PDA

View Full Version : Viewing tips

Rustik
27-09-10, 08:13 PM
Folks, a while back i originally was looking at building a sumo. Time constraints have meant I've decided to purchase a pre built one. I'm off for a viewing of one on Friday. Donor is a granada, engine is 3.5l Rover V8 from SD1.

I've been reading a bit on diffs etc on other threads and I recall doors on sumo's are also known to be problematic.

Can anyone give me a few pointers to look for to avoid buying a lemon?

Many thanks

Russell

steve_h
28-09-10, 10:04 PM
Hi Russell

As with all cars look it over, ask lots of questions.

Did the guy build it himself does he have bills for work done?

is it a mk 1 2 or 3?

ask if the bump steer, and self centering mods have been done.

A lot of the potential drawbacks could be more about the quality of the build rather than the kit itself

I dont think there is anything much wrong with a sumo I love mine.

find out about it and then ask any questions on here there are a lot of people on here with loads of knowledge about rover engines and building cars

Ultimately if you dont feel comfortable about it walk away, there will be others come up

Good luck and welcome

Steve

slogger
28-09-10, 10:15 PM
Hi Russell

As with all cars look it over, ask lots of questions.

Did the guy build it himself does he have bills for work done?

is it a mk 1 2 or 3?

ask if the bump steer, and self centering mods have been done.

A lot of the potential drawbacks could be more about the quality of the build rather than the kit itself

I dont think there is anything much wrong with a sumo I love mine.

find out about it and then ask any questions on here there are a lot of people on here with loads of knowledge about rover engines and building cars

Ultimately if you dont feel comfortable about it walk away, there will be others come up

Good luck and welcome

Steve

As stated above, but I would like to add, try and take some pictures including areas of concern. At least then you will be able to post them up when asking advise instead of talking about that wobbly thing attached to the other straight bit that seems to hold the what-nit thingy.

Good luck and best wishes in your search.:cool:

nick986
29-09-10, 10:21 AM
that wobbly thing attached to the other straight bit that seems to hold the what-nit thingy.

You mean the driver?

Rustik
29-09-10, 05:16 PM
gents, thanks.

could i get a brief description about the differences between mk's 1,2 and 3? Is there anything obvious to the naked eye or does it rely on paperwork to distinguish. The car was registered in 2007 but don't know what mark of kit was used.

the seller is not the builder and don't know that he will have asked similar questions when he purchased. What are the bump steer and self centering mods? Is there a thread that describes? I recall when looking a few years back there was talk of these being an issue but I don't know the solutions.

thanks again

Russell

Stevednorris
29-09-10, 05:21 PM
Have a read through this:

Welcome - Pilgrim Sumo Online Build Wiki - How To Build a Pilgrim Sumo (http://how-to-build-a-pilgrim-sumo.wikidot.com/)

It'll keep you busy for a while ;).

nick986
29-09-10, 06:00 PM
Ask the owner of the car if he is on this site and if anyone knows the caror him, is he a dealer? I bought mine off a chap that was a dealer, but I managed to contact the original owner. He did a diary of events of the build and he kept all receipts which I now have. He did a very good Blog which I have printed off and I keep a diary of work carried out, oil top ups, coolant change, stone guards and soft top fitting etc. This will hopefully help when I come to sell her as there is no service history.

Rustik
29-09-10, 08:12 PM
thanks, having a bounce round the site, can't see anything yet that describes the difference between the marks.

for info, this is the advert
Kit Cars : Pilgrim Cobra V8 (Rover SD1) (http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2042811.htm)

tx

nick986
30-09-10, 06:49 AM
Phone Pilgrim

Sidecarbod
30-09-10, 07:23 AM
thanks, having a bounce round the site, can't see anything yet that describes the difference between the marks.

Kit Cars : Pilgrim Cobra V8 (Rover SD1) (http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2042811.htm)

tx

It looks like a MK III to me. When you go to see the car check out the front top wishbones. If they are made from 15mm X 15mm square section steel or from round section then its a MK III. If they are made from a flat plate that has been pressed into shape then its a MK II. There are loads of other differences between the models but that is a easy one to check.

The wheels look like 5 stud jobbies which makes in Granada based, again MK III 'stuff' (Just spotted in your post that you said it was Granny based!)

As to the handling mods you can ask if they have been done, if they have not or the bloke does not know then don't worry about it. You can do the mods at a later date. (They make a huge difference!) Also bear in mind that Pilgrim are doing the mods to the chassis themselves, I don't think that it will be long before some of these 'factory modded' chassis will be on the road.

From the pictures it does not look too bad, it would have been nice if it had a Edelbrock manifold and carb rather than the Rover one and SU's. I hope the SU's have been re-calibrated to work with the K&N filters!

At the end of the day you're always taking a risk buying a car, even more so when it's home made. Your best clue is whether everying it neat and tidy, that will tell you more about the builder than anything else.

Good luck, if your 'gut' says its OK then try and knock off 500 quid and buy it! :-D

bloke from stoke
30-09-10, 05:14 PM
If you do decide to have a look at it, try and get some one off this forum to go and have a look for you, I think it said Lancs in the ad, there should be someone around that area that could help you

Regards Lester

bloke from stoke
30-09-10, 05:18 PM
Phone Pilgrim

Hi Nick good idea but there are no records left of the "Holmes Era" as they went when the company did:rolleyes:

Kind regards Lester

PS I tried the same last year when I bought mine:(

Purple AK
30-09-10, 06:14 PM

tx
The clue is in the registration number ;) It was obviously "Age Related" registered on the donor year 1988. So the donor would have been a Granada of that year. So it is a Mk3.