PDA

View Full Version : Self Centre steering

cperry
20-01-11, 06:54 PM
hi folks, which way is best for my wheels to point for the IVA self centering test ?

Craig.

tonym
20-01-11, 06:56 PM
hi folks, which way is best for my wheels to point for the IVA self centering test ?

Craig.

Forwards, no need to thank me :p

kdavies3
20-01-11, 06:58 PM
I'd go with parallel for toe in/out, the main thing is to have your castor correct. :D

cperry
20-01-11, 07:18 PM
I'd go with parallel for toe in/out, the main thing is to have your castor correct. :D

I didn't think that was adjustable on a Pilgrim ??

robcob
20-01-11, 07:59 PM
I didn't think that was adjustable on a Pilgrim ??

Have you got the new chassis and wishbones,if so the castor from what i gather has been sorted out, all you need to do is set the toe and camber:cool:.

rob

Gazzab
20-01-11, 08:09 PM

Craig.

No toe in or out, make sure the camber is set at 0 the tyres not too soft about 26 psi from memory. If your steering rack like mine was from a P100 then you may need to limit the amount of turn at full lock. I used 2 jubilee clips one at each end uder the gaiters just so aboslute full lock was reduced. No adjustment to castor was needed. Mk 3 Sumo using Granada donor parts. It takes some time and you need to be able to test the self centering after making adjustments. After reading all the various comments on the forum I was concerned that it would be difficult to achieve however it was nothing to worry over. I just used two straight edges (flat bar) to set toe. I`m sure you`ll get good advice from other members just give it a try.

Gary :cool:

steve_h
23-01-11, 07:27 PM
As already said tyre pressures can be crucial to the self centreing I think mine were about 30psi and you can get the local tyre shop/ MOT station to set the toe, maybe on the way to the test?

Steve

cperry
24-01-11, 10:41 AM
spoke to Den at Pilgrim on Friday, he basically said the new upper wishbones moved the top ball joint rearward by about 10mm. Lower wishbones as current.

This made all self centering issues go away.