PDA

View Full Version : Removing gearbox (LT77)

martin_t
26-02-11, 09:57 AM
Hi

Has anyone taken the gearbox out of their GD (without removing the engine)? I have another post running under the "General Forum" explaining I have issues with gear selection. Thought it may be easier the take the box out, but looking at the format of the chassis etc (GD Mk4 GDJAG), it looks a bit challenging!
Has anyone done this?

Regards

Martin

shadow
26-02-11, 10:38 AM
erm, I cant see how? Square peg/round hole.

I was looking at the same thing as my TKO has a leak, but I have read that its fairly normal, so will leave it well alone, lol.
As for yours, have you asked Andy for any tips? Sorry to hear of the problem.

spoonies
27-02-11, 09:02 AM
Hi
Not sure of differences with Mk3 in that area of the chassis, but I took my LT77 out last month without removing engine.
Had to split bell housing and gearbox to do it which makes reassembly more of a challenge, but it is just possible.
Colin

Sidecarbod
27-02-11, 09:18 AM
Hi
Not sure of differences with Mk3 in that area of the chassis, but I took my LT77 out last month without removing engine.
Had to split bell housing and gearbox to do it which makes reassembly more of a challenge, but it is just possible.
Colin

On a Rover lump you can not split the bell housing from the gearbox without first removing the bell housing from the back of the engine. The bolts that hold the gearbox to the bell housing are only accessible from the inside of the bell housing.

Edit...Have I lost the plot, your signature states SBC??? Oh never mind its to early in the morning!

spoonies
27-02-11, 10:10 AM
On a Rover lump you can not split the bell housing from the gearbox without first removing the bell housing from the back of the engine. The bolts that hold the gearbox to the bell housing are only accessible from the inside of the bell housing. As was the case with my SBC and Toyota box.

Edit...Have I lost the plot, your signature states SBC??? Oh never mind its to early in the morning!

It also says sold after SBC and on the next line is the current one!

As you say, too early for accurate reading.

:lol:

alastaid
01-03-11, 01:29 PM
Hi,

If it helps when I changed my LT77, I took the engine and gearbox out together, butI did have access to an engine crane and plenty of room, the extra faffing of splitting water/fuel/oil for the engine versus fighting underneath trying to mate the gearbox and engine seemed worth it. However I am sure this is only because of personal bitter memories of trying to mate gearboxes and engines under cars, it never ever went smoothly for me.

Cheers

Alastair