PDA

View Full Version : Sidepipe / Silencer Packing Material - Acoustafil

cobrap
02-02-11, 08:37 PM
I've been making some enquiries recently as to whether Acoustafil - an Exhaust Silencer/Pipe packing material already used by some Cobra owners as well as top flight luxury car manufacturers inc. Aston Martin - can be produced in 950mm widths so as to make packing a Cobra style sidepipe easier - rather than having to use two lengths of 400/500mm material.

The upshot is that it can and it works out at about the same price as similar spec'd product less than half the width (so effectively half the cost), but would be subject to a special order and minimum order quantity. The spec on offer is:

- ECR-glass Acoustafil product
- 950mm wide (co-joined)
- 1000gsm weight.

On average a pair of, say, standard DAX 5" sidepipes with a 2" baffle would require between 3-5 metres in length, depending on the level of sound deadening and thermal performance required. So if 10-12 or more individuals are interested then I would be able to put an order through with a lead time of I am told about a week.

Those interested may already know of the product, otherwise follow this link: ACOUSTAFIL (http://www.saveguard.com/exhausts/acoustafil2.htm). Also an interesting link to a Forum from last year: HERE (http://www.therevcounter.com/uk-motorbike-forum/53083-acoustafil-exhaust-wadding.html)

The cost will be 12.50 per linear metre.

I am content to process an order for CRC members if I have sufficient interest as well as payment up front.

:?::?::?:

pevans
02-02-11, 09:06 PM
Hi Robin,
Sounds interesting. I will send you a PM.

Thanks
Paul.

dolphinboy400
02-02-11, 10:50 PM
i was just about to buy some so i will wait until we know if we got enough people. deffinatly put my name down :D

cobrap
03-02-11, 11:49 AM
Hi Robin,
Sounds interesting. I will send you a PM.

Thanks
Paul.

i was just about to buy some so i will wait until we know if we got enough people. deffinatly put my name down :D

Paul / Danny,
Thanks. How many metres would each of you want please?

dolphinboy400
03-02-11, 04:06 PM
Paul / Danny,
Thanks. How many metres would each of you want please?

not too sure right now as my pipes are being made. Someone posted a calculator for this stuff but im buggered if i can find it.

will it be a metre in width and then how ever long we need to fill the void?

My pipes are 5" with 2.5" baffle. the length is the uncertain bit at the moment.

cobrap
03-02-11, 09:53 PM
not too sure right now as my pipes are being made. Someone posted a calculator for this stuff but im buggered if i can find it.

will it be a metre in width and then how ever long we need to fill the void?

My pipes are 5" with 2.5" baffle. the length is the uncertain bit at the moment.

Danny, yes, in essence, one width should cover the length of the sidepipe, then it's how many metres you need to fill the void, i.e. to wrap around the baffle before reinserting it into the pipe.

dolphinboy400
03-02-11, 10:32 PM
Acoustafil Calculator (http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/calc/calc2.asp)

thats the calculator i found , says i will need 5m each side.

Geezer
04-02-11, 12:12 AM
Danny, yes, in essence, one width should cover the length of the sidepipe, then it's how many metres you need to fill the void, i.e. to wrap around the baffle before reinserting it into the pipe.

Hi Robin

I am out of the country, atm, and cannot contact the company. In a previous discussion we came to the conclusion that their calculator is crap. An answer to a simple question is required from them to calculate how much filling is required and I wondered if you had come across it. I have 5" Dax cans with a 3" baffle. How many layers of Acoustafil would it take to fill the 1" void without being too tight or too loose? I believe the calculation for filling amount would then be fairly easy to do. An example of my case would be that if it only took two wraps, I could use the 1m x 600mm sheet. Ballpark figures are - 1 wrap around the baffle at about 9" and inside of the can at about 15" (obviously with some graduation between the two) would come out at around 600mm, give or take, with 1m being the length of the can. :smile:

cobrap
04-02-11, 08:21 PM
Acoustafil Calculator (http://www.thermalvelocity.co.uk/calc/calc2.asp)
thats the calculator i found , says i will need 5m each side.

I'm certain you won't need as much as that, but I'll get back to the company next week to get a more accurate means of calculating what's required.

