PDA

View Full Version : limiting wheel travel

Steve
24-10-10, 07:23 PM
due to the "fat" 15 inch tyres on the front of the car, on full lock my tyres rub the inner arch return.

I cant grind this back any more, so need to add a spacer to limit rack travel under the gaiter.

Id prefer to put something over the rack rather than dissassembling it and putting a spacer in place of the original

any ideas on what i could try ?.

JimmyJazz
24-10-10, 07:30 PM
Can't you just pull the gaiter back and add plastic washers untill the wheel stops rubbing.

JimmyJazz
24-10-10, 07:41 PM
Pull back the steering rack rubber to expose the steering rack lock stop (white nylon). Once the original lock stop is exposed, you need to make some plastic washers to pack out on the wheels side of the lock stop. Get an old ice-cream container/stacker bin. First cut a 22mm hole in the plastic, then cutting a 30mm hole around that. Split the rings so you can flex over the steering rack. Keep adding untill you get the clearance you need.

cobracol
24-10-10, 11:07 PM
Or you could possibly add wheel spacers if you have room, that way you wont loose any lock

Steve
25-10-10, 11:57 AM
just had a "moment of enlightenment".......after i thought about this.

It could just be that i need to recheck the tracking, as it might just be enough to stop the inteference

gd427man
02-11-10, 08:40 AM
I also have the same problem with my 16" wheels. I drilled smome small holes in the inner wings and tied them bach to the chisis taking care not to overdo it. the wheels clear. this was supposed to be a temporary measure until I could consult Andy at GD. been on a couple of years now though.....
Don't think spacers will work for me as I had to trim out the whell arches to get them to clear in the first place (as per the build instructions) so the wheels will be too close.

Cheers.
Ian

Happy Jim
02-11-10, 01:15 PM
Don't think spacers will work for me as I had to trim out the whell arches to get them to clear in the first place (as per the build instructions) so the wheels will be too close.

Cheers.
Ian

Ian,
The spacers go under the gaiter on the end of the Steering rack and just restrict the lock to lock movement (total distance) of the Rack - the Wheel spacing is not affected (neither is the geo).

Rgds

Jim

gd427man
02-11-10, 01:32 PM
Yes I realise, but cobra col suggested wheel spacers in a previous answer and I was refering to these not he steering spacers.
Thanks anyway.
I was trying not to loose any of the steering lock as its not that great in the first place so I just 'persuaded' the inner arches out of the way!

Cheers

Happy Jim
02-11-10, 11:29 PM
Yes I realise, but cobra col suggested wheel spacers in a previous answer and I was refering to these not he steering spacers.
Thanks anyway.
I was trying not to loose any of the steering lock as its not that great in the first place so I just 'persuaded' the inner arches out of the way!

Cheers

Doh :lol: I should have scrolled up further!