PDA

View Full Version : Tremec Oil??

wilf
17-08-01, 04:00 PM
Just finished putting my jag diff back together to cure output shaft oil leak. Not a job I want to do again!

However - whilst under the car for so long, I noticed the the gearbox is also gettin' kinda' leaky. Have a tremec TKO, using the Dexron II fluid as recommended. Have small oil leak from shifter area, also I think I can see the signs of some leakage now through the front input shaft seal. Nothing from the rear seal as yet - thats drizabone.
Have seen some posts before about tremecs leaking using the standard oil, so does anyone have a tried and tested alternative? And did it stop the box leaking?

Thanks

WIlf

alex
21-08-01, 04:55 PM
My Tremec leaks also. It did when it was new. It has just been stripped down and rebuilt(not because it leaked) and it still leaks but in a different place. It also has a small leak at he input shaft area. I use Dexron 11 also.

Alex

wilf
21-08-01, 06:14 PM
Alex - my sympathy - ever heard of anyone using a redline transmission oil instead of the DexronII? That's what I want to find out about - the Dexron fluid is so d**m runny it's bound to leak! What did the supplier of your'box say?

Wilf

DanH
22-08-01, 02:14 AM
Wilf-

My understanding is that the Tremec manufacturer advises that nothing but GM Synchromesh transmission fluid should be used in the Tremec 3550 and TKO 5 speed trans. I've heard some people report good results with Redline hi-dollar trans oil in the Tremec, while others have reported that the GM product works best- that Redline gives a "notchy" feel to the shifting [whatever that is]. I went to my local GM dealer to get some Synchromesh fluid for my Tremec and was told that the original part number GM Synchromesh fluid I had requested had been discontinued and replaced with another. This new stuff had a generic-looking label like "GM Manual Transmission Lubricant" or some such. I hope he sold me the proper stuff. I haven't driven the car yet. I have heard of auto trans fluids like Dextron mentioned above being used in the T-5 transmission, however.

I have heard good things about Forte's parts as a source of Tremec parts and info http://www.fortesparts.com/ . I believe that Tremec's website is www.ttcautomotive.com/welcome.htm . There may be some authoritative info sources linked there somewhere.

Dan
Dan

wilf
22-08-01, 10:42 AM
Dan - thanks for your help. Looks as tho' tremec's do resmeble sieves on average, decided not to worry about the few drips I get for the time being. Perhaps after I 've ruined my clutch a Wroughton I might attend to it??

Wilf

RigMan
22-08-01, 02:54 PM
Getting oil out of the shifter sounds a bit extreme...did you overfill it Wilf? Now that you have a tight rear end, I wouldn't like to thin you had a messy front! *chuckle*

RigMan:D

robert
22-08-01, 03:16 PM
>Getting oil out of the shifter sounds a bit extreme...did you overfill
>it Wilf? Now that you have a tight rear end, I wouldn't like to thin
>you had a messy front! *chuckle*

The mind boggles. I certainly wouldn't ask to have a look at Wilfs rear-end, however tight it might be.

>
>RigMan:D

Robert

The Whistler!

John Tisbury
22-08-01, 05:19 PM
Prunes should help!

wilf
22-08-01, 10:17 PM
Glad you are all so interested in my rear end, since that's mostly what you'll see of my car on Saturday!!

Yours in Fords

Wilf

wilf
22-08-01, 10:19 PM
Good point Rigman, but no I didn't overfill it. Have now established that Tremecs can leak from the most surprising of places! My rear end is fine thank you, also dry!

Wilf

wilf
22-08-01, 10:20 PM
John - I am surprised (and a little saddened) to see you sinking to the level of certain GD drivers ( who I am sure have blow-off valves???) - the Crendon Crew should stick together!

Wilf

robert
23-08-01, 10:11 AM
>Glad you are all so interested in my rear end, since that's mostly
>what you'll see of my car on Saturday!!

I suppose that is when you spin out on the bends, or is it when I come round again to lap you?

>
>Yours in Fords
>
>Wilf

Robert

The Whistler!

alex
23-08-01, 12:42 PM
The Tremec manual does say that Dexron II can be used as an alternative.

Alex

wilf
23-08-01, 01:21 PM
Alex - Dexron II is what's in it. I thought this was the only oil recommended. What else did you have in mind?

Wilf

wilf
23-08-01, 01:23 PM
Rob - you did tell me we were just going for a little spin on Saturday didn't you? And yes - if you ain't spinnin, you aint tryin!! Not sure about being lapped tho' - is this like blowing a GD?

Wilf

wilf
29-08-01, 10:22 PM
Alright guys - here's the denoument ( sorry about the French - actually not sorry about the french at all - can't stand the ba***rds).

Had a good trip down to Wroughton last w/e. In fact, maxxed the thing on the M69 - saw 5,000rpm in 5th - works out to 167mph (purely theoretical, officer). Was a happy bunny. (if deafened).

Gave it some serious stick on the track all morning. Just before lunch, spotted some oil (when I say some, I mean lots) dripping from the diff. Seriously pi**ed off about this. Took out my new inspection plate in the boot (had to cut this out when replacing the rear diff cover gasket). Found all diff cover bolts loose - not just a little, but seriously loose - i.e. less than finger tight.
I know I had torqued these up properly, and loctited them to boot. Also the diff was so hot it was painful - discs glowing in the dark.

OH NO - WILF'S REAR END IS WET AGAIN!!!

Tightened the buggers up and gave it more stick after lunch - stopped leaking, but now the diff clonks on drive take up like never before.

OH NO - WILFS REAR END IS BUGGERED! (settle down chaps)

So - if you have a spare 3.31:1 non lsd jag diff with f**k all play in it - let me know!!

Still happy tho', cos' the sucking GD was nowhere to be seen 'cept on my slowing down laps.

Yours in Fords

Wilf