Hi Robin
...An answer to a simple question is required from them to calculate how much filling is required...

...if it only took two wraps, I could use the 1m x 600mm sheet...1m being the length of the can. :smile:

Yes you could use a piece of 1m x 600mm and it might do the job just fine, at twice the cost. Your choice; but if you'd like to be a part of a Group Buy then I'd be very happy to get some packing material for you. As I said above, I'll check again on calculating req'ts with SaveGuard next week.

Geezer
04-02-11, 09:04 PM
I'm certain you won't need as much as that, but I'll get back to the company next week to get a more accurate means of calculating what's required.

Yes you could use a piece of 1m x 600mm and it might do the job just fine, at twice the cost. Your choice; but if you'd like to be a part of a Group Buy then I'd be very happy to get some packing material for you. As I said above, I'll check again on calculating req'ts with SaveGuard next week.

Thanks Robin. Don't think I am being ungrateful and would indeed like to be part of a group buy, once I know how much material I need. I only gave my example to illustrate my requirements if two wraps would be sufficient to fill a 1" void. Being out of the country (back Sun am) doesn't help but I hope to ask the company if they can define the volume expansion. I'll keep in touch. Thanks...:D

cobrap
04-02-11, 10:37 PM
No problem Pete. I'll carry on and confirm the calculations that they usually use and report back.

dolphinboy400
04-02-11, 10:48 PM
the calculator didnt calculate that i am a numpty and entered the distance as 2.5" when it is really 1.25" which geezer kindly reminded me :D

cobrap
05-02-11, 11:14 AM
the calculator didnt calculate that i am a numpty and entered the distance as 2.5" when it is really 1.25" which geezer kindly reminded me :D

You're not alone: I did the self same thing :!:

If it helps, I'm sure Daxman (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/members/daxman.html)won't mind me quoting him (as a user of Acoustafil (http://www.saveguard.com/exhausts/acoustafil2.htm)), who recently said in another Thread (HERE (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/dax-technical-questions/40904-winter-jobs.html)):
"The Acoustafil stuff is fantastic, you simply wrap it around your baffle pipe so it fills 3/4 of your sidepipes push it all in and start the engine up, the heat then melts the thread keeping it compressed and it expands to fill the pipe perfectly."
He also added that:
"I wrapped the perf tube to fill the void about 70% then put the pipes back together and started the engine. it seems to be about right, although if I redo them i might use a little less."

That's why I was going to go for the 50% fill option, that would potentially reduce the noise as well as heat even more: Or that's my theory anyway.

dolphinboy400
05-02-11, 01:58 PM
You're not alone: I did the self same thing :!:

If it helps, I'm sure Daxman (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/members/daxman.html)won't mind me quoting him (as a user of Acoustafil (http://www.saveguard.com/exhausts/acoustafil2.htm)), who recently said in another Thread (HERE (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/dax-technical-questions/40904-winter-jobs.html)):
"The Acoustafil stuff is fantastic, you simply wrap it around your baffle pipe so it fills 3/4 of your sidepipes push it all in and start the engine up, the heat then melts the thread keeping it compressed and it expands to fill the pipe perfectly."
He also added that:
"I wrapped the perf tube to fill the void about 70% then put the pipes back together and started the engine. it seems to be about right, although if I redo them i might use a little less."

That's why I was going to go for the 50% fill option, that would potentially reduce the noise as well as heat even more: Or that's my theory anyway.

so the looser the packing the less noise you acheive?

cobrap
05-02-11, 03:06 PM
Doubtless there's a fine line to be drawn regarding the approach to be taken, but that seems to be the general consensus.

I am guessing that if the packing has a chance to move a little more within the pipe, then the sound waves are more easily muffled, rather than if it was packed much tighter, then the sound would find it easier to reverberate straight through to the outside world.

The only analogy I can think of is: Imagine throwing a hard ball at a loosely filled bag of rags, it would emit a low, muffled thud. But if that same bag were to be packed to the gunnells with as many rags as you could get into it, the sound would be a slightly louder, clearer and higher pitch.

Neither way is wrong: It depends what you want the result to be.

cobrap
07-02-11, 08:56 PM
OK...Spoke to Saveguard again today and here is the synopsis.

