PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Instruments

PeteT
19-04-01, 10:11 PM
Has anyone used Jag spec instruments on their Cobra, and to what success ? I don`t want to really shell out 350 or so if the Jag ones will work o.k. Guess i will need a knew Rev counter though as i will be running a 350 Chevy

mal
20-04-01, 12:15 AM
speedy cables wil refurbish them with sva compliant dials,you can get the chip out of an 8 cyl rev counter from rover v8 to install in jag rev counter,if your unable to obtain rover rev counter,email me i have a couple lying around

imported_admin
20-04-01, 09:49 PM
Hi There,
I recently trimmed my dash and managed to get an original Jag rev counter converted to 6 - 12cyl (50) by speedy cables Tel: 020 7226 9228. They are based in Islington in London. I already had a speedo but I purchased 6 additional 2" gauges from Europa at approx 100 all in. If you are Interested I can send you a pic to show the finshed effect. DO NOT SPEND 350. Hope this might help.

Mike
21-04-01, 11:16 AM
My car runs a chevy 350 and I used Jag instruments. Speedy Cables calibrated the Speedo and converted the Tacho for 8 cyl. You should speak to them as there are quirks depending on the age of your insruments. You will probably need a voltage stabiliser and if you havn't got a Jag manual I can send you the relevent diagrams.

Mike

PeteT
29-04-01, 09:26 PM
Thinking about it does anyone know if the standard instruments are SVA compatible, not sure it will be worth it if i have to change all the bezels etc., Cheers Peter

nbracken
01-05-01, 09:07 AM
Pete, the original Jag bezels are almost certainly not sva compliant, however the cost of changing them will not be significant. If you have not already done so I can only reiterate what others have said in that a call to Andy at Speedy Cables is well worth the while. I have used them to refurb all my old Smiths Jag instruments (including genuine 5" speedo and rev counters and the service has always been superb.
They have just managed to source a genuine 5" 260 kph speedo from an E Type which I need to replace my mph item as I am currently living in Germany and had to have this for the TUV (kind of SVA and MOT combined).
Give him a call and he'll explain what he can do.

Regards

Nigel B

PeteT
01-05-01, 08:55 PM
Thinking about it , does anyone know if the standard Jag instruments are SVA compatible? Radius of the bezels etc., If afterall i have to get them changed i am not sure if it will be worth it?
Cheers Peter

PeteT
02-05-01, 07:54 PM
Does any one know if the original Jag instuments are SVA compatible, or will i have to change the bezels etc.,

robert
02-05-01, 08:07 PM
If you can sink them in far enough so they do not cause an external projection, then they will be Compliant. Its not the type of dial SVA are worried about, its whether or not the protrude from the dash facia.

Robert

Mike
02-05-01, 08:34 PM
Pete,

See email to you. Robert is correct, they must not project more than 3.2mm

Mike