PDA

View Full Version : not sure where to start...

bristolboi
07-11-10, 12:13 PM
I am looking for a kit car that uses a jaguar sovereign as its main donor. Any suggestions?:D

Dutch Paul
07-11-10, 01:34 PM
I am looking for a kit car that uses a jaguar sovereign as its main donor. Any suggestions?:D

What year is the Jag?
Does it have rear inboard or outboard brakes?

PS Welcome to the forum.

bristolboi
07-11-10, 01:59 PM
it's an '88 jag soveriegn... haven't a clue about the brakes... thanks for your speedy reply...:)

cobracol
07-11-10, 02:15 PM
Hello and welcome, Mystery person!, are you looking to build?, i would assume you have posted on the cobra club, because that is what you are interested in?, (but you never know!) virtually all the mainstream kits use the pre 86 jag xj6 (series 3), or xjs as a donar, but some also use the newer xj40 mainly AK and Dax, so you need to identify the donar first!, but however if you are building a car just to use the parts, then this is completely the wrong way to go about it, akin to putting the cart before the horse!, as the donar parts are the cheapest part of any build, second most important thing is a budjet for the build, try using the search for this as it has been discussed many times before, Good luck, Regards Col

Lloyd Barnes
08-11-10, 08:26 AM
it's an '88 jag soveriegn... haven't a clue about the brakes... thanks for your speedy reply...:)

have a look through the back wheels. Are the brake discs right behind the wheel as you see on most cars (outboard), or next to the diff in thecentre of the car (inboard).

If inboard, all of the major kit manufacturers use this as a donor. If outboard then AK and Dax use this.

Welcome to the forum. Give us a name at some point if you are planning on staying around :-D

Miket
08-11-10, 08:38 AM
An 88 Jaguar Sovereign will almost certainly be an XJ40, so the only choice of Cobra kit is either an AK or a DAX. ;)

As others have said look through the rear wheels and see where the disks are.