They broadly base their packing density based on 130g per litre.
If you want it looser then fine. If you want it tighter, again, fine, it's up to you. Too loose and it'll have little effect (so I am advised).

The packing I am striking a deal for is rated at 1000g per sq metre.

The following post goes some way to providing the scores on the doors for various sidepipe and baffle sizes. Depending on what you have fitted, subtract one from the other and you end up with the volume of the void to be packed.

kdavies3
08-02-11, 07:31 AM
Good work Robin. :D
Is there a Nobel prize for exhaust repacking? :D

Paul B
08-02-11, 10:56 AM
When I repacked my Pilgrim pipes I used this stuff and have been pleased with the results.

As Robin is finding, the amount to use is a bit of a guess but I used one full wrap around the internal baffle and left it at that. After installation, which is sooooo easy, and a bit of a run to warm up the filling, it felt a bit louder than the previous glassfibre material and I was worried that I may have not put enough in but it stopped the annoying baffle rattle. Don't expect the noise to suddenly change once the stitches melt, it's a gradual thing.

Since then it has grown a little quieter but several people have commented that the car sounds nice and these are people who have heard the car before the change. Therefore, I can conclude that to my ears, it sounds a little bit more mellow, quieter on tickover with a nice noise when out to play!

However, how much to use is open for interpretation.

Paul

Geezer
08-02-11, 11:16 AM
Thanks should go to Robin for this, he has put in a lot of work. Before anyone uses the calculations for ordering... beware. I have tried to contact Robin but I guess he is busy. It gives me no pleasure to point out an error but I thought I would forewarn everyone and hopefully discuss the matter with Robin later. The problem is that the formula is Pi x (Radius squared) not (Pi x Radius) squared, for the area of a circle. It makes a big difference. Leave it with myself and Robin and we will sort it out.

tonym
08-02-11, 11:20 AM
Based on the principle of ∏ r2

SIDEPIPES

4" (100mm) sidepipe:
Area = (50mm)2x 3.142 = 7855mm2
Vol (based on 950mm long pipe) = 7,462,250mm3
--------------------------------------------------------
5" (125mm) sidepipe:
Area = (62.5mm)2x 3.142 = 12,273mm2
Vol (based on 950mm long pipe) = 11,659,765mm3
------------------------------------------------

BAFFLES

2" (50mm) baffle:
Area = (25mm)2x 3.142 = 1,963mm2
Vol (based on 950mm long pipe) = 1,865,562mm3
-----------------------------------------------
2.5" (62.5mm) baffle:
Area = (31.25mm)2x 3.142 = 3,068mm2
Vol (based on 950mm long pipe) = 2,914,941mm3
3" (75mm) baffle:
Area = (37.5mm)2x 3.142 = 4,418mm2
Vol (based on 950mm long pipe) = 4,197,915mm3

Fixed it for you, it's the radius that's squared then multiplied by pi. I'll let you do the calculations on the other post yourself :p:p

Bugger, beaten to it whilst working it out

Geezer
08-02-11, 11:24 AM
Fixed it for you, it's the radius that's squared then multiplied by pi. I'll let you do the calculations on the other post yourself :p:p

Bugger, beaten to it whilst working it out

Thanks Tony. I was hoping to contact Robin first so that he could post the correct volumes. Still, that'll save us some time... :D

snakebite
08-02-11, 11:42 AM
A good post, would it pay to have this as a "sticky" under the technical section as would be useful for any new builders or replacement exhausts?

Geezer
08-02-11, 04:32 PM
I have been supplied a calculator from Saveguard. I can't post a link as it has caveats as to passing it on with out permission. If you post Can diameter, Perforated baffle tube diameter and length to be filled, I will plug it into their calculator. The results are also dependant on the weight of fill required, as mentioned earlier.

cobrap
08-02-11, 04:53 PM
Pete / Big Tone,
Well I nearly got a result . . . . . B*GGER!!!!

I think for my piece of mind and in case anyone reads my posts in isolation, I'll try and get the last one removed, then I'll re-post with the correct figures, based on Tone's corrections.

When that's done, it might be worth posting a Sticky for future reference as this has turned into a bit of an adventure.

Meanwhile, thanks for your patience.

cobrap
08-02-11, 05:58 PM
OK, so let's try again and wrap it all up in one Post.

