PDA

View Full Version : What comes next?

Iain
07-07-01, 05:15 PM
Okay, so I've decided to not fit the V12 in my kit. Instead I've got (hopefully next Saturday) a Ford 351 Cleveland engine. However it is missing gearbox, inlet manifold, carbs and distributer. Originally the engine was auto but I'll be fitting a manual box. What are the recommendations for the missing parts and what am I looking at price wise?

Were these engines able to run lead free or are they date specific?
Thanks

Iain

imported_admin
07-07-01, 06:54 PM
No V12?? Now thats a shame! Seriously, the 351 Cleveland was produced in the States from 1970-1975. It is similiar to the 351 & 400 Modified engines, the difference being is the 351 Cleveland shares the bellhousing with the Windsor series engines (221-255-260-289-302-351). Use the parts from the bell housing back from any Windsor series engine. The starter is different from auto to standard, the difference being the nose cone. Be careful of 1982-later 5.0 HO engines. The flywheels used on these were balanced differently than other Windsors and Clevelands. For the intake and carb, I would just use aftermarket pieces designed for the Cleveland. The Cleveland shares distributor with the Modified and 385 series (429 and 460) so a distributor from any of these engines will work.

As far as your lead free question, I think Ford went to hardened seats in 1972? I am not sure on this one. Any machine shop should be able to install hardened seats for you. On a side note, the Cleveland series blocks are usually only good for a .030 overbore. Any more, and there is a possibility of hitting the waterjackets.

I hope some of this helps you.

kris

cobraman
08-07-01, 12:21 AM
***************************C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S **************
.....On picking a PROPER engine!!
One point I would mention from the start and rememeber this one....If the engine is Auto...and you want to change to manual...You HAVE to have the assembly re-balanced,so work that into your budget.
I favour Performer rather than Performer RPM,as you keep a better "Low end" with the former....Believe Me..You will NOT need power at 6,500 rpm into a Cleveland powered Cobra!
My advice,particularly in view of your budget,would be build as near stock as possible..properly balanced with headers and a nice inlet...forget the 400+bhp bragging rights!!...DJ

RigMan
08-07-01, 12:13 PM
...........as it was originally an Auto, don't forget that all important but small pilot bearing whch you will need to fit into the crankshaft to locate your gearbox input shaft. It is often forgotten!

RigMan.