing away what started out as a working loom grieves me!

And I had thought of just leaving them but its the (about) 3 feet of redundant wires coiled up behind the dash malevolently heating up ....... So I may be converting a working loom into what I can throw away with a clear conscience!

And the old adage, if it does not come apart just pull (or hit) it harder, still holds!

Thanks everyone

Bob

Trevor
20-08-10, 07:11 AM
The technique for removing pins is to be found in a search LS1Tech forum,
at least for the LS1 loom. I can't imagine it will be that different although the two plug descriptions are red and blue.
From memory a very fine pointed screwdriver is needed to flatten the barbs as you give a light pull.
Trevor

chesterak
20-08-10, 07:24 AM
If all else fails you could get a Painless Performance Loom, as I did, May be a bit expensive at about $700 but very high quality.....

Robin427
21-08-10, 03:07 PM
Be careful (had a long reply written but just lost the fuckr)!

Some of those wires, according to the pinouts from here:

Pinouts and wiring diagrams - LS1TECH (http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/871904-pinouts-wiring-diagrams.html)

control injectors etc. so best to trace them back to the PCM connectors so you can actually work out what they are for.

Removing pins is pretty simple, if the design is the same as the ones on mine - just careful levering to get the thing apart and then levering the barbs with a fine bladed screwdriver whilst gently pulling the wire out - not too difficult to put the pins back in again if you make a mistake either...

There are some wiring diagrams/information on my website, as mentioned, but the design might have changed since then and I put too many fuses/relays in - more learned now!

Re: the coils of wiring - given my time again, I wouldn't try to force the wiring to exit through the centre of the bulkhead, as it was tending towards one side

rkmckinley
21-08-10, 08:17 PM
Thanks Robin

I've traced everything. I think!

Did you reuse the pin connectors? I was looking to buy new ones.

Bob

Robin427
22-08-10, 03:23 PM
Which pin connectors? The big ones that go into the PCM?

rkmckinley
23-08-10, 06:11 PM
Hi

Thanks again

What I now believe are called bootlace connectors - the cylindrical crimped connector which goes on the end of the individual wires which then go into the large block connectors which go into the engine management unit.

Bob

Robin427
23-08-10, 06:40 PM
Why would you need to re-use them? I think if I have needed to splice into the loom I'd just cut the wire off and attach another one using adhesive-lined heatshrink to waterproof the connection. Don't know where you could buy new pins

rkmckinley
24-08-10, 07:28 AM
Thanks Robin

That now perfectly obvious solution has been suggested by Brian (tosspot) - it had not been perfectly obvious to me before that!

There may be a perfectly obvious solution to this question which I also can't see - how did you 'grommet' the loom as it went through the bulkhead?

Bob

Robin427
24-08-10, 09:17 AM
I used grommet strip (Google it) and had the wires in plastic convoluted tubing anyway

tosspot
24-08-10, 05:00 PM
Thanks Robin

That now perfectly obvious solution has been suggested by Brian (tosspot) - it had not been perfectly obvious to me before that!

There may be a perfectly obvious solution to this question which I also can't see - how did you 'grommet' the loom as it went through the bulkhead?

Bob

This may not be so obvious,
is this what you are after?

Brian

JimmyJazz
24-08-10, 06:31 PM

Bob

A GD roll bar grommet does the job quite nicely. It flexible enough to stretch over the ecu connectors.

rkmckinley
24-08-10, 09:17 PM
Thanks

Very useful everyone!

Bob

Robin427
25-08-10, 08:01 AM
This may not be so obvious,
is this what you are after?

Brian

Brian,

Where did you get that from? It's one of the things I'd like to clean up in my engine bay

tosspot
25-08-10, 05:56 PM
Brian,

Where did you get that from? It's one of the things I'd like to clean up in my engine bay

Robin,
Its just 2 pieces of stainless plate with an hole cut in the middle & polished.

Brian.

Robin427
26-08-10, 08:52 AM
Robin,
Its just 2 pieces of stainless plate with an hole cut in the middle & polished.

Brian.

I realised that - wondered how you cut the plate so neatly.

tosspot
26-08-10, 05:03 PM
Cut the fixing holes, then bolted tight together onto a backplate & drilled down the centre with a Starrett hole saw.
Jobs a gooden!

Robin427
26-08-10, 05:24 PM
Looks like pretty thick stainless - I'm surprised a holesaw got through it OK. Another thing to have a bash at if I ever get a minute to myself...