PDA

View Full Version : Shocking Rear End

mikey
31-07-01, 05:54 PM
Forum is terrific. Thanks to all who responded which has helped me deduce that stepping out is probably just down to driver enthusiasm and cobra characteristics. Would like to improve handling though. Intend to give rear end a good going over during winter (she should enjoy this). I’ve never been impressed with the non progressive Dax standard Spax shockers which are early non-gas models but used only 8000mls - have these improved? These stiffen very suddenly with little adjustment, then rock hard. Has anybody used an alternative on their Dax or other replica worth considering.
Mike.

imported_admin
31-07-01, 09:56 PM
Mike,

I have just replaced all 6 shox & springs on my Dax (1985 chassis) with a complete new set from DJ and it really has transformed the car.

Before, I always felt the suspension was too stiff for a road car, which was great for fast cornering on smooth roads, but a little impractical for anything other than a quick blast. Now the car is much more comfortable to take on long journeys and it's still great fun in the twisty bits.

Before I laid out all that cash I did a little research, and found very little to recommend fitting anything other than what DJ specified. It looked like I would need to do quite a lot of measuring and setting up, with the possibility of making some expensive mistakes. Half an hour talking to Gary and Peter at one of the shows finally convinced me that it would be a lot easier to tap into their experience and fit the same set up that DJ currently use. Looking back, I'm pleased that I did.

HTH :-)

Paul

mikey
01-08-01, 01:07 PM
Thanks Paul, its good to know as I do rate D.J. sportscars and I would prefer to buy from them given the service they have provided me with in the past.
Are the shockers now gas assisted? ie when you push the piston it returns to extended position rather than stay where it is. My Chassis is also the early type, so hopefully I should get a similar improvement. Presumably you will be on the Dolomite steering rack etc. Do you get a lot of feedback from the wheels and the car wanting to follow hollows etc or have the new shockers improved this also.
Mike.:-)

imported_admin
01-08-01, 09:07 PM
Hi Mike,

>Are the shockers now gas assisted? ie when you push the piston it
>returns to extended position rather than stay where it is.

They are Spax Gas Absorbers, but when fitting them I didn't check for 'gas assistance', maybe I was a little too eager to get everything fitted! but I don't recall them returning to their extended position. I did take measurements off them before fitting, so I would of thought I'd notice if they did automatically extend. Sorry I can't be any clearer.

>Presumably you will be on the Dolomite steering rack etc.

Yes, mine is fitted with a modified Dolomite rack, different track rod length if I remember right.

>Do you get a lot of feedback from the wheels and the car wanting to
>follow hollows etc or have the new shockers improved this also.

I haven't noticed any real problem with the steering, the feedback can be a little vague at low speeds, but at normal road speeds it feels pretty good.
I found that the whole suspension set up is quite critical though, and I believe that the tyre sizes and pressures can make quite a difference.

The only time I did have a problem with the front wheels tracking road imperfections, was when the front lower wishbone ball joints started to show signs of excessive play. To quickly check for this, you need to place a jack under the front lower wishbone and raise the wheel a few inches off the ground. Get somebody to (carefully) use a long lever under the tyre to try to lift and then lower the wheel while you feel for play in the ball joint. They should check for this on the MOT test!
I've since fitted the newer sealed type of ball joints and had no more problems.

If you want any more info or measurements etc. just let me know and I can send them on to you.

Good luck :-)

Paul