PDA

View Full Version : First engine start

Martin427
11-05-01, 10:00 PM
I'm the proud owner of a Chevy 5.7 thanks to the guys at Repower.
I'm almost ready for the first fire up (I hope internal combustion only :-) )
The manual supplied [well photo copy] seems OK, but there always seems something that was missed or written in Korean.
Any hints & tips PLEASE.

Thanks.

RigMan
12-05-01, 09:46 AM
Have the boys at Repower broken the engine in yet or has it yet to be started?

If not, you need to break the cam in and that is always a bit tricky on a new installation as there are always a few teething problems. However, the theory is to fire up the engine and bring up the revs for 20-30 mins to 2500 RPM. This should break in the cam as per manufacturers' recomendations.

Firstly however, you need to prime the oil galleries so you get immeadiate oil pressure on start up. Do not just crank the starter with the coil disconnected! You ideally need a priming tool which fits down the distributor port in the manifold and is attached to a drill. Spin it up until you feel good resistance! Then reinstall the distributor.

When it fires up (and it will take some cranking to fill the float bowls etc, bring the revs straight up. The engine may run hot, as there will be increased friction from the newly honed piston bores and hopefully tight bearing clearances. A Chevy should produce (with a regular oil pump) 10 psi per 1000 RPM with warm oil! Temps should ideally be 90-95 degrees, mine made at least 100 first time! Make sure your fans work and even a hose pipe at the ready to spray on to the radiator should you need to, not to mention other safety things like a fire extinguisher just in case. It is a good idea to set timing at this point, Chevys like 8 degrees static (with the vacume lead removed and pluged)and 35-38 degrees at 3000 RPM.

When I did mine I was a nervous wreck because I had rebuilt the thing myself.

When finished, drain the oil whilst still warm and replace with new, also a new filter. Check oil for metal fragments. If all goes well drink copious amounts of beer to celebrate. If not, drink even more to commiserate!

Enjoy!

RigMan:-)

Martin427
13-05-01, 08:56 PM
Thanks Rig Man,
It is brand spanking so I'll be very carefull about spreading as much as the slippery stuff as I can.
The manual mentions a priming tool any idea where I can get one from.
I plan to call Repower to see if I can borrow one but I guess you can make one if you know what from.

I've heard stories about turning it over with no plugs or ingnition to get the pressure up but this sounds a bit risky and I plan to follow the manual.

I'd better get a barrel ready ether way. x( -- Not angry but anxious!
But I hope :-)
If you have a Chevy any recomendation about sources of plugs, filters etc.

Cheers

RigMan
14-05-01, 07:14 AM
The priming tool I used is a stripped down shaft from a distributor. This just has a flat bladed end which fits into the top of the oil pump which you spin up in the drill. If you want you could make one by getting a large long screwdriver, cut off the handle and place it in the drill chuck, it will not be much different from the distributor drive shaft that I used. The proper priming tool however has a piece of plastic on it which centres the spinning shaft in the bore so it does not run excentric and spin off the oil pump connection. (the worm drive on the cam for the distributor is close). RealSteel have the proper tool for 10-12 quid.

Again,speak to Real Steel on spark plugs, they have firm views and sold me some, I think they are Champions.Also, if you have a high pressure/high volume pump you will need a high pressure filter. However, I'm 1000 miles from my Cob at present so I can't go and have a look for you!

RigMan.

Martin427
17-05-01, 03:22 AM
Well at 18:30 she coughed spluttered and ROARED.
Wow truly awsome.

Thanks for your input.

The Repower guys did a great job she was sweet from the start.

Found a great source of 350 spares.
Eady's American
Kettering, Northants
01536 420201

He supplies a number of the hot rodders who use Santa Pod.

Oh yes, re the priming tool, I called Pilgrim [who supplied the lump] to ask if the home made tool sounded feasable.
Tony Holmes [Office Mgr] send me their loan tool, which I got the very next morning. No charge even for postage. Nothing wrong with that service!!

I'm on my way, and finding it difficult not to fit my seat, sit in the car and dream..........

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

RigMan
17-05-01, 10:02 AM
:7