Based on the principle of ∏ r2 - with particular attention to the 'squared' bit :rolleyes: , means that (as advised by Pete and Tony):

SIDEPIPES

4" (100mm) sidepipe:
Area = (50mm)2x 3.142 = 7855mm2
Vol (based on 950mm long pipe) = 7,462,250mm3
--------------------------------------------------------
5" (125mm) sidepipe:
Area = (62.5mm)2x 3.142 = 12,273mm2
Vol (based on 950mm long pipe) = 11,659,765mm3

BAFFLES

2" (50mm) baffle:
Area = (25mm)2x 3.142 = 1,963mm2
Vol (based on 950mm long pipe) = 1,865,562mm3
2.5" (62.5mm) baffle:
Area = (31.25mm)2x 3.142 = 3,068mm2
Vol (based on 950mm long pipe) = 2,914,941mm3
3" (75mm) baffle:
Area = (37.5mm)2x 3.142 = 4,418mm2
Vol (based on 950mm long pipe) = 4,197,915mm3

So, based on these CORRECTED figures:

Given that 1000mm3 = 0.001L
For a 5" Sidepipe with a 2" baffle: 11,659,765mm3 - 1,865,562mm3 = a void to be filled = 9,794,203mm3, or 9.794L.

Therefore @ 130g packing density per litre: The 5" sidepipe with a 2" baffle would require 1,273 grammes of packing material.

Therefore material based on a spec of 1000g vol per sq. metre requires approx. 1.25sq metres per pipe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To pack the same size pipe slightly looser (@ 100g per litre) would require 979 grammes, requiring approx. 1.00 sq. metres material per pipe.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To pack the same size pipe more tightly (@ 150g per litre) would require 1,469 grammes, requiring approx 1.50 sq. metres material per pipe.

I'll state again though that the very helpful fella from Saveguard that I spoke to also commented that the photo on their website showing just a couple of winds of the material inside the silencer was an 'ambitious' target and in reality was not realistic.

Sorry for the cock-ups in the calculations provided in the earlier Posts. Hopefully this will help individuals decide on the quantities they feel they need.

If enough people are interested then the offer still stands to order a bulk quantity at a very attractive rate. Also, speak to Pete (Geezer) if you need to as he now has a nifty little calculator to quickly work out your needs, based on your individual pipe/baffle combinations.

Cheers everyone.

dolphinboy400
08-02-11, 07:47 PM
so did they actually say that the looser the packing ( within reason ) the quieter the pipes would be? Let us know if you get enough orders, another week and i should have some more info about mine.

Thanks for all the work you have done so far :)

cobrap
08-02-11, 11:30 PM
so did they actually say that the looser the packing ( within reason ) the quieter the pipes would be? Let us know if you get enough orders, another week and i should have some more info about mine.

Thanks for all the work you have done so far :)

Danny,
No, Saveguard didn't: That view has come from evidence found elsewhere using packing materials, including other Threads posted on this Forum.

As far as the Acoustafil product is concerned, I can only refer you to Paul B's comments above, as well as Daxman's elsewhere. I guess that if you want to play safe, then go for the recommended 130g per Litre packing density.

Geezer
09-02-11, 12:42 PM
Danny,
No, Saveguard didn't: That view has come from evidence found elsewhere using packing materials, including other Threads posted on this Forum.

As far as the Acoustafil product is concerned, I can only refer you to Paul B's comments above, as well as Daxman's elsewhere. I guess that if you want to play safe, then go for the recommended 130g per Litre packing density.

I have spoken again to Keith at Saveguard regarding the copyright on their calculator. He has allowed me to post it on the Forum subject to everyone being aware it has been supplied by Saveguard. Problem is that the Forum doesn't allow posting of an Excel Worksheet. Contact me by PM for full calculation. I need Can diameter, Perf baffle diameter and length. I will screenshot the results or, at worse, supply the various fill ratios. Hopefully we could then move forward through Robin and order the stuff... :D

cobrap
09-02-11, 05:21 PM
Thanks for your help Pete. Much appreciated ;)

cobrap
10-02-11, 08:49 PM
So then, let the orders begin:

Cobrap: 2 sq metres

I need to order 30+ metres to satisfy the minimum order qty @ the price quoted.

