PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank

pilgrim3
01-01-11, 03:28 PM
high all was thinking of putting a fuel injection system on my cobra it runs on carbs just now .would i need to take the tank out to fit a pump to the tank or can you get a pump that can lift the fuel out in line on the pipe itself.

Sidecarbod
01-01-11, 03:34 PM
high all was thinking of putting a fuel injection system on my cobra it runs on carbs just now .would i need to take the tank out to fit a pump to the tank or can you get a pump that can lift the fuel out in line on the pipe itself.

I think that you could use an external pump that would be of high enough pressure to run EFI. The tank also has the return feed so that is also good news.

One thing that might not be great is the fact that the pickup in the tank can be exposed to air when the tank is only 1/4 full when cornering hard. My carb'd engine car will stutter a bit when this happens, an EFI system will die completely. A swirl tank would solve the problem but would add to the complexity. (If the tank was baffled properly in the first place that would help too!)

pilgrim3
01-01-11, 03:46 PM
I think that you could use an external pump that would be of high enough pressure to run EFI. The tank also has the return feed so that is also good news.

One thing that might not be great is the fact that the pickup in the tank can be exposed to air when the tank is only 1/4 full when cornering hard. My carb'd engine car will stutter a bit when this happens, an EFI system will die completely. A swirl tank would solve the problem but would add to the complexity. (If the tank was baffled properly in the first place that would help too!)

the engine is mfi a ford v6 so could i fit the pump on the pipes that come out the top of the tank.what sort of pumps are these or would any pump do this i take it as no and i would need one that can draw the fuel out.what do you mean by a baffle sorry not to god with fuel jargon.

Sidecarbod
01-01-11, 04:41 PM
the engine is mfi a ford v6 so could i fit the pump on the pipes that come out the top of the tank.what sort of pumps are these or would any pump do this i take it as no and i would need one that can draw the fuel out.what do you mean by a baffle sorry not to god with fuel jargon.

EFI is not really my thing, there are others on the have used the Ford V6 so I guess they will be of more help. There are after market pumps that will do the job. Check out the likes of Demon Tweaks. The PSI and the total flow in gallons per our are what is important. You would need to know the PSI that the EFI system requires.

A baffle is some method of damping out 'waves' or pressure pulses in a fluid or a gas. A fuel tank baffle could work along the lines of a horizontal plate in the fuel tank which forms a false bottom, it would have one hole in the middle that allowed the fuel to flow the the very bottom of the tank where the pickup for the fuel pump is located. A setup like this would be more likely to keep the pickup submerged during hard cornering. If the Pilgrim tank has a baffle then it dos not work too well, fitting one after the tank has been made would be very tricky. If you keep the tank 1/2 full and/or don't corner too hard then it might be OK.

Tonym ran an EFI system with a Rover V8, he may post up how his system was setup.

Steve
01-01-11, 05:58 PM
i know that gd fit trap doors and baffles in their fuel tanks if they are destined for an efi car......to avoid the stuttering and cutting out around corners.

realyweely
01-01-11, 06:28 PM
I had a 2.9 V6 in mine and used the standard Ford EFI fuel pump and filter mounted below the tank on the body work. The fuel filter is a big bugger and should act as a swirl pot as well as a filter.
The original 2.9 Granada had the pump and filter mounted just below the nearside of the fuel tank and used no swirl pot.

pilgrim3
03-01-11, 12:12 PM
I had a 2.9 V6 in mine and used the standard Ford EFI fuel pump and filter mounted below the tank on the body work. The fuel filter is a big bugger and should act as a swirl pot as well as a filter.
The original 2.9 Granada had the pump and filter mounted just below the nearside of the fuel tank and used no swirl pot.

thanks my engine is the 2.8 mfi v6 pretty much the same so does the fuel pump go in the fuel line and not the tank.i think the fuel tank on the pilgrim sumo is baffled to stop the fuel swirling round the tank.so thanks i think i can fit the pump in the fuel line which comes out the top of the tank