PDA

View Full Version : Filling holes in Gelcoat

GrahamSh
10-10-10, 10:24 PM
I have taken delivery of my sumo body which I intend to leave in Gelcoat. There are a number of holes in the Gelcoat, mostly where I have removed the flashlines but also some imperfections elsewhere. I need to fill the holes and am seeking advice on how to go about filling the small (and not so small) holes.

I have been looking through the forum and on the web and an just confused. I assume that I can get some colour matched Gelcoat from Pilgrim, but don't know how to then make the repairs?

Any advice, and where to purchase whatever I need, would be appreciated.

Steve
10-10-10, 10:30 PM
Pilgrim will sell the gelcoat.....most kit manufacturers supply a pot of the gel used for the body when you get it, so you can touch up.
gel repairs can be made perfect, the engne bay seams on a gd are always filled with gel, and a flawless fill can be achievd.

trick is to prep the surface sufficinetly with 600 grit, apply gelcoat, cover (gel doesnt harden in air), then wait. after 2/3 days you can rub back the repair, then polish with finer papers, and polish with farecla.

dgosumo
10-10-10, 10:39 PM
You should double check with Den at Pilgrim but when I did mine many years ago you had to make sure the hole was clean, mix the gelcoat and hardner, fill the hole slightly proud and tape over to seal out the air or it won't harden. Then you're ready to start sanding off all over again..... Enjoy

GrahamSh
10-10-10, 10:42 PM
Thanks - didn't get a pot of gelcoat with the body - will contact Pilgrim tomorrow.

Do I need anything to go with the gelcoat - hardenener?

dgosumo
10-10-10, 10:47 PM
Yes used to be gelcoat plus hardner. Pilgrim used to sell gelcoat for their cars with matching hardner. Good luck

Steve
10-10-10, 10:56 PM
they really ought supply it with the car. you are repairing their product after all.....

and get some acetone to clean the repair before you start, otherwise you will have dust in the repair.

bubbles in the repair gel are your enemy, so always work the gelcoat very slowly.

plastic spooons, toothpicks and paper cake bases make perfect cheap disposables for mixing, applying gel for repairs.

mic n gill
11-10-10, 07:26 AM
Hi Graham, I used to repair my ol surfboard with araldite, worked real well---Mic

Geezer
11-10-10, 07:34 AM
I have taken delivery of my sumo body which I intend to leave in Gelcoat. There are a number of holes in the Gelcoat, mostly where I have removed the flashlines but also some imperfections elsewhere. I need to fill the holes and am seeking advice on how to go about filling the small (and not so small) holes.

I have been looking through the forum and on the web and an just confused. I assume that I can get some colour matched Gelcoat from Pilgrim, but don't know how to then make the repairs?

Any advice, and where to purchase whatever I need, would be appreciated.

On this subject, and without threadjacking, I had to carry out a few repairs finishing off with gelcoat. You couldn't see where I had carried out the repairs but over time it seems to have shrunk or collapsed. I am loathe to repair again as I am going to paint (eventually) and any repairs can be carried out with bodyfiller. Does anyone know the sort of timescale after which no more slumping can be reasonably expected after gelcoat repairs? I am talking about repairs greater than, say, 10mm across... :confused:

dinosoar
11-10-10, 07:57 AM
Tiny tip;

Cling film is good for covering over the repair. You can see if the bubbles are out and it comes off nice and cleanly once hardened.

Andy

realyweely
11-10-10, 08:19 AM
Clean the pinholes out with acetone and ensure it is really dry before even starting

You need to remember to mix the gelcoat with the catalyst at a ratio of 2% catalyst.

Use toothpicks to put tiny amounts of gelcoat into the holes. Then leave them with the gelcoat proud of the holes. Sand them down later before polishing the gelcoat.