Assuming we get enough orders, I'd prefer payment via either a BACS transaction, or PayPal; but we can sort all of that out via PMs etc.

cobrap
10-02-11, 10:11 PM
Update....

Neil Still Building It: 3 sq metres

Assuming we get enough orders, I'd prefer payment via either a BACS transaction, or PayPal; but we can sort all of that out via PMs etc.

Geezer
11-02-11, 06:39 AM

Geezer: 2 sq metres

Fixed...:D

goughy
13-02-11, 07:24 AM
Hi Pete, if you would be good enough to fix it for me please. Cant figure out how to add my name into the list. Have a Dax with 5" pipes but I dont know the baffle size so going for 3 lin mtrs.
What will happen about distibution of the stuff Robin? Looks like I am a distance away from the rest of you interested ones
Rgds
Dave

Geezer
13-02-11, 08:29 AM
Hi Pete, if you would be good enough to fix it for me please. Cant figure out how to add my name into the list. Have a Dax with 5" pipes but I dont know the baffle size so going for 3 lin mtrs.
What will happen about distibution of the stuff Robin? Looks like I am a distance away from the rest of you interested ones
Rgds
Dave

Hi Dave

Whip the rear cap off of the pipes and measure the baffle diameter. If it is 3" you will require 1m/side. If it is 2" you will need 1.5m/side. No point in wasting money...:D Have put you down for 3 sq mtrs based on 1m width.

Dave: 3 sq metres

goughy
13-02-11, 02:44 PM
Hi Pete
Thanks for the help

Regards
Dave

cobrap
13-02-11, 05:32 PM
Goughy: 3 sq metres

1/3 way there. Another 4-5 requests and I'll process an order as it's too good an offer to miss.

...I could sell the rest on eBay and retire to the Bahamas :DLOL:D

dolphinboy400
13-02-11, 07:30 PM
as soon as i know i'll post it up :D

383 stroker
13-02-11, 08:04 PM
Oh go on then, put me down for some, sounds like good stuff and i am in tinkering mood. I'll go for 2 sq.m.

Does it fill holes in cob bodies if i don't like my body mods?:eek:;)

Geezer
13-02-11, 09:10 PM
Oh go on then, put me down for some, sounds like good stuff and i am in tinkering mood. I'll go for 2 sq.m.

Does it fill holes in cob bodies if i don't like my body mods?:eek:;)

At least it will give you some thing to add to your list... Exhaust packing x2... ;)

383stroker: 2 metres

tigergreen
13-02-11, 09:15 PM
Thanks for doing the calcs, Pete.
Put me down for 1 metre.

Cheers,
Andy.

383 stroker
13-02-11, 10:45 PM
Thanks for reminding me Pete, although as exhaust packing is a consumable in my pipes it just might get left off the signature.:D

However i am beginning to suspect that my car is trying to escape from me .......bit by bit.:-(:rolleyes:

Geezer
13-02-11, 10:55 PM
Thanks for doing the calcs, Pete.
Put me down for 1 metre.

Cheers,
Andy.

383stroker: 2 sq metres
tigergreen: 1 sq metre

Fixed it for you... :D

Geezer
13-02-11, 10:57 PM
Thanks for reminding me Pete, although as exhaust packing is a consumable in my pipes it just might get left off the signature.:D

However i am beginning to suspect that my car is trying to escape from me .......bit by bit.:-(:rolleyes:

This stuff won't be... hopefully. :D

pevans
14-02-11, 03:02 PM
Hi Robin, Can you put me down for 1 Metre please.

Paul.

Geezer
14-02-11, 03:15 PM
Hi Robin, Can you put me down for 1 Metre please.

