PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar front bearing end float - how to check?

nbracken
28-07-01, 09:12 PM
I want to check the end float on the front bearings which are from a Jag XJ. I don't have a dial test indicator.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this or do I just have to get the tool?

Thanks

Nigel B:'(

imported_admin
30-07-01, 09:02 AM
I set my front bearing as the jag haynes manual said ie tighten nut and then loosen 1 or 2 flats,but found when I put wheel back on there was a lot of play,so I did nut up 1 flat which made hub feel tight and fitted split pin.Once wheel was on no play in bearing and no binding or heating up after a run.I've checked them a couple of time since (about 300 miles) and all seems well.
Hope this helps

Steve g.

wilf
31-07-01, 12:59 PM
Nigel - I did the same as Steve - pulled up the adjusting nut tighter than recommended in the manual, checked by rocking the wheel (holding it at top and bottom) to ensure there was just a little play, by inference I assumed there was still a little endfloat. Seems to be OK after 2000 miles since I adjusted them like that.

Hope this helps

Wilf

RigMan
31-07-01, 10:24 PM
I concur with the above two posts, just remember that the new bearings will/or should have been packed a little with grease. This will run out after a bit of running and may make the wheel a little bit more lose, neccesitating (sp) a little tightening......one flat or so!

RigMan:D

cobraman
02-08-01, 11:20 AM
use a feeler gauge between the nut and the large washer behind it....push the hub fully in(pressing on the washer),then test for 3-5 thou..not ideal,but then the whole hub design isn't!!....DJ

martin_t
18-03-07, 10:30 PM
use a feeler gauge between the nut and the large washer behind it....push the hub fully in(pressing on the washer),then test for 3-5 thou..not ideal,but then the whole hub design isn't!!....DJ

Hi

Having a similar dilema!! How do I check the end float when building up the hub off the car? I have bolted the hub to disc, and put this onto the stub axle, put bearings on and tightened enough to get the pin through the hole at the end of the stub axle. Where do I measure the end float? Is it at the back of the carrier between the nut and thick washer? can this be done off the car?

Thanks

Martin

gareth08
18-03-07, 10:45 PM
Simple solution.

scrap that rubbish jag gear and get some ford gear. :D :D

I'm off to bed now :)

after the day I've had you'd understand :x :(

martin_t
18-03-07, 11:01 PM
Simple solution.

scrap that rubbish jag gear and get some ford gear. :D :D

I'm off to bed now :)

after the day I've had you'd understand :x :(

Whoops!!!

Sleep tight!! :D

Miket
18-03-07, 11:05 PM
Don't bother measuring anything, just follow Wilf's advice in the post above. :wink: :wink:

Another record of a post resurrected from 2001. :D

dave
19-03-07, 07:33 PM
Hi Mike.
I was just thinking who the F is "admin" . I was begining to think it was another alias for Ricky. Then i spotted "rigman" who hasn't been around for a year or two now and realised what was going on. :? :?