PDA

View Full Version : Sierra 1.8 diff/driveshafts

trevbeadle
06-07-01, 12:21 PM
I have the offer of a 302 Chevy engine to replace the 2.8 V6 injection in my Pilgrim. Will the rear setup take it, bearing in mind I dont use the car for anything other than posing/shows. I've tried to find a Cosworth back end but all the breakers mention rocking horses and poo!
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Ta. :'(

agwebsites
06-07-01, 02:22 PM
What is the power rating of the engine? If it is standard it shouldn’t be a problem.
I personaly would move up to either XR4i, XR4x4 or Cosworth to be on the safe side but the 2.0 twin cam would be a cheaper option. Other advantages of moving to XR or Cossy is that you get rear disks and LSD, Cossy even gives you vented rear disks.
I can easily get you any of them if you want.
You may be interested in what I have said under the Fiero Factory discussion with regards to upgrade parts for the Sierra.

Andy

imported_admin
25-07-01, 01:58 PM
>What is the power rating of the engine? If it is standard it
>shouldn’t be a problem.
>I personaly would move up to either XR4i, XR4x4 or Cosworth to be on
>the safe side but the 2.0 twin cam would be a cheaper option. Other
>advantages of moving to XR or Cossy is that you get rear disks and
>LSD, Cossy even gives you vented rear disks.
>I can easily get you any of them if you want.
>You may be interested in what I have said under the Fiero Factory
>discussion with regards to upgrade parts for the Sierra.
>
>Andy

The Discovery Pilgrim build programme used Sierra drive shafts and diff with Chevy power. It seemed to last OK - tho' I don't knoqw when the programme was made.

agwebsites
25-07-01, 02:37 PM
I have only seen the video version, not the complete TV series. I did noticed in the video that he made a point of using a LSD dif, these are only found on the high spec Sierra and Granada such as Cosworth and some XRs.

I also noticed during the video that some of the parts used on the car that seemed to come off the Sierra, he had paid over the odds for, were in fact Granada parts, including the dif. This might have been explained in the TV series. The Granada parts are stronger than the Sierra and this may have been done because of the choice of engine, but I am only presuming that.

Regards,
Andy

imported_admin
27-07-01, 06:08 PM
best to used granada scorpio Lsd (muchly beefy)
Bigger shafts and rear disc breaks
:o