Paul.

pevans: 1 sq metre

Fixed... :D

cobrap
14-02-11, 08:52 PM
Dolphinboy400: tbc

Wow, you turn your back for a moment and :eek:...
Thanks for maintaining the growing list Pete.

cobrap
14-02-11, 08:57 PM
...What will happen about distibution of the stuff Robin? Looks like I am a distance away from the rest of you interested ones
Rgds
Dave

Hi Dave,
I intend to post it out to pretty much everyone.
I'll try and work out likely weights for P&P, but shouldn't be much.

cobrap
14-02-11, 08:59 PM
as soon as i know i'll post it up :D

OK Danny, that should be fine.
Have you a likely date by which you'll know:?:

dolphinboy400
14-02-11, 09:10 PM
OK Danny, that should be fine.
Have you a likely date by which you'll know:?:

i am hoping to hear from them this week if not i will give them a ring at the weekend and see if i can get them to agree a length. I rekkon i would probably order 3m to be on the safe side. They did say they would do the collectors 1st as that is the tricky bit.

cobrap
14-02-11, 09:18 PM
i am hoping to hear from them this week if not i will give them a ring at the weekend and see if i can get them to agree a length. I rekkon i would probably order 3m to be on the safe side. They did say they would do the collectors 1st as that is the tricky bit.

OK, that's cool.

cobrap
14-02-11, 09:37 PM
...What will happen about distibution of the stuff Robin? Looks like I am a distance away from the rest of you interested ones
Rgds
Dave

Checked likely postage costs and I reckon that 3.00 P&P per order should cover it. Is that OK with everyone:?:

Of course if anyone wants to collect, or meet at a show I'm going to etc., then that would be fine.

dolphinboy400
20-02-11, 08:57 AM
Ok ive spoke to them and mine will be 1m long, 5" side pipe , 2.5" baffle. I want the quietest combo possible but i was guessing at 3m.

If one of you kind gents with that calculator could run it through that would be great :D

Geezer
20-02-11, 09:47 AM
Ok ive spoke to them and mine will be 1m long, 5" side pipe , 2.5" baffle. I want the quietest combo possible but i was guessing at 3m.

If one of you kind gents with that calculator could run it through that would be great :D

Hi Danny

Based on the packing density recommended it works out at 1.35m/ side, so 3m will cover it. As regards the density required for greatest sound reduction... it seems to be agreed that a looser packing will do this but there isn a danger of you packing so loose it would move around. I would stick with the calculated density if I were you. :D

dolphinboy400
20-02-11, 12:18 PM
Hi Danny

Based on the packing density recommended it works out at 1.35m/ side, so 3m will cover it. As regards the density required for greatest sound reduction... it seems to be agreed that a looser packing will do this but there isn a danger of you packing so loose it would move around. I would stick with the calculated density if I were you. :D

many thanks for that. Put me down for 3m then please :D

Geezer
20-02-11, 02:31 PM
many thanks for that. Put me down for 3m then please :D

Sorted... :D

Dolphinboy400: 3 sq metres

Gonch
28-02-11, 09:45 PM
Hi all,
I can't get my dimensions as I'm away till Saturday, but I'm guessing 3m should cover it if you would be so kind to add me to the list.

Thanks

Fraz

Steve
01-03-11, 10:42 AM
can you also put me down for 1m please

Jeremy Oddie
01-03-11, 01:35 PM
Robin, just found this:roll: and have added myself to the list

Jeremy Oddie: 3sq metres

Many Thanks:D

Steve
01-03-11, 02:01 PM
and me

Steve 1 metre

Gonch
01-03-11, 04:23 PM
Added it

Steve 1 metre
Gonch: 3 metres

383 stroker
02-03-11, 12:27 PM
A quick adjustment to my qty. just in case;):rolleyes:

383stroker: 3 sq metres
Steve 1 metre

dolphinboy400
02-03-11, 04:33 PM
5 m more then we got a deal going :D we are allmost there.

cobrap
02-03-11, 06:13 PM
5 m more then we got a deal going :D we are allmost there.

Yep. In fact I'll PM everyone at the weekend with totals due + payment option details and go with the order anyway, even if we're still a few metres short, as I'm sure everyone wants to get on with their repacking before Spring hits us, plus the remainder should go fairly quickly.

To recap though:
- Material is 12.50 per running metre
- P&P is 3 per order on top
- payment options will be either by PayPal, BACS or (if you really must) cheque.

In summary:

Steve: 1 metre

Regards,

tigergreen
02-03-11, 06:47 PM
If it helps cement the deal, I'm happy to increase my order from one to two metres.
Cheers,
Andy.

cobrap
02-03-11, 07:57 PM
If it helps cement the deal, I'm happy to increase my order from one to two metres.
Cheers,
Andy.

