PDA

View Full Version : Engine Mount Torque Figure and Carb Balance Meter.

Trigger
22-07-01, 10:39 PM
Can anyone tell me the torque settings for the three bolts that hold the engine mounting bracket to the Rover 3500 block. I think the 2 side bolts are 7/16" or 1/2"UNC and the top deck one 5/16" or 3/8"UNC? Sorry to be a little vague about the sizes but I'm not at home at the moment so no access to the engine to check. The other question is, does anyone know where I can get a balance meter for the SU carbs on the SD1 3500? It fits across both the carb intakes simultaneously and the meter is in the middle of the tube assembly. I think it was a Rover service tool at one time. Thanks.

Trigger.

wilf
23-07-01, 03:55 PM
Trigger - can't help with the engine mount torque figures right now - also have given away my Haynes manual - could be a good place to find this info.
As for carb balance - I used to use a Gunsons "Carbalancer" - only fits onto one carb at a time, but I found it useful in setting the twin SU's up, and it's relatively cheap.

Hope this helps

Wilf

Trigger
23-07-01, 04:32 PM
Thanks Wilf. I have the Haynes SD1 manual but can't see the figures in there. If I can't get them I'll use the values for similar sized bolts elsewhere on the block. The Gunson unit I already have from use on an MGB, so I can use it. The unit I asked about looked really easy to use. You read the meter and adjusted either carb as required till the needle on the gauge read in the middle of the scale. Can't remember where I saw the picture now!!

Trigger.

wilf
24-07-01, 09:58 PM
Trigger - I too remember seeing the carb balancing device you mention - it did look an excellent piece of kit, but I've never seen one for sale anywhere. Probably was a service tool, costing several thousands of s. Might be worth asking a local Rover garage if they have one they don't use anymore???

Wilf

Trigger
24-07-01, 11:11 PM
Thanks again Wilf. I'll try that. If I have any luck I'll post on this item. I want to keep the SU's for the time being so I should have no problem with the SVA on emissions. Later on I may something else but I am anxious to get on the road.

Trigger.