PDA

View Full Version : battery

graham
23-06-01, 12:31 AM
1/ What do owners recommend as to what 12v battery to use ie the cranking power to be used for 350SBC Chevy?

2/ What do owners to for a basic heater/demist setup, nice compact and neat (a mini one wont fit very well in my SR as a bit bulky) I beleive you need hot air demisters for SVA??

Graham

Bob
23-06-01, 09:03 AM
Europa sell a single speed heater which is 7.5"wide 6"deep and 6.25"long have at look page 132 in their book 01283 815609 is their number.

paul
23-06-01, 03:37 PM
Hi there
ref battery I can't remember what the amp/hr rating is on my car but if you go to your local Kwikfit and ask them (probably the same as a V12 Jag) also you can check on the sizes before you buy.
ref heater you only need a heater if you have a windscreen fitted as you must have the means to de-mist it you could try talking to Gary at DAX to see if their one will fit as it goes up in the passenger footwell (you can check on my car if you want)
cheers
Paul

nbracken
23-06-01, 11:31 PM
The thinest heater I could find and which I have been using now for the past 7 years is from a Reliant Robin - it is the truth.

Nigel B

graham
23-06-01, 11:58 PM
Well I suppose the odd BLmini bit slithers its way into a cobra so no reason not to have a bit of three wheeler in our beast.I shall give Trotters Independant Trading a call, lovelychubbly, cheers guys.

Pete
24-06-01, 12:39 PM
Hi, I slung my mini heater as far forward as pos in my Sumo and only connected it to the demist vents as I did'nt want the crummy knob sticking out of the dash, I then fitted a switch to power the heater fan. Now I have gentle warm air on the windscreen all the time, but with fan assistance for proper demisting.

If I was doing it again I would use the small electric demister from the Innovations catalogue (I think), its like a tiny hairdryer and less than 20, all you need to do is mount it and duct it accordingly - plus it blows hot from the word go - I dont know how efficient it is, but it cant be much worse than a mini heater!

Pete

wilf
25-06-01, 05:18 PM
Graham - you are right, you do need hot air demisting on the windscreen for SVA, but it could as easily come from a 12V hairdryer as a proper car heater unit. Have used a spitfire heater on my car - its only about 11/2" deep excluding the motor and cheap!

Wilf

Bob
25-06-01, 09:24 PM
I've done the same as Pete on my Sumo and for the same reason the dash looks much better without the nasty mini control knob. As for the SVA this is copied directly from the manual.
" Check that the vehicle is fitted with a system/systems capable of defrosting and demisting the windshield to allow the driver an adequate view of the road in front and foward of the nearside and off side of the vehicle.
A system using warm air to clear the screen must employ fan assistance and ducting to direct the air anto the screen and ensure effective operation under cold weather conditions.
An electrically heated screen must provide adequate heat and distribution to ensure effective operation.
Note the fitting of a device not perminently incorperated into the vehicle structure ie adhered to the windscreen or body surface shall not be considered as a "system fitted to the vehicle"
You can make of that what you will; but I read as fan assisted heated air is needed.

John Tisbury
25-06-01, 11:25 PM
Hi Graham

My battery is a Crompton with 670 cold cranking amps (CCA) That's the important bit as that figure as it denotes the rating for the battery.

Radiator. Like Wilf I've used a Spitfire radiator, 15 from a scrapyard. Very thin and two speed. I changed the outlets to mine to imporve the deminster vents onto the screen.

Regs
John

robert
25-06-01, 11:42 PM
Oohhh, you can never have too many cold cranking amps!!!! Try saying that when you're drunk.

Robert

The Whistler!

graham
26-06-01, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the info on those topics.

Graham