PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid

graham
26-06-01, 11:01 PM
I have BWT5 box and somebody recommended to me to use synthetic manual gear oil instead of the standard stuff, if so what do people use and where can you get it from?? (Halfords only sell Part synthetic or fully synthetic but for auto tran.)

Graham

paul
27-06-01, 07:51 PM
Real Steel recomended automatic transmission oil(as per BW) as a heavy gear oil sae90 will drag on the synchros I've now done 5000 miles and all seems to be ok
but if you realy want to make sure then contact BW
cheers
Paul

cobraman
27-06-01, 11:53 PM
Graham....It's an "American Thing"!...They like a light shift over there and can't be doing with having to push the stick about!!...(They're so used to autos you see!)...So they put auto transmission fluid in...this gives a lighter shift.
There's no evidence of increased wear,although it does make them more prone to leaks....I have a mate who just forked out for a brand new Tremec 5 speed..It came with the obligatory auto fluid,straight from the states...AND LEAKED FROM THE REAR SEAL!..STRAIGHT FROM THE CRATE!!...Only a drop or two on the garage floor..But I wouldn't be too happy about it!!....Anyway there you are!....DJ
P.s....I run Getrags..Which run on an Auto type fluid after 1988...normal 80/90 before.

callum
28-06-01, 08:50 PM
The real test for ATF as a gear oil is that it is sticky enough not to get squished out the way so synchroniser rings can match shaft speeds before you engage gears - important in a muscle car. ATF is not the best lubricant however which is why some people swear by Red Line MTL or similar. These synthetics match the physical characteristics of an ATF while providng the lubrication of a gear oil - important for bronze rings etc., lurking inside some boxes that ATF 'eats'. See the Red Line site for a techie sales pitch.

graham
28-06-01, 10:06 PM
Cheers once again

RigMan
05-07-01, 09:57 AM
>Graham....It's an "American Thing"!...They like a light shift over
>there and can't be doing with having to push the stick
>about!!...(They're so used to autos you see!)...So they put auto
>transmission fluid in...this gives a lighter shift.
> There's no evidence of increased wear,although it does make them
>more prone to leaks....I have a mate who just forked out for a brand
>new Tremec 5 speed..It came with the obligatory auto fluid,straight
>from the states...AND LEAKED FROM THE REAR SEAL!..STRAIGHT FROM THE
>CRATE!!...Only a drop or two on the garage floor..But I wouldn't be
>too happy about it!!....Anyway there you are!....DJ
> P.s....I run Getrags..Which run on an Auto type fluid after
>1988...normal 80/90 before.

Then he probably overfilled it!

RigMan.

imported_admin
05-07-01, 01:13 PM
I would use ATF, as per BW specs. Some T5's use carbon fiber syncros, and standard gear lube will destroy the syncros. Use a good synthetic ATF and you will never have any problems.

graham
05-07-01, 11:18 PM
Off on me bike to Halfords then, cheers.