PDA

View Full Version : Front Grill

James
20-04-01, 11:19 PM
Hi all

Can anyone give advise on front grill
I know a lot of Cobras dont havd antything but tghin air protecting the Rad but I am a bit concerned at Tanking down an A road and getting a stone right where it hurts in my rad
I have seen the gauze etc advertised but but prefer the look of the grillon the Hawk 289 but wonder

Will it fit

Any advise ???

Cheers

James :-) :-) :-)

cobraman
21-04-01, 05:16 PM
The Hawk grill is individual to the Hawk 289,it has a slightly different shape to the 427(simply put...flatter at the bottom)...Europa sell the brass gauze/mesh..but,as ussual...EXPENSIVE!...An option I used,was B+Q!!..They sell panels of brass and aluminium mesh at 1/10th the price of Europa..If you pick the right pattern,it's indistinguishable from the original..You can even get the "brake-cooler"intakes out of the same ten quid piece!!
I found the best attachment method was to stretch it over the opening,then form it over the lip..then,put 3 or 4 small self tappers from the outside in,biting into the mesh.Either use stainless screws,or touch-up in body colour.
All I would say,is that,If going to the time and expense of fitting an expensive grill...Bear in mind that,if Your intention is to stop stones..then the Hawk type will do nothing!...A mesh type is the only type the will stop the Sparrows commiting "Hari-Kari"!!
Best of luck......DJ.

Mike
21-04-01, 05:34 PM
I bought a front grill from Europa, only my view, but its rubbish. I ended up doing the same as DJ and buying pre-drilled Ally. I used this for Rad, brake and air filter holes. I started by using st/st self tappers but didn't like that so made mounting points from metal filler (adhesion is excellent)and put tappers infrom behind where they can't be seen.

paul
21-04-01, 05:47 PM
As a thought If you want to retain the open mouth effect of the 427 shape what about mounting the grill/mesh on a frame(this can be square/oblong to suit) which you can make brackets to mount of the rad mountings and stand it of the rad by 100mm so it will still do its job but will be out of sight (even better paint it matt black)
cheers
Paul

robert
21-04-01, 06:35 PM
Or put your rad fans at the front, they are a damn sight cheaper to replace than my aluminium radiator.

Robert
Cobra Club Web Bloke with a Supercharged GD!

imported_admin
21-04-01, 10:28 PM
Go to a builders yard and get some galvenised builders mesh looks ok and its strong and cheap.

imported_admin
23-04-01, 10:03 AM
I have the mesh set from Pilgrim.
Good price, and its also pre-formed to fit all 4 front apertures.
Europa set is ludicrously expensive, I guess because its stainless.
But as per one of the previous posts, I intend setting the large nose mesh back from the front, and painting it black. But I think you need to put something over the front for SVA - I beleive DAX now have two extra bars (+ stainless one across the middle) across the front at just the right spacing for SVA. Maybe worth a thought?

BTW, don't buy europa's rear nudge bar rubber grommets - they're nearly 4 quid each, and don't fit!!!! Cost me nearly 20 including VAT + postage. Now surplus to requirements.

Kevin

Pete
23-04-01, 02:35 PM
Re Nudge bar grommets, I fashioned some out of walking stick rubbers, there's loads of different diameters and lengths, both in hard plastic and rubber all at B&Q Depots. Just a few pence each - plus I can recycle at a later date for my (V8)zimmer frame!

Pete

JR
23-05-07, 05:54 PM
I used B&Q mesh too - looks great - I used adhesive mastick to attach -quick & easy
JR
SRV8

Noel
23-05-07, 07:43 PM
Let me think.......replace a rad at 100+ or an overheated engine at 8.5K, no grill for me :) :wink: :wink:

JR
23-05-07, 08:10 PM
I neglected to say that I only put it on to present it for SVA in case anything in the engine bay failed edges test.
Now running naked - but each to their own.
John R
SRV8

Wilburn
23-05-07, 08:10 PM
Hi,

pics of my Cobra with and without mesh can be seen here http://autos.ninebean.com/cobraclub/viewtopic.php?t=22295&highlight=mesh

Purple AK
23-05-07, 08:47 PM
Pilgrim/B&Q mesh is 99% efficient at stopping stones etc. It is also 50% efficient and restricticting airflow :(

JR
23-05-07, 10:11 PM
Paul,
Your car looks great with & without a grill - I think that whilst a cobra is moving enough air will pass through most meshes to keep it cool.
I don't think Mr Shelby was thinking about stationary traffic and red traffic lights when he designed the Cobra, but I'd have thought that when at a standstill airflow thru the nose is less important than where the hot air can escape.
Surely a couple of fans operated early by an override switch should cool all but the wildest engines?
Perhaps some owners are keeping the revs up when stopped to give the non cobra owning public the benefit of the glorious noise?
John R
SRV8

Keith1968
24-05-07, 08:55 AM
Its just as important to stop heated air recycling from one side of the radiator back to the other, particularly when stationary.

Keith1968
24-05-07, 08:55 AM
Its just as important to stop heated air recycling from one side of the radiator back to the other, particularly when stationary.

Noel
15-06-07, 04:18 PM
Let me think.......replace a rad at 100+ or an overheated engine at 8.5K, no grill for me :) :wink: :wink:

One of my bigger mistakes...opening my big mouth. The week after posting this, took a rock through the rad......surprising how fast water can come out of a small hole under pressure :oops:

That weekend went down to Devon, 500 mile round trip. At last minute wacked the Pilgrim grill back on with some self tappers.....took one big hit by some big square white thing (catseye??) clean in the middle of the grill with enough force to wrench off the self tappers. Fixed with cable ties. On the way back took 3 more smaller hits :?: :?: Unlucky or what.

I have seen the error of my ways and am now looking for a decent piece of mesh that will allow more air through than the Pilgrim item.

KICKSY
15-06-07, 08:18 PM
Hello lads,
brought some stainless mesh from a builders merchants, 1cm square perforations and painted it black, looks great at only 20 sq meter.
Dave Kicks