PDA

View Full Version : fuel swirl pots

pilgrim3
19-02-11, 03:59 PM
Hi i am thinking of fitting a fuel swirl pot. would the bosch in line fuel pump be strong enough to bring the fuel out of the top of the tank and through the swirl pot,or would i need another fuel pump to draw the fuel to the swirl pot first then on to the second pump.has anyone done this on the 2.8 fuel injected engine before .cheers

tonym
19-02-11, 04:13 PM
I never used a swirl pot on my old efi sumo, I didn't suffer any problems but that doesn't necessarily mean that you wont though :D

Sidecarbod
19-02-11, 04:15 PM
Hi i am thinking of fitting a fuel swirl pot. would the bosch in line fuel pump be strong enough to bring the fuel out of the top of the tank and through the swirl pot,or would i need another fuel pump to draw the fuel to the swirl pot first then on to the second pump.has anyone done this on the 2.8 fuel injected engine before .cheers

The normal method is to use a low pressure pump to get the fuel into the pot, I believe that the top of the pot usually has a return into the main tank. This may cause your one pump system not to work anyway because unless the return is below the level of fuel in the main tank your pump will try to suck air. Even if it is below the level then the air in the swirl pot will be so 'elastic' that the pump might not be able to suck the fuel from the main tank into the pot.

At the end of the day a low pressure pump should not cost big bucks anyway. (Although they can be noisy and you have to find space for it AND the pot)

A facet red or silver top would do.

BTW fitting a swirl pot is a good idea, I can even run the carb dry in my Sumo just by cornering hard if the tank is only 1/3 full. With EFI they motor would completely die. (My motor just complains for a second or so)

Note to Den...better tank baffles please! :p

Firestarter29
19-02-11, 04:17 PM
I tried this when I installed my 2.9 24V Cosworth BoA lump. It worked fine until my French trip when I had a fuel starvation issue, although this could have been due to hot weather vaporising the fuel in the pipe.

Northampton Motorsport who did some remedial work on this issue suspected that the fact that in the Sumo fuel is sucked up and out of the top of the tank may not have helped the starvation issue, so they modified the tank so the swirl pot was fed from the bottom of the tank via a pump.

No issues to date but then the weather has not been anywhere near as warm as France in the last 18 months to see if a cure has been effected.

pilgrim3
19-02-11, 04:22 PM
thanks for the advice guys,i will try a lifting pump to just to be safe .does that mean you will need two pump relays as well.

Sidecarbod
19-02-11, 04:43 PM
thanks for the advice guys,i will try a lifting pump to just to be safe .does that mean you will need two pump relays as well.

I don't think my pump runs though a relay, maybe that's an EFI thing?

A Facet pump does not pull much current, you'll be fine just powering the thing up without a relay. Or you could power both pumps from one relay.

pilgrim3
19-02-11, 04:54 PM
Thanks the facet red top pump is that the long shaped pump i see they have a solid state pump to not to sure which one is the lifting pump or do all pumps lift fuel

Sidecarbod
19-02-11, 05:05 PM
Thanks the facet red top pump is that the long shaped pump i see they have a solid state pump to not to sure which one is the lifting pump or do all pumps lift fuel

They will all lift to a degree. I think that EFI pumps tend to not be able to lift (suck) fuel well.

The Facet cube pumps are being phased out for a new type, there was a thread running a week or so ago about them. They look alright and might be less noisy than the cylinder shaped ones.

Any of the Facet pumps will lift the fuel well enough for your needs.