PDA

View Full Version : quicklift

Tony Merry
02-11-10, 04:19 PM
Hi has anyone fitted quicklift brackets to there GD, I have a MK4, yesterday i went into the garage and discovered i had a rear flat tyre, i had a hell of a job trying to get the wheel off. when removed no sign of nail or hole, but the tyre had come away from the edge of the wheel, so it wouldn't blow up, had to take it to local garage to get it pumped up, but i have discovered it's losing presure slowly about 1lb every 2 days, so will have to keep my eye on it from now on. hope it seals itself in time, but if it happens again it would be easier to remove if i had quicklifts fitted, problem is where are they bolted to? I just don't have enough room to get my trolley jack under to lift the wheel off the ground.

craggle
02-11-10, 04:29 PM
All of the so called "Quick lifts" are there purely for decoration. They are mounted on nothing more that 10mm studding like the bumpers and over riders are. If you tried lifting the car with them they would simply bend and rip big holes in the body.

You may be able to come up with your own mounting system but it will involve a fair bit of engineering to make something strong enough seeing as the chassis stops a fair distance behind the point you are trying to lift on.
I'm guessing the ones on the original cars also flexed a bit but I guess they just didn't care about it on a race car.

Can you jack a bit on the chassis then block that up so you can get the jack in a bit further? My normal place to jack the car up is under the centre of the diff. You do have to lift it quite high to get the wheels off the floor but it's nice and secure.

Craig.

KevinW
02-11-10, 04:30 PM
dont do it - unless you tirangulate the quicklift brackets.
Most quicklifts are decorative only. If used in anger, i think they will bend on their studding and most likely crack or damage the fibreglass body surrounding the mounting apertures.

kdavies3
02-11-10, 04:30 PM
Hi Tony, Quick lifts are normally cosmetic on most replicas I think you'll find.

I have them fitted and they are bolted back into the chassis but I wouldn't jack the car with them.

I'm sure on a GD they can't easily be bolted back to the chassis.

I can supply a set of polished stainless ones though if you want some. :D

see the Quick Jacks post in the Group Buys section. :cool:

Tony Merry
02-11-10, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the replies, guesed as much, i can't lift under the diff as i have underslung pipes, i think i will have to get myself a scissor lift jack and see if they are lower enough to get under. thanks again.

gd427man
02-11-10, 04:56 PM
I use a sealey trolley jack. had it for years and it folds very low. I usually jack under the axle then prop it with axle stands as I too have straight through pipes.
Try e-bay for a jack or machine mart for the model first.

Cheers.

ldtopham
02-11-10, 07:37 PM
Hi has anyone fitted quicklift brackets to there GD, I have a MK4, yesterday i went into the garage and discovered i had a rear flat tyre, i had a hell of a job trying to get the wheel off. when removed no sign of nail or hole, but the tyre had come away from the edge of the wheel, so it wouldn't blow up, had to take it to local garage to get it pumped up, but i have discovered it's losing presure slowly about 1lb every 2 days, so will have to keep my eye on it from now on. hope it seals itself in time, but if it happens again it would be easier to remove if i had quicklifts fitted, problem is where are they bolted to? I just don't have enough room to get my trolley jack under to lift the wheel off the ground.

Quick lifts of a decorative purpose are on my car. See my gallery.

Can you not jack from the opposite side to the flat? The chassis is stiff enough to lift both wheels from one point once you get above suspension droop;)

JimmyJazz
02-11-10, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the replies, guesed as much, i can't lift under the diff as i have underslung pipes, i think i will have to get myself a scissor lift jack and see if they are lower enough to get under. thanks again.

Could you make a wooden pad to fit on the jack that slips between the underslungs onto the diff.

As said quicklifts would be purely cosmetic on a GD, if you were to mount them to the chassis some how you would lose your independently rubber mounted body