PDA

View Full Version : which fan ?

Joker
31-05-01, 02:12 PM
Hello,

I am currently thinking about replacing my fans. Although I have twin-fans (blower-type), I doubt that they are strong enough. They work fine when cruising through the countryside (even with temperatures above 30 degrees celc.) but as soon as I have to go through stop-and-go (city or traffic-jam), temp. goes up to 100 degrees pretty fast.
When I compared my fans with the ones a guy living next to me built in his car, the difference was awesome. I had the feeling to be sucked in the mouth of that beast.
What kind of fans what you recommend to get rid of this overheating-stuff (twin-fans ? which diameter ? which manufacturer ? how much did you pay ?)

BTW, my car is a Magnum w/ 350CUI Chevy-engine

thanks
Joker

wilf
31-05-01, 02:28 PM
Joker - I have a 408 cu in stroked Windsor V8 in my Crendon, using two 13" Kenlowe fans (sucking, not blowing) on a three core rover SD1 rad I have no overheating problems at all. (yet!!)

Wilf

Roscoe
31-05-01, 02:52 PM
Joker,
I used a Permacool 18" puller that works fine on my 351W
http://www.priveye.com/cobra/Filter3.jpg
I have it hooked up on a dash switch as I don't need it on the highway or while (whilst?) I'm moving around.

http://www.permacool.com/

Roscoe
http://www.priveye.com/cobra.htm

robert
31-05-01, 05:23 PM
Roscoe

Nice Aeroquip....

Robert

The Whistler!

Roscoe
31-05-01, 06:11 PM
Whistler,
Thanks. This is an early photo. I've added an Accusump pre oiler, oil cooler, thermostat and check valve. Also the upper radiator hose is now in -16 fittings and stainless hose. To date I must have 1600 USD tied up in fittings and stainless braided hose. I still have to do the lower radiator plumbing for about 150.00 dollars. Yikes!

Roscoe
http://www.priveye.com/cobra.htm

callum
31-05-01, 08:39 PM
An offering - Conventional wisdom says pullers are about 10% more efficient than blowers but blowers will protect a large part of the radiator from flying debris. Fans work better shrouded to enhance their effects at low road speed - fortunately Cobras don't suffer from this. The coolant mix also matters. Too much anti-freeze will reduce your cooling effect - it is a less effective heat transfer medium than ionised/ditilled water. Mix to beat the freeze not to 'super cool' 'cause it has the opposite effect. Redline Water Wetter helps heat transfer and inhibits corrosion. Finally, what cap have you fitted? Carrying the most pressure your hoses can stand increases the boiling point. A 16lb cap will push boiling up to about 260 degrees Fahrenheit - about 175 Celsius, an 18lb cap to about 180 Celsius

nbracken
31-05-01, 11:11 PM
I use 2 10" Kenlowes sucking through my shrouded rad. I run a Chevy 350 ZZ4 and have never had any cooling probs, even after sustained high speed on motorway on a hot day then hitting crawling speed traffic immediately thereafter. Can't remember price too long ago - circa 1993. Kenlowe are very good to deal with directly _number is on their website or e-mail them your questions. I have reecntly bought spares from them - very quick efficient service.

Nigel B

wilf
01-06-01, 11:20 AM
Joker - additional info for you. The SD1 rad has a bleed pipe running from the top r h corner , which I have run back to the header tank. This allows for complete elimination of air/air locks within the rad, which I believe is important, and is the cause of many overheating problems. Might be worth modifying your system if you can before you go to the expense of new fans??

Wilf

graham
01-06-01, 05:43 PM
With an engine like a 350 chevy, apart from correct radiator, fans. Is the size and height above engine of the header tank important an how do some of you chaps plumb yours?

Graham

nbracken
04-06-01, 09:34 PM
Graham, the size and location of the header is important. Basically needs to be as high as you can get it and large - the most popular seem to be those located immediately in front of the engine as per the original Cobras.

On my car it is fabricated from Stainless and tucked away inside the nearside wing at the top. One day I will change it to th type that go immediately in front of the engine.

Nigel B

graham
04-06-01, 11:37 PM
ta nbracken, Pumbing?

G