Your choice Tiger' ;) - Very kind.

Seriously, if that's what you'd rather do then that's fine, but I will be putting in order anyway after I've collected the monies in, so do not feel obliged.

tigergreen
02-03-11, 08:20 PM
Your choice Tiger' ;) - Very kind.

Seriously, if that's what you'd rather do then that's fine, but I will be putting in order anyway after I've collected the monies in, so do not feel obliged.

Yep. increase it to 2 metres.
If I don't use it all I reckon I can pass on excess to one or two mates with 'sevens' and repackable silencers who'll make good use of it.
Andy.

cobrap
02-03-11, 10:51 PM
Yep. increase it to 2 metres.
If I don't use it all I reckon I can pass on excess to one or two mates with 'sevens' and repackable silencers who'll make good use of it.
Andy.

Cool, no problem.

So the current order is:

tigergreen: 2 sq metre
Steve: 1 metre

cobrap
05-03-11, 05:37 PM
For those of you who have placed an order, you each should have a PM.

Many thanks.

dolphinboy400
06-03-11, 07:24 AM
For those of you who have placed an order, you each should have a PM.

Many thanks.

PM sent back :D

tigergreen
06-03-11, 01:06 PM
PM replied to from me too...

Cheers,
Andy.

cobrap
06-03-11, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys.

383 stroker
07-03-11, 08:12 PM
also sent pm

cobrap
08-03-11, 06:13 PM
Packing ordered today. Should be with me by end of week, subject to Courier delivering when someone's in!

If so, I then intend posting out to everyone next week.

Cheers,

dolphinboy400
08-03-11, 08:55 PM
cheers for the update Robin :)

cobrap
13-03-11, 11:38 PM
You will all be pleased to know that your packing arrived safely and I have been busy re-packing it all tonight, ready for despatch to you all tomorrow (Monday).

Packages will be posted 1st class Recorded and should be with you Tuesday or Wednesday.

I also managed to repack my exhausts today, but didn't have time to bed the Acoustafil in yet. Interesting times getting the old stuff out (with the help of a friend of mine) then driving back with no wadding at all!! (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/dax-technical-questions/41295-dax-sidepipe-fixings-2.html#post390837)

dolphinboy400
14-03-11, 07:25 AM
You will all be pleased to know that your packing arrived safely and I have been busy re-packing it all tonight, ready for despatch to you all tomorrow (Monday).

Packages will be posted 1st class Recorded and should be with you Tuesday or Wednesday.

I also managed to repack my exhausts today, but didn't have time to bed the Acoustafil in yet. Interesting times getting the old stuff out (with the help of a friend of mine) then driving back with no wadding at all!! (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/dax-technical-questions/41295-dax-sidepipe-fixings-2.html#post390837)

good stuff. Dont forget to post pics and how much you used :D

Thanks again for organising this.

cobrap
14-03-11, 06:22 PM
No pics I'm afraid. I did think about it, but wanted to concentrate on getting job done rather than faff about with a camera as well.

I ended up packing the sidepipes to 100gsm, which for the 5" pipe with a 3" baffle worked out at 0.75m per pipe. Time will tell if it was the right choice. As I said previously, there are bike manufacturers who pack their exhausts up 150+gsm and claim a performance boost as a result. Each to their own I guess.

Anyway, hope all the parcels arrive OK and many thanks for your support as well as swift payment.

383 stroker
15-03-11, 09:22 AM
Yippee! It all arrived safe and sound first thing today. :-D

Once again many thanks for your hard work in organising this group buy.

Geezer
15-03-11, 11:25 AM
Yep, mine has just pitched up too. Fancy snipping a bit off and getting the heat gun on it just to see how much it expands...

Many thanks to Robin who has obviously put a lot of work into sorting this out, what with packing, posting and no doubt a little trouble on the way.

A definite beer is called for if we cross paths again. Cheers...:-D

Jeremy Oddie
15-03-11, 01:29 PM
Robin, mine turned up taoday. Many thanks for all your efforts:)

Regards

dolphinboy400
15-03-11, 06:38 PM
mine turned up also :D

Gonch
15-03-11, 08:24 PM
Snap, mine also arrived.

