PDA

View Full Version : grating 2nd gear

easthamr
27-08-01, 02:34 PM
I have a rover SD1 box. When changing down from 3rd to 2nd I sometimes get some serious gear grating like I haven't depressed the clutch far enough? It seems to only happen at higher speeds. It will go into gear with a good pull. Do you think the clutch might be on its way out? anyone got any ideas what it might be or how to cure it?

Thank you

Richard Eastham:(

imported_admin
27-08-01, 04:06 PM
Put another box in , and as it happens I have one for sale .

Regards steve

wilf
29-08-01, 10:08 PM
Richard - had similar problems with my previous car (Sumo with Rover V8 & 5 speed box). First thing to check out is - does it go into 1st OK from standstill? If so, unlikely to be clutch. Try going into reverse (which has no synchro) at standstill/from neutral - if no crunching, clutch is clearing OK.

If above OK, try using a lighter oil - Rover 'boxes were specified with (from memory) either an EP 80 or an Auto trans fluid. As far as I understand, the auto trans fluid is lighter on the synchro cones, so might alleviate your downshift problem. Certainly improved mine.

If that doesn't help, then your box is bu**ered (not buttered). If you take it to a decent 'box rebuilder (and I know one just north of Leicester if that helps) remember to ask them to rough up (with medium wet and dry) the new synchro cones, as without this the box will never change smoothly.

Hope this helps

Wilf

robert
29-08-01, 10:19 PM
>remember to ask them to rough up (with medium
>wet and dry) the new synchro cones, as without this the box will never
>change smoothly.

Wilf

You know some unusual stuff which is quite useful really, although unfortunately not Nuts!

:7

wilf
30-08-01, 11:14 AM
Richard - think I had my brain in the wrong way last night! Correct thing to do with new synchro cones on a Rover 5 spd 'box is to have them shot peened (forget the wet and dry thing, I was thinking of summat else).

Hope this helps

Wilf

wilf
30-08-01, 11:15 AM
>You know some unusual stuff which is quite useful really, although
>unfortunately not Nuts!
>
>:7

I don't know, first you exhibit an unnatural interest in my rear end, now your'e after my nuts!!!

Where will it all end?

Wilf}>

BTW, they were bolts.