Thanks again Robin

tigergreen
15-03-11, 10:09 PM
Yep.
Got mine too.
Thanks very much for all your time and effort on this, Robin.

Andy.

neil still building it
16-03-11, 03:01 PM
mine arrived safely too,
many thanks robin,
awesome effort ,its helped us all no end
cheers
neil:)

goughy
16-03-11, 03:13 PM
Hi Robin
Arrived safely. Thanks for your efforts.
Regards
David

cobrap
18-03-11, 10:17 PM
Glad the goods arrived.

Now I guess you'll all be busy this weekend 'tuning & toning' your exhausts.

It'll be interesting to hear how the various projects pan out.....

dolphinboy400
18-03-11, 11:53 PM
ive been to have a look at my exhaust today , in component form. Should be ready for 1st fix end of next week :D ( i have a feeling 5" maybe too big :rolleyes: )

tonym
19-03-11, 02:38 AM

Robin, have you any spare or has it all been allocated??

cobrap
19-03-11, 01:11 PM
Robin, have you any spare or has it all been allocated??

Sorry Tony, but all I have is the odd remnant, the biggest of which is 750mm x 210mm: Probably only big enough for a bike baffle?

tonym
19-03-11, 01:17 PM
Sorry Tony, but all I have is the odd remnant, the biggest of which is 750mm x 210mm: Probably only big enough for a bike baffle?

No worries Robin, I've watched this thread as I do all others but it never occurred to me that I'll need some of this stuff soon till yesterday :roll: :mrgreen:

shuggy69
26-03-11, 07:21 PM
Hello All,
Have any of you tried it yet?. I'm itching to find out if this stuff is any good.
Very interested to know if you cars now sound like beasts or hair dyers (only joking).
Took my exhausts apart today Dax 5" with 2" baffle and found no wadding what so ever not even a remnant so suspect never had any. Perks of living in Cornwall, no other cobras around to compare the sound with so just assumed thats how much noise it should make. I'm hoping that acoustafil will give it a lowdown V8 rumble rather than sounding like a fishing boat as it does at the moment (when your sitting in it anyway). I am hoping to hear your feedback before taking the plunge. If I didn't like the sound I'm concerned I'd never get the stuff back out again.
Anyway any info would be gratefully received.
Thanks,
Simon

goughy
27-03-11, 08:00 AM
Hi all
Like you Simon, I'm looking for any feedback. Trying to pluck up the courage to do mine. Must confess that even with all the info on this thread, I'm still unsure how much to use!!
Regards
David

aaronjb
27-03-11, 08:43 AM
Hi all
Must confess that even with all the info on this thread, I'm still unsure how much to use!!

Surely the answer to that is simple...

Just enough. But not too much.

;) Sorry, I know, that didn't help at all, did it!

cobrap
29-03-11, 08:30 PM
Hello All,
Have any of you tried it yet?...
Took my exhausts apart today Dax 5" with 2" baffle and found no wadding what so ever not even a remnant so suspect never had any...
I'm hoping acoustafil will give it a lowdown V8 rumble rather than sounding like a fishing boat...
I'm concerned I'd never get the stuff back out again...
Any info would be gratefully received...
Simon
Hi Simon. I'll try and address your concerns in order:
- Re-packed my exhausts two weeks ago and with limited time I've had on road to bed it in (due to other problems with Distributor - see separate Thread!!!), it's sounding great.
- What you never had you'll never miss I guess, but the wadding/packing will provide a lower rumble rather than a flatulent blast. HOWEVER possibly more importantly it'll keep the temperature of your 5" pipes down quite considerably, so you and your passengers are less likely to burn yourselves so badly (I have heard that without packing, sidepipes can run almost red-hot and potentially damage the finish).
- I can't guarantee that once fitted you'll never get it out, but if you do what I did and slightly under-pack it (see some of the earlier posts about packing densities - Like HERE (http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/group-buys/41271-sidepipe-silencer-packing-material-acoustafil-3.html#post387431)) then I reckon you'll be fine - plus it should last for quite a few years I'd have thought.
Hope that helps.

Hi all
Like you Simon, I'm looking for any feedback. Trying to pluck up the courage to do mine. Must confess that even with all the info on this thread, I'm still unsure how much to use!!
Regards
David
David, what pipes have you got?